Author Topic: UPDATE: Leaking Final Drive :(  (Read 23944 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Leaking Final Drive :(
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 05:37:29 AM »
Shouldn't be any thought about it.  You've got the extended warranty.  It should be covered completely with no questions.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwolffie

Re: Leaking Final Drive :(
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »
After the repair is done remove the large c clip and take the plate off of the inside of the rear rim where the rubber cushions are. The wheel will capture and store some of the lube and it will slowly leak out more gear lube onto the rim. The dealer didn't do that so when I went back with a leak after they resealed it Kawasaki had them give me a new differential to cure the leak because it is still under warranty. It still had a leak after the new differential was installed so I pulled the wheel myself and found about 2 ounces of oil in the rear wheel, I cleaned it out and problem solved. I hate going to the dealer! It also took them 3 trips to the dealer to program in new passive FOB's, they let me do it myself and show them how to do it on the third trip in so I got that done for free. They should have paid me to do it.
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
UPDATE: Leaking Final Drive :(
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
UPDATE.

Got the bike back today, and, I have an oil free wheel and tire. Glad that I got the extended warranty.

Part replaced:

92033-1074, Snap Ring
92046-1169, Needle Bearing
92049-1025, Oil Seal
92049-1280, Oil Seal
92055-3771, O-Ring

Smaller inner seal and larger outer seal replaced. Dealer stated that it was the larger of the two that was leaking, but replaced both.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: UPDATE: Leaking Final Drive :(
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »
Smaller inner seal and larger outer seal replaced. Dealer stated that it was the larger of the two that was leaking, but replaced both.

Yeah, it would be crazy to have it all apart and not replace an old rubber seal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline digger

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
On the BMW sites they'd be screaming, "ANOTHER FINAL DRIVE FAILURE."

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
Well, a couple of random thoughts about that.

1) this is not a drive failure, it is a leak. When mine developed the same leak some years ago, I taped a paper towel 'band' around the joint and kept riding until the dealer had the parts and was able to get the bike in for repair. They literally changed the seals and bearing while I waited. This is quite different than the BMW drives failing mechanically and stopping the bike from being ridden.

2) KiPass weeds out the 'faint of heart' long before a final drive leak. Wayne (Cigarski) has been around long enough to be tough and not a hand- wringing 'Mary Jane Tinklepants'. He got it fixed and moved forward with the rest of his life.

3) Japanese motorcycle owners tend to be much more realistic than BMW owners. I say that as a member- in- good- standing of a BMW group because I have found it to be true. Japanese bike riders simply do not use or look for any Kool Aid and <more or less> accept the world as it is. Again, look at Wayne: he was not ridiculously emotional about this, got it fixed under warranty and will move forward.

4) So far Kawasaki final drives simply leak; they do not seize or catch on fire. That really helps owners / riders deal with the issue in a calmer manner.

All with tongue firmly in cheek of course.  ;D

Brian

On the BMW sites they'd be screaming, "ANOTHER FINAL DRIVE FAILURE."
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
LOL!

As a bonus, they did a pretty decent job of cleaning that nasty looking rear wheel. Winter salt has not been kind to it.
COG 9250

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 04:22:36 PM »
Where is the leaking oil from? Is it the final drive itself (the reservoir that is slotted and requires a special tool, or a quarter held by a pair of pliers)?

My FD was full (I changed it anyway).

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »
One more example of the exchange on our monies, you use a quarter and I have to use a twonie .  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »
Dolomoto.

The dealer said that the larger of the two seals was leaking, but replaced both.
COG 9250

Offline ruffride

Final drive leak??
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »
Hi all,
Sorry if I missed a post that covers this. Bike has 340 miles on it. Bought new with 3. I am breaking it in out on country roads and I notice this on my Back rim. It seems like the final drive is seeping. Is this normal for these bikes? Thanks for the help.

Enjoy the ride

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Final drive leak??
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 05:20:42 PM »
Hi all,
Sorry if I missed a post that covers this. Bike has 340 miles on it. Bought new with 3. I am breaking it in out on country roads and I notice this on my Back rim. It seems like the final drive is seeping. Is this normal for these bikes? Thanks for the help.

