Poll

Have you tried the "TPS Calibration" Procedure?  What are your findings?  (After you vote here, Describe your actual findings in a post, and please note the mileage you believe the issue started, and the current mileage on your bike.)

Gen 1, Throttle Issues Before, Running Smooth After.
2 (2.7%)
Gen 1, Throttle Issues Before, No Change.
1 (1.3%)
Gen 1, Throttle Issues Before, Running Rough After.
0 (0%)
Gen 1, Throttle OK Before, Running Smooth After.
3 (4%)
Gen 1, Throttle OK Before, No Change.
10 (13.3%)
Gen 1, Throttle OK Before, Running Rough After.
0 (0%)
-------------------------------BREAK-------------------------------
0 (0%)
Gen 2, Throttle Issues Before, Running Smooth After.
7 (9.3%)
Gen 2, Throttle Issues Before, No Change.
1 (1.3%)
Gen 2, Throttle Issues Before, Running Rough After.
0 (0%)
Gen 2, Throttle OK Before, Running Smooth After.
1 (1.3%)
Gen 2, Throttle OK Before, No Change.
2 (2.7%)
Gen 2, Throttle OK Before, Running Rough After.
0 (0%)
-------------------------------BREAK-------------------------------
0 (0%)
Engine WARM when calibration sequence was run.
11 (14.7%)
Engine COLD when calibration sequence was run.
13 (17.3%)
Have you unplugged your battery, and the issues started AFTER the battery unplug?
1 (1.3%)
Have you unplugged your battery, but the issues started BEFORE the battery unplug?
2 (2.7%)
After Calibration FUEL MILEAGE INCREASED (Assuming same riding style)
2 (2.7%)
After Calibration FUEL MILEAGE DECREASED (Assuming same riding style)
0 (0%)
Did your Idle INCREASE?
1 (1.3%)
Did your Idle STAY THE SAME?
15 (20%)
Did your Idle DECREASE?
3 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Trying to narrow down an air/fuel issue... (SOLVED! - TPS Recalibration)  (Read 73755 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Trying to narrow down an air/fuel issue... (SOLVED! - TPS Recalibration)
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »
Do you know how hard it is to get to the plugs and wires?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »
Do you know how hard it is to get to the plugs and wires?
You have to remove the tupperware to get to the plugs, so I guess, go ahead and paint. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
Yep, I did say that and I even thought of a method to sort of have the throttle end up in the same place. I just have not gotten to it yet- busy as hell with getting ready for winter, family issues (all good, just time consuming) and dealing with a [new to me] vehicle that is throwing problems at me faster than I can throw them back. But as I said, I will try this calibration thing- as my bike runs well now, I really can only look for poorer running but that too would be evidence.

There is another gentleman out there who has O2 sensors on his bike and he (I do not.... yet) and he would the the ideal candidate to test out this idea as he can produce data as a result. If the throttle really does recalibrate, he should note the mixture changes immediately. Further, he should be able to make them both more lean and then more rich at will simply by hedging the throttle position information in the ECU one way and then the other. But I will not call him out on this.... :-)

Brian

Brian said he was going to try it, but I don't remember ever seeing a report.  I tried it and it did drop the idle down a little, but I never had any problems per se, before the recalibration.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »
Then you probably wont notice a difference.  This seems to only help bikes that have a really choppy or hesitant throttle. 

That said, It's mechanical and electronic components working together. In a perfect wprld, these would be completely set from the factory, but there's no exact number.  Some throttles will be at .68V, some may be at .70V at idle. I ASSUME (read; Ass-u-me) that at the factory they program the ECU to read .68V (or whatever the actual number is) as closed/ Idle, and if there's any variance from that, thats where the issues will start. But some bikes naturally are exactly dead on...  I could be COMPLETELY wrong on that tho... and Probably am.

