Author Topic: Center Stand and Side Stand Damaging Garage Floor  (Read 23742 times)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
Center Stand and Side Stand Damaging Garage Floor
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »
Hey guys, my wife and I are about to finalize the purchase of our "new" (to us) house.  I'm going to great extent to prep and properly seal the garage floor before we actually move in.   I have noticed that the center-stand has put some significant scratches in the garage floor where we currently live, and want to avoid that at the new place.

For the side-stand I put a small 1 foot square piece of 3/4" plywood down, but I can't do that with the center stand as it would make it way too hard for me to roll it back. 

What do you guys do?
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Center Stand and Side Stand Damaging Garage Floor
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
I use the center stand and I don't care about the concrete floor.  They do make some sort of roller system that's been discussed previously.  Someone should chime in about that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »
I leave my floor raw concrete complete with oil stains. That way I can use it however I want and never worry about such stuff. But thats just me. What about using a rubberized tool dip?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
Like this: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Don't know how it would hold up though.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »
I know most guys don't care, but I'm weird like that. I like a clean organized shop, with proper care taken to avoid damage...

Plastidip would come off the second I used it on a non-smooth surface, and after about 5 uses on the garage. 
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
I use the center stand and I don't care about the concrete floor.  They do make some sort of roller system that's been discussed previously.  Someone should chime in about that.

As for the roller system, I do plan on doing something like that, haven't decided what yet tho, and in the mean time don't want to do too much damage.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 09:33:13 AM »
What about a small section of area rug or carpet remnants?  Protects the floor and might just catch any leaks you possibly have.  Shouldn't take any extra effort to lift the bike onto the centerstand, and it would be small enough to put away when you want the clean look.  I've never measured the distance of the centerstand feet but it seems like a 4" x 8" piece would work for both?

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:25:59 AM »
I have mat down on the floor where the street bike parks, former HD years so I have to still suffer with the Harley colors. the rest of the floor has foam tiles around the lift and in front of the lift is where my quad parks so that is bare...or mud covered depending on the day.

The mat Virginiajim is similar to what I have, but it was purchased as tiles.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »
The Harbor Freight  roll around floor rail stand has polymer wheels, but does not allow using the centerstand. It is robust, and very afordable.
Other than that I,m sure a couple vinyl floor tiles would suffice.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »
I have mat down on the floor where the street bike parks, former HD years so I have to still suffer with the Harley colors. the rest of the floor has foam tiles around the lift and in front of the lift is where my quad parks so that is bare...or mud covered depending on the day.

The mat Virginiajim is similar to what I have, but it was purchased as tiles.

Yeah, a rubber mat seems like a good option... May have to see if I can find a good deal on one around here. Hadn't thought of that.

The Harbor Freight  roll around floor rail stand has polymer wheels, but does not allow using the centerstand. It is robust, and very afordable.
Other than that I,m sure a couple vinyl floor tiles would suffice.

I've thought about that too but haven't decided... I know I'll be putting a lift of some sort in eventually as well, so there doesn't seem much point to a rolly thing if I have a lift.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

sailor_chic

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »
I used Rust-Oleum 2 part epoxy on our my garage floor and it has held up extremely well now for almost 6 yrs. When I park my bike(s), I puck kickstand puck under the side-stand, and when the time comes to use the center-stand, I put a 2'x2'x1/8'' masonite  board under the center-stand. I am kinda of a fanatic about keeping things looking nice.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
I agree that 3/4" plywood would be a real struggle to get the bike up on to.  But how about some thinner product?  1/4" might work OK or even a small piece of sheet steel.  Heck you'd have to replace it now and then but I'll bet a piece of cardboard would do the job.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 01:54:19 PM »
What's the name of that board that's thin and hard surfaced?  I've got some that I've cut up and put on the dining room table for my experiments and such.  Hardboard?

sailor_chic

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »
What's the name of that board that's thin and hard surfaced?  I've got some that I've cut up and put on the dining room table for my experiments and such.  Hardboard?

Masonite!! See my post ^^^

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »
 :doh:   This is what happens when you get old...I've forgot more than I'll ever know.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »
I used Rust-Oleum 2 part epoxy on our my garage floor and it has held up extremely well now for almost 6 yrs. When I park my bike(s), I puck kickstand puck under the side-stand, and when the time comes to use the center-stand, I put a 2'x2'x1/8'' masonite  board under the center-stand. I am kinda of a fanatic about keeping things looking nice.

Many years ago I power washed the garage concrete, scrubbed with, then power washed it again (with the high-power rotating blaster tip), then chemically etched it with the acid stuff in the kit, then used two-part epoxy paint as instructed.  It still scratched.  And where the car tires sit,  the paint pulled up :(   Now it looks worse than if I had never painted it.  :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »
Steve
4 ×8 sheet of 1/2 inch plywood works well for me,  large enough to park on and keeps floor damage free.
SW Roadrunner

Offline Gsun

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
You guys probably wash your bikes too!! It's a floor. Just don't look down.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 04:12:16 AM »
Works for me..