Author Topic: Center Stand and Side Stand Damaging Garage Floor  (Read 23743 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: Center Stand and Side Stand Damaging Garage Floor
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 02:28:41 PM »
I think that wins the prize!

It really is good stuff, and you can usually get it for free. My old man has two lengths of it in his garage where he parks his tractor. Not that the tractor tires will hurt anything, but when he has the ring chains on the back tires they will;).

Hockey rinks often use old rubber conveyor belting in the hallways and dressing rooms so the kids don't have to walk on the concrete with their skates on;). Maybe it's a frugal Canadian thing?;)...lol.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
sailorchic.....after seeing the picture of your garage I feel like I should go home and clean mine out! Maybe my wife is right, there is too much crap in mine, you can barely walk through it.

That is a very nice garage I must say. Well laid out with all kinds of convenience items within a step or two. Very well done.
I'd take that garage over many others that are much bigger.

(Mine is close to the same size....it forces you to manage your space wisely;).

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »
I try to be tolerant of others but that is just too much- you have gone over the proverbial line with those photos! I will ask Jim to remove those photos as soon as possible and I have to say that I think you are a horrible representative of the general Concours owner community.

:rotflmao:

Your garage is making the rest of us look bad....that garage looks nicer than my living room.....  :thumbs: :hail:

Brian (yep, I are a slob and you are the 'anti- slob' apparently)

Here is a couple pics of my garage, and my "kids". The floor is the Rust Oleum 2 part epoxy. Knock on wood, but I have never had a problem with parking hot tires on the floor. I have done this hundreds of times in 6 yrs. I am very impressed with this coating and would definitely do it again if the need arose.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline petepro

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
I used two pieces of self stick kitchen floor tile that was left from the remodel.  After a few years they were starting to get chewed up, but they came up with a thick putty knife and two more were less than $3.

That is what I was going to suggest.   That or square electrical junction box covers glued to an old mouse pad.
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
Small world: I have been exposed (Easy Boys!) to that stuff before it is 'born'. Unvulcanized rubber is interleaved (called a 'ply up' in the industry) with layers of material such as Kevlar and Aramid fiber mats, squeezed together and cured to make an incredibly strong, durable conveyor belt for earth moving and mining use. It is the same stuff that makes tires (made by the same company that makes tire carcass material too) which is where the 'ply rating' comes from. Some belts are a mile long or more. As the material strip is made, the final roll size of product gets rather large (12') diameter and weighs 50,000 lbs. not including the carriage it is being held on.... which weighs another 50,000 lbs. itself. So a full on, finished product package weighs 50 ton and get this: it moves across the production floor to be off- loaded by an overhead crane some distance from the ply-up portion of the production line. All automated too- no human intervention used during the off- loading cycle, and it was a major concern to move something like that in a factory in an area where humans could not be excluded from. Sorta' like a freight train moving through a rail yard on 'automatic'.

Brian

Speaking of cheap frugal, if you really want a durable rubber mat for next to nothing (or no money) just drop by a gravel pit or rock quarry, etc and ask for a few feet of conveyor belt. It's usually 3-4 feet wide, and they'll have old rolls of it laying around that you can cut pieces off. It's about the toughest stuff you can get your hands on, and they buy it in rolls that are bigger than a minivan, so they often have 'extra' laying around somewhere;)

Rem
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
I guess this has turned into how cheap frugal one can get with protecting the floor....  A vinyl remnant perhaps?

I use air. Do I win?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »
Speaking of cheap frugal, if you really want a durable rubber mat for next to nothing (or no money) just drop by a gravel pit or rock quarry, etc and ask for a few feet of conveyor belt. It's usually 3-4 feet wide, and they'll have old rolls of it laying around that you can cut pieces off. It's about the toughest stuff you can get your hands on, and they buy it in rolls that are bigger than a minivan, so they often have 'extra' laying around somewhere;)

You mean like the 1/2" x 60" x 750-Foot Belt I'll be exchanging off of the barge this winter?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
Business opportunity, T! :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »
You mean like the 1/2" x 60" x 750-Foot Belt I'll be exchanging off of the barge this winter?

Haha...yes, that's exactly what I mean...lol. What do you do with the old belting? I don't need any personally...I'm just curious;).

Rem 8)

Offline andydude

• Giddy up .....Let's Ride !!
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 05:05:14 PM »
 :popcorn:  :popcorn:
2012 Black C14

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »
Haha...yes, that's exactly what I mean...lol. What do you do with the old belting? I don't need any personally...I'm just curious;).

Rem 8)

Well I don't get to keep it all for myself that's for sure..... But usually it ends up in garages, shops, barns, shooting ranges etc closest to the office personnel of the company I work for..... Once they've had their fill and it gets in their way long enough its off to the scrapper it goes....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2014, 09:23:53 PM »

Rem

BINGO!  That is going to be the answer! 

Seriously, this thread took off in a major way and I really appreciate everyone's answers... TONS of good ideas in this forum.  I hadn't thought about conveyer belt, and now that it's mentioned, I'll probably see if I can pick up more than just one piece to use for other things in the garage as well. 

I am going to be cleaning, acid etching, and using a penetrating sealer.  I ordered this stuff which is supposed to be the best stuff in the market right now. Won't have peeling issues, and it's supposed to do a FANTASTIC job of keeping the garage floor looking clean, and not stained etc. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E55B8GQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00E55B8GQ&linkCode=as2&tag=allgaragefloors-20&linkId=NKI7SXEFRU6O7LVV
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

sailor_chic

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
Hey Guys, Thanks for the kind words about my garage. I have spent a lot of time getting it that way, but it was well worth the effort. I grew up with a father that was a complete slob, and I think that has forced me in the neat freak direction. Plus those awesome bikes deserve a nice home to live in.

Brian, speaking of living room, heres a pic of my Max in my condo right after I first bought him. Certainly couldnt consider leaving him outside. Gotta take care of my boys!

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
If you park it in the same location every time, pick up a couple pieces of stick on vinyl flooring. Home depot has them for like $.90 a piece and they are super durable.

sailor_chic

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »
If you park it in the same location every time, pick up a couple pieces of stick on vinyl flooring. Home depot has them for like $.90 a piece and they are super durable.

I agree on their durability. I use them for the top on my workbench. When they get bad, I simply peel the bad ones up and replace.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2014, 05:53:58 PM »
Hey Guys, Thanks for the kind words about my garage. I have spent a lot of time getting it that way, but it was well worth the effort. I grew up with a father that was a complete slob, and I think that has forced me in the neat freak direction. Plus those awesome bikes deserve a nice home to live in.

Brian, speaking of living room, heres a pic of my Max in my condo right after I first bought him. Certainly couldnt consider leaving him outside. Gotta take care of my boys!

Single, right? :)

sailor_chic

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »
For my 20 foot V-nose that acts as my garage while I'm on the road, I found a 12"x12" piece of steel that is about 1/8" thick. It works. I used to have a motorcycle lift for my HD Street Glide but I got rid of it when I said I swore of motorcycles :)  What was I thinking?
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
 :doh:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline KaTieM505

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »
I have used Rustolium in my 30x36 shop. It's junk. Doesn't hold up and I've had the same peeling problems as previously mentioned.  Granitex stays down and you cannot scratch it. Oil leaks do not stain. Best floor covering by far. Made by same folks as Vortex bedliners. Google it for a dealer. It's well worth the money.