No, it is not normal.  And certainly extremely rare when new.  Mine has never leaked.  They will leak when they are overfilled, however.... and if the dealer improperly overfilled it, then that would explain it.  You can either check and adjust the level yourself, or take it back to the dealer (which is what I would do) and have them fix it under warranty.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 05:24:59 PM »
It seems like the final drive is seeping. Is this normal for these bikes?
My new 2015 also had a greasy rear wheel. Not as bad as yours, but only rode it home for 35 miles. It could very well be leftover from assembly, or dealer spilled fluid and didn't clean up. You can't really overfill it on this bike... unless you do it on purpose, since fluid leaks out of the hole. I'm not going to worry about it for now. Just clean the wheel, check that fluid level is fine, change the FD oil when you change the engine oil, and keep an eye on fluid level at the SAME EXACT spot (on centerstand) if you keep seeing that. If fluid drops, then you'd have a leaky seal for sure. But my guess is our seals will be just fine. Need to research which fluid to use; I want a fully-synthetic one, since there's very little of it in there. And will change it at every oil change (cheap insurance). Hope this helps.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »
The final drive is easily overfilled if you rotate the wheel as you're filling.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
You can't really overfill it on this bike... unless you do it on purpose, since fluid leaks out of the hole.

It can be overfilled, but it is not terribly easy since it is generally designed not to be :)  If the bike is not level- that would be the major cause.  Of course, if you were to do it on the side stand, it would be underfilled, so it would be mostly only an issue if it were on a center stand or other centering stand but yet the ground it is on was not level.  You can also turn the wheel while filling, which is another no-no, because the thick "oil" will cling to the rotating parts, causing an overfill condition.  Or if you spin the wheel BEFORE filling and have not given it adequate time for the oil to settle.

elp_jc

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 10:53:27 PM »
It is VERY clearly spelled in the manual NOT to rotate the rear wheel while filling. That's why I said the only way to overfill (or underfill) the final drive is on purpose. Or if you just don't know what you're doing. Having said that, once a seal leaks, there's no going back; it needs to be replaced. My point is there's no need to jump to conclusions right away if the FD wasn't overfilled; just clean the wheel, check fluid level, and keep watching both. No harm at all. I wouldn't want a dealer taking my brand new bike apart without being sure it needs to. At any rate, my final drive is not overfilled, so I'm not worried about a seal issue at the moment. But the fluid looks like molasses, so will definitely replace it at the first oil change. Have a good one.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »
My new 2015 also had a greasy rear wheel. Not as bad as yours, but only rode it home for 35 miles. It could very well be leftover from assembly, or dealer spilled fluid and didn't clean up. You can't really overfill it on this bike... unless you do it on purpose, since fluid leaks out of the hole. I'm not going to worry about it for now. Just clean the wheel, check that fluid level is fine, change the FD oil when you change the engine oil, and keep an eye on fluid level at the SAME EXACT spot (on centerstand) if you keep seeing that. If fluid drops, then you'd have a leaky seal for sure. But my guess is our seals will be just fine. Need to research which fluid to use; I want a fully-synthetic one, since there's very little of it in there. And will change it at every oil change (cheap insurance). Hope this helps.

Changing the final drive fluid every 5,000 miles is way overkill IMHO once the initial change is done at 600 miles. I do mine every 10,000 with synthetic Valvoline. When filling on center stand, make sure not to fill to the top of bolt threads- leave a little below and it will never leak.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 04:58:05 AM »

Changing the final drive fluid every 5,000 miles is way overkill IMHO once the initial change is done at 600 miles. I do mine every 10,000 with synthetic Valvoline. When filling on center stand, make sure not to fill to the top of bolt threads- leave a little below and it will never leak.

It may or may not need changing at every engine oil change but it's SO easy to change and it doesn't take much gear oil to fill it up, why not do it? You have to do something, besides drinking a beer, while you wait for the engine oil to drain right?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 05:53:56 AM »
It may or may not need changing at every engine oil change but it's SO easy to change and it doesn't take much gear oil to fill it up, why not do it? You have to do something, besides drinking a beer, while you wait for the engine oil to drain right?

+1