Actually, the TPS numbers are set in the ECU, and the TPS is set mechanically on the side of the throttlebodies. The TPS actually has nothing to do with the idle of the engine. The idle is set by the screw adjuster that sets where the throttle plates stop. The ECU then controls the amount of fuel for the idle speed using the IAP map (Idle Air Pressure). Unlike the TPS fuel maps, the IAP map is controlled by RPM and pressure differential across the throttle plates. So, when you adjust the idle cable/screw, you're adjusting the throttle plates, which changes the air flow across them....thus changing the pressure differential.

This is what is taking place from closed throttle to approximately 10% throttle, so the TPS is not utilized until the throttle is twisted 10% open.

See, the fuel mapping in these ECU's is a little more crude than most people realize. The changes the ECU can make are not infinite. The ECU only adjusts TPS fueling approximately every 7% of throttle rotation. This is why there is an IAP map in the first place to control the idle. If the ECU tried to use the TPS map to control idle, it would be far too crude, and a quarter turn on the adjuster might not do anything....a full turn on the adjuster might not do anything.

So, if that isn't too confusing, it's easy to see why the closed throttle TPS voltage variances are really irrelevant with regards to idle. As I said earlier...several factors are going to effect that voltage...throttle cables, throttle plate linkages/pivots, throttlebody cleanliness, etc. When I checked mine, several times, the closed throttle TPS voltage varied between .66v and .69v, and it made no changes in the idle. As I said above, the ECU doesn't care what that voltage is until the throttle is 10% open or more.

And besides, 0.03v changes in TPS voltages aren't really going to change anything, because the ECU is looking for bigger differences.

Clear as mud?...lol,

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
Well, I guess if everyone is doing it, I might as well too..

LOL!
I have just been watching with interest.  I have no such hesitation or issues on my 2011 C14, so I don't want to press my luck.  But I will be sure to try this voodoo if such issues arise.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »
There is another gentleman out there who has O2 sensors on his bike and he (I do not.... yet) and he would the the ideal candidate to test out this idea as he can produce data as a result. If the throttle really does recalibrate, he should note the mixture changes immediately. Further, he should be able to make them both more lean and then more rich at will simply by hedging the throttle position information in the ECU one way and then the other. But I will not call him out on this.... :-)

Brian

If you hook me up with some clam chowdah, then I'll do some testing for ya...lol.

Another thing to consider that I don't think has been mentioned. If you incorrectly calibrated a TPS....like what was done earlier, so that 25% of throttle was actually set to zero, and 100% was still 100%, you would effectively create a very quick turn throttle...I'm not going to ge my protractor out....lol, but lets say it would go from being a 1/4 turn throttle to being a 1/5 turn throttle, and I didn't see that in the video....

Just something to ponder eh?...

Rem...
Over here thinkin' and stuff :o :o :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
Serious question, what is the other side saying in regards this new, apparently effective, technique?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2014, 02:42:50 AM »
 :popcorn:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2014, 04:46:30 AM »
bump.

After analysing the theory behind it, I gave a try to this procedure. Sure enough, I noticed a few things:

- idle went down by about 150 rpm. I like it at 1150 and it went down to 1000. Same temperature, etc. It just went down.

- hesitation is gone. Period. I have been fighting this phenomenon since day 1 and been nothing but frustrated. When I first got the bike I was amazed at how tame it was, but after a while I wanted a 1352 cc engine (which I paid for), not a 600 cc. So flies out, PCV in. Power and torque were restored, specially under 4000 rpm, but the hesitation (coughing) continued. That off-on throttle counter-explosion that bothered me every single time. Next I added a throttle tamer. Better, but absolutely still there. It just got easier to avoid it by being gentle, but I don't like being gentle when I'm chasing (or, more often than not, being chased by) my friends in their bikes. Now it's solved. I just can't get her to do it. It's great.

