Author Topic: Alaska trip advise  (Read 29542 times)

Offline tchinkov

Re: Alaska trip advise
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »
I believe the mile posts are still in use.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
Also, take twice as much money and half the "stuff".

+1 to that!

I do once a year a trip like the one you're planning and although after the 6th trip I managed to cut down my luggage to one side bag, I still find myself taking too much. As for the money, take what you think you'll need and 2 credit cards. I've been in more than 25 countries so far with the C14 since march 09 when I bought it, always on paved roads, and I can't see myself selling it.
There might be better bikes, I don't know, but I like my bike.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
 :finger_fing11:

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »
I have more details on my trip now:
I am leaving on June 13 and will be back home (Calgary) on June 25. My better half insisted to book hotels instead of campsites.  She showed me a blog of somebody’s trip to Alaska riding the same route and he saw 19 bears on the road in one day. My wife was against this trip since the beginning as she was extremely afraid of bears and in the end she convinced me (she always wins) to at least sleep in hotels/motels.   The route is: Calgary > Dawson Creek, BC > Watson Lake, Yukon > Cottonwood Park, Yukon > Fairbanks, AK > Wiseman, AK > Deadhorse, AK > Wiseman, AK > Fairbanks, AK > Cottonwood Park, Yukon > Watson Lake, Yukon > Prince Rupert, BC > Prince George, BC > Calgary. The trip will be 13 days, 12 nights, about 9000 kilometers/5600 miles. All hotels/motels/BBs are now booked. I am working on appropriate gear/equipment now. Here is what I purchased so far:

For the rider

First gear Jaunt T2 Adventure Jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-jaunt-t2-jacket
This is a 3.5 season jacket, highly rated and reasonably priced. I got it from eBay for $99 + $25 US shipping.

Heated jacket liner from Gears Canada
http://www.gearscanada.com/heated-clothing/heated-clothing/gen-x-3-men-s-warm-tek-heated-jacket-liner.html
What I like about this heated liner is that the heating elements are throughout the whole jacket including the sleeves and even the collar not just few heated patches. I got it from a booth at Calgary Motorcycle Show new for $150 CAD - fantastic price for what it is.

AXO Freedom GT WP Boots
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/axo-freedom-gt-wp-boots
What I like about these boots is the BOA lace system. I paid around $230 CAD incl. delivery

I will also get the Tour Master Venture Air Pants
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-venture-air-pants
Very versatile 3-3.5 season pants that I believe will do the job. I am still looking for the best price.

For the bike:

Dimotiv DMV Side Stand Enlarger
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimotiv-DMV-Side-Stand-Enlarger-for-Kawasaki-ZX-14R-GTR1400-CONCOURS-14-/141409092319?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20eca382df&vxp=mtr
Like the shape more than any other side stand enlarger. About $55 US delivered from eBay

Fender Extender
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200983202358?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I believe I will removed after the trip so I went with the cheapest option on eBay - $37 US delivered

Jump Start Backup Battery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171442934164?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I do not want to be stuck with drawn battery in the middle of nowhere. $67 US delivered

Radiator protector
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Radiator-Grille-Guard-Cover-Protector-For-KAWASAKI-ZZR1400-GTR1400-Concours-/361041887455?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540fc600df&vxp=mtr
I have purchased same as this about one year ago (at higher price then  >:( )

I am getting more and more exited as the orders are arriving. To cold now in Calgary even in the garage to start installing them on the bike…
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:55:32 PM by tchinkov »

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »
Best of luck on your trip. Post lots pics. And a good long trip story.

Hey it's only -2 here now, thoughts of your trip will keep you warm while prepping your ride.

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 09:16:34 PM »
 :finger_fing11:

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2015, 09:57:05 PM »
 ;D We'll have to get together in the spring for a Kanaskis - Longview run.  8)

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
Sure!
You are welcome to join me for the Alaska trip as well  if you wish  :)

Offline UhOh

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2015, 01:47:56 AM »
I have more details on my trip now:...
 The trip will be 13 days, 12 nights, about 9000 kilometers/5600 miles.

430 miles per day average; day in/ day out.  Hope you can have time for sightseeing and fun at the same time.
Never been to Alaska, so hope you post photos and a trip report - whatever it is will be good.  'Tis a request!

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2015, 05:57:01 AM »
Sure!
You are welcome to join me for the Alaska trip as well  if you wish  :)

Ok sounds good.
That's tempting!!
Actually planning a trip to Prince Rupert - Ferry ride to Vancouver island then back to Calgary on the southern BC highways this summer.
 :chugbeer:

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »

Ok sounds good.
That's tempting!!
Actually planning a trip to Prince Rupert - Ferry ride to Vancouver island then back to Calgary on the southern BC highways this summer.
 :chugbeer:
This sounds good too !

Offline jonathan

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »
;D We'll have to get together in the spring for a Kanaskis - Longview run.  8)

You don't mind if I tag along?

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »
Sure, you are welcome

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2015, 09:04:03 AM »
430 miles per day average; day in/ day out.  Hope you can have time for sightseeing and fun at the same time.
Never been to Alaska, so hope you post photos and a trip report - whatever it is will be good.  'Tis a request!
You are absolutely right - there will be not much time for sight seeing...   but this is the way I ride. When I am on a MC trip I go to a different mode - usually do more than 800-900 km a day in some cases more than 1000 (that's why I mostly ride alone). My sight seeing is at 100km/h :) If I like something much enough, then I decide to go there again, not on a motorcycle. It rarely happens tough...  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »
Sure, you are welcome

I suspect that type of ride (long, isolated, treacherous) is always much safer with more people.  More eyes for danger spotting, more people to help in emergency, more capacity for carrying additional stuff that doesn't need to be duplicated, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »
You are right maxtog it would be better with at least one more rider. But I will try it just by myself if I have to

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2015, 07:28:58 AM »
Here is the world's best resource for ANYTHING to do with the combo of motorcycling and Alaska.  Thank me later  ;)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2015, 11:48:02 AM »
Thanks stevewfl

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
You don't mind if I tag along?

Sounds like a plan. The more the merrier  ;D

Offline tchinkov

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »