Author Topic: Alaska trip advise  (Read 29527 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Alaska trip advise
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
If it didn't change then it definitely needs the protector...  Hmm I though it did.  Oh well.  I knew about the drain bolt.  That was an idiotic place to put it originally.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
Maybe better to ride something you could pick up off of yourself, by yourself if you had to.

This is a good point. I practiced picking it up in my garage after I installed my Top-Block protectors and I had no problems then. But I am sure it would be much harder if at all possible when it is on wet and muddy surface...

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2014, 09:32:23 AM »
For those interested … http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html … I've met the infamous, tiny Skert; and she can show anyone how to pick up any bike in all but the slickest conditions.

Alaska trip ! It's amazing that some can do this on street tires and others fail on adventure bikes. Weather, weather, Weather I suppose. Have fun and enjoy it to the max! Take lots of detours and wrong turns and pictures and … well, you've gotten lots of good advice so far.

I don't care for the oil filter guard. I would actually cut it in half and use it counter-intuitively as a heat shield above the filter rather than as a skid plate/rock guard. However, for Alaska!, I would put one on. I also rely on a fender extender and no radiator guard. However, for Alaska….(!) there's a theme here. You're taking a Connie into the wild!

Whether you think you can or can't you're right!

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2014, 10:12:09 AM »
Thanks SevenAce !

Offline lddave

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
Get a Spot tracker , family and friends can follow your progress and you can summon help if  needed .
Dave
IBA 178

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
This sounds tempting, checking into it now, thanks lddave!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »
I don't leave home without it on more than day trips.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2014, 06:56:26 PM »
I'm planning a trip to Alaska on 2017 from Venezuela.
But, on my vstrom !!!!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2014, 07:01:20 PM »
Glad to see you again, JH.  Still got the C14?

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »
Hi !!!!
of course I still have my connie and I love it.
I have a special surprise maybe in two weeks.
You'll see.

I always read the post, but because the work I don't have enough time to replay.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2014, 10:23:09 PM »
The V-Storm is better bike for a trip to Alaska for sure

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
The V-Storm is better bike for a trip to Alaska for sure

Says you! As soon as I find some adventure tires to fit, I'll take my BIG PIG anywhere!  I've definitely taken it places I shouldn't, like on our clubs supercross track! She definitely could use a bit more clearance!  But I was just funnin! It wad good for a dare and some photos. I didn't get any, but plenty ppl took them!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
All I'm saying is that to me the V-Storm is more appropriate than the C14 for the unpaved parts of the Dalton Highway. I am going with the C14 anyway  ;)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »
If an when I ride to Alaska I plan to ride something better off pavement then my C14. Would really like to do it on something like the KTM 1190 ADV but assuming I will never be able to afford that, I'll do it on my little old Suzuki DR650.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 08:09:46 AM »
I was in some doctors office a few years ago and saw a magazine  (I don't recall the name) that was about long distance riding (pretty nice niche, eh?).
It had a story about the ride you want to go on. The article advised against using a bike like a connie; i think they used an adventure style bmw.
One of the things they stressed was the lack of gas stations on the trip. Seeing how thirsty the connie is, you might want to strap on more than a gallon of fuel, as a gallon in the rough stuff will get you maybe 35 miles?
Sounded like a good trip but that road sounds like hell if there is a lot of rain.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »
My road dog made that trip on an Untra Classic Electra Glide several years ago. He had no problem making it there and back on a Harley. Completely ate up a set of tires  and rattled loose a bunch of parts but that was all. On a Kawasaki you'll be fine.

That trip is a bucket list item for me. I have been to Alaska  twice and it is AMAZING. I have had the opportunity to see a lot of different places all over the world, Alaska is the only place outside of the lower 48 I have any desire to go back to. Unless, of course,  I need to avoid extradition ;-)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
Check out Rick's Alaska trip on a C-10 a couple of years back. This is part one of seven parts on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T578lzlENSY
Did this play ok for you? I had to VPN to another country to get it to play

I have never been to Alaska but by the sounds of things and these videos it sure looks like something I would like to do. The DRZ650 or my KLR650 sounds like the better bike to do it with.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Gsun

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »
Played fine. I just tried it again and no problem. Must be the North Koreans....

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
I used to live in Alaska and drove the Alcan in about 1964. There's a book, I believe it's called "Milepost" that gives information on every mile of the trip including services etc. We used to consider it mandatory for the trip but now it may not be. I'd definitely have one just in case. And yes to the mosquito repellant, they are big enough to drill holes in the windscreen, and can drive mamels crazy. Also, take twice as much money and half the "stuff".
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:52:01 AM by philipintexas »
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com