Author Topic: Alaska trip advise  (Read 29535 times)

Offline RIP50AK

Re: Alaska trip advise
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2015, 09:48:41 AM »
I will likely be traveling on my 2011 Concours from my home in Alaska to the loser 48 in mid to late May. I will try to post up any relevant info on the route. I will pick up a new second motorcycle in Washington so my Son can fly down and do a 14 day tour in the States with me.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 10:45:44 AM »
Sounds like maybe a different bike makes the most sense, something along the lines of a tough ADV style machine like a GS or a V-Strom. I would have personally never even thought of venturing up there on my C14, but think about it often on my V-Strom. Good luck on your adventure, hope KIPASS does not strand you.  ;D
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
hope KIPASS does not strand you.  ;D

Don't even mention it   ;D

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2015, 11:10:29 AM »
I will try to post up any relevant info on the route.

Thanks! :thumbs:

Offline Doenitz

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2015, 12:31:18 PM »
You are absolutely right - there will be not much time for sight seeing...   but this is the way I ride. When I am on a MC trip I go to a different mode - usually do more than 800-900 km a day in some cases more than 1000 (that's why I mostly ride alone).

Sounds like my kind of riding.

Dave
Calgary, Canada

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2015, 12:50:36 PM »

Dave
Calgary, Canada
  :chugbeer:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »
You are absolutely right - there will be not much time for sight seeing...   but this is the way I ride. When I am on a MC trip I go to a different mode - usually do more than 800-900 km a day in some cases more than 1000 (that's why I mostly ride alone).

Dave
Calgary, Canada

Wow....if I cannot stop and enjoy the scenery, or take in the local beauty or fun things to do, doubt I would ever take any trips. To each their own I reckon, but I do not put myself in too much of a time constraint on a trip, if I have to do that......the trip can wait until I have extra time. Crap happens on trips that are out of your control, allowing extra time can save your ass. Guess that is why I would never do an ironbutt ride of any kind, to me it just makes zero sense. A good days ride for me is 400 to 500 miles tops, beyond that I am just miserable and or pushing my luck. Regards and be safe out there.  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2015, 03:45:36 PM »

Wow....if I cannot stop and enjoy the scenery, or take in the local beauty or fun things to do, doubt I would ever take any trips. To each their own I reckon, but I do not put myself in too much of a time constraint on a trip, if I have to do that......the trip can wait until I have extra time. Crap happens on trips that are out of your control, allowing extra time can save your ass. Guess that is why I would never do an ironbutt ride of any kind, to me it just makes zero sense. A good days ride for me is 400 to 500 miles tops, beyond that I am just miserable and or pushing my luck. Regards and be safe out there.  :thumbs:
Iron Butt makes zero sense to me either and even tough I am used to ride long distances I am not planning to do any of the Iron Butt rides. I ride long hours and distances because I like it, not because I have to. But you said it right - to each their own reckon.  :thumbs:

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »

Dave
Calgary, Canada

Doenitz, did you ever try that riding style on a Vincent?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2015, 04:38:27 AM »

+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2015, 08:19:30 AM »

I have done some long days just to get home or to get to the area I want to ride but I agree completely. In fact the very best trips I've taken there was only a general direction in mind when I left, and have ridden for a week where every day was unplanned. You see and discover things you never would have if you planned the destination.

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »
Everyone has different preferences.  :thumbs:

I love riding but I live in Canada - very short riding season here. Whatever number of days in this short season I can allocate for riding I take as long as possible of this days on the bike, riding it. Not because I have to, but because I love to. When I am on a ride day I do not feel like stopping for a beer or nice dining as to me this is simply waste of riding time. I do not feel like pushing myself to ride. I am just letting my riding hungry self do what I want to do - ride, ride and ride. Some times even after more than 1000 km day I still want to ride more and more and then I push myself -  to stop for the night... and that sucks... ;)

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
I've been watching this post and can't wait for the pictures and ride report. All the advise given is sound and like it was mentioned" better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".  I will be doing a couple BC trips this season and confirm that we have an unfairly short season. So when we ride .. We Ride.. and then talk about all the sights we should have stopped and taken pictures of. My wife bought be a GoPro this Christmas in hope of seeing some of the sights I rave about. The Alaska trips is on my list but not this year.

the Local Calgary guys should get together for some rides this year for sure!

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2015, 12:39:03 PM »

the Local Calgary guys should get together for some rides this year for sure!
[/quote]

+1

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
May be we should start a new tread and even may be a group for Calgary C14ers  :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »
You guys almost got enough for a gang.  :)

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »
 :)

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »
You guys almost got enough for a gang.  :)

Your more than welcome to come up here during our riding season there are a few roads in BC that rival the Dragon.  8)
 :chugbeer: :grouphug:

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2015, 09:54:06 PM »
May be we should start a new tread and even may be a group for Calgary C14ers  :)

That's a great Idea :chugbeer:

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2015, 09:56:02 PM »
Your more than welcome to come up here during our riding season there are a few roads in BC that rival the Dragon.  8)
 :chugbeer: :grouphug:

I agree