Author Topic: UPDATE: Leaking Final Drive :(  (Read 23901 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: UPDATE: Leaking Final Drive :(
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 06:29:09 AM »
definitely not as important as a charged FOB battery
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:56 AM »
Imagine what could be accomplished by hooking a KIPASS FOB directly to the power grid.  ;D

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »
Wasn't that Nicolai Tesla's plan?

Imagine what could be accomplished by hooking a KIPASS FOB directly to the power grid.  ;D
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 07:13:54 AM »
Wasn't that Nicolai Tesla's plan?

Its playing out well  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Final drive leak??
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 04:45:02 AM »
No, it is not normal.  And certainly extremely rare when new.  Mine has never leaked.  They will leak when they are overfilled, however.... and if the dealer improperly overfilled it, then that would explain it.  You can either check and adjust the level yourself, or take it back to the dealer (which is what I would do) and have them fix it under warranty.

+1.  Take it back to the dealer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2015, 05:07:40 AM »
Hi all,
Sorry if I missed a post that covers this. Bike has 340 miles on it. Bought new with 3. I am breaking it in out on country roads and I notice this on my Back rim. It seems like the final drive is seeping. Is this normal for these bikes? Thanks for the help.

Just as an FYI, you should not suspect a leaking final drive seal unless you're seeing gear oil drip on the ground when the bike is parked on the side stand. If the rear wheel drive splines are lubed with regular grease and/or too much regular grease, it will fling all over the rear wheel hub and rim and look like a final drive oil leak. Gear oil will make more of a uniform coating.

I've witnessed both scenarios, and there are a lot of C14's running around with improperly lubed splines, which are flinging grease all over the back wheel. If the final drive is leaking actual gear oil, it will be all over everything and will be leaking on the ground. If it's just excess (incorrect) spline lube, it will show up in little "runs" on the wheel hub, and will fling on to the rim a little bit as well.

If the final drive gear oil is overfilled a little bit, it won't hurt the seals, but it will make a mess next time you remove the fill cap and the excess oil runs out.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
That pic looks common with what I've seen on an overzealous lube of the splines, especially because of the silvery color, moly grease looks like that...
On all the units that I've seen with actual seal issues, you will see it dripping at the bottom of the housing, and it won't be gray/silver, but  golden /yellow lube.
Easy to check though, let it sit overnight on the sidestand, pop the cap off... have rags handy, and if it overflows it had too much lube... simply suck some out using a turkey baster.... clean the rim and keep an eye on it. Next tire change clean the splines, and don't over grease them..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »
Regardless of cause, it isn't normal on a bike with 340 miles on it.  Take it back to the dealer and tell them to 'fix' it. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2015, 02:36:39 PM »
If the final drive gear oil is overfilled a little bit, it won't hurt the seals
Very good remark Rem. I was pleasantly surprised to see the final drive vented. BMWs don't have it vented, so the slightest overfilling blows a seal. And as I said, I fully agree with you. Who wants to waste time taking a new motorcycle to a dealer without knowing they have a problem? If fluid level doesn't go down, you DO NOT have a leak. But to each his own, I guess. Have a good one folks.

Offline ruffride

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »
Thank you all, I will check with the dealer to see what they say. I did not know about the vent...cool
Enjoy the ride