- I have to sell this bike. I will kill myself. I'm so happy with how the engine responds, specially when I see small gaps in traffic that I usually gave up on because of the stupid hesitation. Now I just take them, because the bikes shoots forward every time I touch the gas. It's exhilarating.

Me happy.

Martin, did you perform the procedure on your bike after it was warmed up or before?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2014, 05:13:06 AM »
Serious question, what is the other side saying in regards this new, apparently effective, technique?

Which other side?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2014, 05:22:38 AM »
Yeah, what Jim said.... who is, or who are the 'other side'? Did we pick teams or something?

I thought it was just people talking about how a mechanism might or might not work on a C-14. ??

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2014, 05:29:00 AM »
I know just the place- best chodah in the state. They use cream and butter rather than milk and [I don't even want to think about the butter replacement]. Thick, outstanding clam chowdah. The best clam cakes too- no spitting shell when eating them. So you're on.....

Just a thought but here is what I would LOVE to see: show a short plot of the A/F mixture with your bike running at, say, 2,500 RPM as it does normally. The 'calibrate' the throttle but set it so closed is really 10% open. Then again show the A/F mixture at the same speed and load if possible; it should be very significantly off. It would be even better if you could find out what cells you are using in the ECU for these running parameters but I don't know if that is available or not. But I do believe you can capture throttle position, engine speed, and mixture, right? If so, that alone will show a drastically 'wrong' setting if you can recalibrate the throttle.

Brian

If you hook me up with some clam chowdah, then I'll do some testing for ya...lol.

Another thing to consider that I don't think has been mentioned. If you incorrectly calibrated a TPS....like what was done earlier, so that 25% of throttle was actually set to zero, and 100% was still 100%, you would effectively create a very quick turn throttle...I'm not going to ge my protractor out....lol, but lets say it would go from being a 1/4 turn throttle to being a 1/5 turn throttle, and I didn't see that in the video....

Just something to ponder eh?...

Rem...
Over here thinkin' and stuff :o :o :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2014, 05:31:21 AM »
Yeah, what Jim said.... who is, or who are the 'other side'? Did we pick teams or something?

I thought it was just people talking about how a mechanism might or might not work on a C-14. ??

Brian

Brian is correct..  Our brother site in the UK has picked up on this as well.  Bully for them!  (standard disclaimer:  I'm not advocating this witchcraft in TPS recalibration, however it does appear to be benign and the only possible injury that may occur is a wrist sprain.  Of course I do advocate doing this in the privacy of your garage with no one watching.)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2014, 07:56:58 AM »

Brian is correct..  Our brother site in the UK has picked up on this as well.  Bully for them!

Probably cause I posted it up on the Face-Space. I know there were a couple UK guys that chimed in on that thread going bonkers cause it worked.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2014, 08:00:37 AM »
Actually, the TPS numbers are set in the ECU, and the TPS is set mechanically on the side of the throttlebodies. The TPS actually has nothing to do with the idle of the engine. The idle is set by the screw adjuster that sets where the throttle plates stop. The ECU then controls the amount of fuel for the idle speed using the IAP map (Idle Air Pressure). Unlike the TPS fuel maps, the IAP map is controlled by RPM and pressure differential across the throttle plates. So, when you adjust the idle cable/screw, you're adjusting the throttle plates, which changes the air flow across them....thus changing the pressure differential.

This is what is taking place from closed throttle to approximately 10% throttle, so the TPS is not utilized until the throttle is twisted 10% open.

See, the fuel mapping in these ECU's is a little more crude than most people realize. The changes the ECU can make are not infinite. The ECU only adjusts TPS fueling approximately every 7% of throttle rotation. This is why there is an IAP map in the first place to control the idle. If the ECU tried to use the TPS map to control idle, it would be far too crude, and a quarter turn on the adjuster might not do anything....a full turn on the adjuster might not do anything.

So, if that isn't too confusing, it's easy to see why the closed throttle TPS voltage variances are really irrelevant with regards to idle. As I said earlier...several factors are going to effect that voltage...throttle cables, throttle plate linkages/pivots, throttlebody cleanliness, etc. When I checked mine, several times, the closed throttle TPS voltage varied between .66v and .69v, and it made no changes in the idle. As I said above, the ECU doesn't care what that voltage is until the throttle is 10% open or more.

And besides, 0.03v changes in TPS voltages aren't really going to change anything, because the ECU is looking for bigger differences.

Clear as mud?...lol,

Rem

Ok, well now I'm really confused as to why this works... I know your above post has been stated before earlier in this thread, but that one made sense to me. (maybe cause I just had my coffee...)   Looks like I need to update the chart... Again...

Unless... Unless...   Maybe by doing this calibration, the ECU knows better where the throttle is, so it can change maps smoother? 

EDIT:  I love this thread and all the information being tossed around... I'm learning a ton and it's making me really think.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2014, 08:17:27 AM »
Bingo! That is my interest in its entirety- I want to know what is going on so I understand how it works (the ECU and the possibility of calibration). I do not care about the running characteristics and how they change, at least not  yet, but I have to understand how this calibration function, well, functions. That is why I gave the reasons I did for thinking it does not actually work- not because I really care if it does work or not, and not to argue with anyone but according to my experience (and I have written a lot of commercial machine code and a lot of 'calibration' procedures), common sense and understanding of how things are done according to convention, this would be something between a bad idea and a disaster for any manufacturer to have machinery in the field that owners could make such fundamental adjustments to without sufficient barriers.

And that is why I specifically recommended [the guy I will not mention again] do some specific tests because they will yield data in the form of air / fuel ratios and especially, any changes in them. Things like 'it runs a bit better' are not really what I look for in 'definitive'.

Remember, 'Kill the virgin, grow the corn' worked for millennia because everyone could clearly see that it worked. And over and over again too boot.

Brian

<snip>

EDIT:  I love this thread and all the information being tossed around... I'm learning a ton and it's making me really think.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
Which other side?
I shoulda said "Sides", as in COG or other forums.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
I shoulda said "Sides", as in COG or other forums.

I posted it in the other forum, guys have been having good luck with it.  All credit is being given, and it appears that all of the actual research is being done here (which is good cause the notes all flow rather than being split in 2 places).  Once we have a definitive "Why" I will post that in the thread on the COG forum too. (once again, giving credit where credit is due).
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Son of Pappy

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
No credit required, I have all I need in knowing what I know.  I got so much help from this forum (old time one, and current) I like knowing I gave something new and unique back and it was just on a hunch.

Like Brian and others, I am curious as to how this isn't part of any manual.  Maybe I should rush out and get a patent?  ;)  JK of course.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2014, 11:04:08 AM »
Not to worry Chet, all the credit for all of.... this..... is yours!   ;D  Figure out the secret code to 1) activate power reverse and even better 2) activate the supercharger and you could be the next president of the US of A!  Which no sane person would want to be but that is another matter.  ;)

But I just have that inherent need to know how and why something works, not just that it does. And if this sequence does in fact do anything (and I am not saying it does not, just need to see some data) then I will have to know if this is a built- in feature or some type of flaw in the ECU that just happens to live on in the software. Just as an example, perhaps this is a calibration feature that was supposed to be used by the mfg. and whatever ends the function is either not working or not present.

I think I have a favor or two left with Kawasaki and if this ends up being an open loop, I will try and pursue this one with them. I still cannot imagine for the life of me why they would purposely put in anything like this and not document it as it is absolutely going to cause problems that dealers cannot readily fix due to its being undocumentated.

Brian

No credit required, I have all I need in knowing what I know.  I got so much help from this forum (old time one, and current) I like knowing I gave something new and unique back and it was just on a hunch.

Like Brian and others, I am curious as to how this isn't part of any manual.  Maybe I should rush out and get a patent?  ;)  JK of course.