Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 854566 times)

Offline zrx mitch

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2840 on: September 23, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »
AK20 forks and a Penske shock  8)   1900 miles in the last 3 days   :finger_fing11:
IBA #18591

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2841 on: September 23, 2017, 06:14:27 PM »
Interested to see the install pics. I have not found much info on it yet. Most of the review seem to indicate it is useful for when you are in a accident. I would be more interested in it for riding videos. A go pro may be better for my purpose. Curious to see how you like it.
Wayne

Today, I finally finished the install of a Innovv C5 Motorcycle dashcam system. Very nice, small camera with a long cord and power cable that goes to a small, simple DVR that you can hide away. They make another, more expensive K1 system as well but I wanted the C5. Pictures to follow on this post once I get motived to take 'em.
Mike
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #2842 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
Interested to see the install pics. I have not found much info on it yet. Most of the review seem to indicate it is useful for when you are in a accident. I would be more interested in it for riding videos. A go pro may be better for my purpose. Curious to see how you like it.
Wayne

I will suggest immediately buy a GoPro or a Drift Ghost 4k type action camera for a helmet mount. This camera is more of a dashcam type device for accidents and supplemental footage. Since the camera is attached to the bike, it shakes with road bumps and such and will drive viewers crazy after just a few moments of watching (helmet mount gives a better, more stable perspective of what YOU'RE looking at vs. a fixed bike mount). ALSO if you get a GoPro or action cam, it's very easy to run a small wire along the helmet for your mic. Synching audio from a dash cam using an independent audio recording device will get annoying REAL fast. Just my $.02 from motovlogging for the past few years.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2843 on: September 23, 2017, 09:11:47 PM »
I will suggest immediately buy a GoPro or a Drift Ghost 4k type action camera for a helmet mount. This camera is more of a dashcam type device for accidents and supplemental footage. Since the camera is attached to the bike, it shakes with road bumps and such and will drive viewers crazy after just a few moments of watching (helmet mount gives a better, more stable perspective of what YOU'RE looking at vs. a fixed bike mount). ALSO if you get a GoPro or action cam, it's very easy to run a small wire along the helmet for your mic. Synching audio from a dash cam using an independent audio recording device will get annoying REAL fast. Just my $.02 from motovlogging for the past few years.
Mike

Conversely, a helmet mount means you have to worry about batteries and charging, have extra weight on your helmet, might take space you need for a communicator, might create more helmet noise, and might be more easily damaged.  Still, helmet mount is probably a better way, though- simpler install, less theftable, better image, more field of view (can pan to points of interest), can move between bikes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #2844 on: September 24, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
Conversely, a helmet mount means you have to worry about batteries and charging, have extra weight on your helmet, might take space you need for a communicator, might create more helmet noise, and might be more easily damaged.  Still, helmet mount is probably a better way, though- simpler install, less theftable, better image, more field of view (can pan to points of interest), can move between bikes.

Great points but my argument is that it's not really about easy of use for the user, it's about the quality of image for the viewer. An uncushioned hard mount bike cam is murder to the eyes. My comms system and helmet cam can be charged while I'm riding but I just gotta remember to unplug before I walk away from the bike haha so far the wind noise or buffeting has been completely unnoticeable. I swear there is no difference somehow. (I use the Drift Innovation Ghost 4k because it's not a parachute like the GoPro)
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2845 on: September 24, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »
Thanks guys, most helpful. I am mainly interested in a setup that take will take a  photo every so often. Not going to invest a ton of money because it is not a priority to me. I like the pics but am usually to impatient to pull over.
Wayne

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #2846 on: September 27, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »
Whelp, today, I begrudgingly moved the Denali Soundbomb from my first install location to the recommended bracket location underneath the right plastic cover. The place where the original horn was installed was too cramped and not strong enough for the weight of the Soundbomb. I am pleased to say that there isn't much sound loss from the move and the bracket mount is MUCH more sturdy so I am happy about that.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2847 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »
Hey, what to happened to the OP? Her status is shown as "Guest" now. Hmmmm ... she change out of the C14  ???

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2848 on: September 28, 2017, 05:08:42 AM »
Hey, what to happened to the OP? Her status is shown as "Guest" now. Hmmmm ... she change out of the C14  ???

I don't think she likes us any longer...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2849 on: September 28, 2017, 05:50:16 AM »
She got cranky and 'left'. I read the thread where that seemed to happen and did not find any clue as to why that occurred. ??

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #2850 on: September 29, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
Made my own Throttle Tamer with a Dremel and a jigsaw blade.  Took about 10 minutes to all but eliminate the jerkiness of rolling on the throttle.   ;D ;D 8)
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2851 on: September 30, 2017, 04:39:55 AM »
I christen thee McGyver.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2852 on: September 30, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »
I'm experimenting with a dual Ram ball setup for my GPS. I had a high mount GPS set up using only one Ram ball, but over the years the cantilevered bouncing has taken it's toll. The Ram balls were becoming quite egg shaped from me constantly squeezing them just a little bit tighter. (an "EZboys" should go here, but I'm curious as to what you guys can come up with, so no.)

Here is the old set up:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and here is what I'm experimenting with at the moment:

I think it is going to work out OK, and it lets me center the XM antenna so it doesn't keep rubbing on the windshield. I wish I had done it this way in the first place. I guess I was just going cheap at the time.
 Silly wabbit! Going cheap on farkles is for KLR owners.  :doh: :banghead:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2853 on: September 30, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2854 on: September 30, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
I'm experimenting with a dual Ram ball setup for my GPS.

Doesn't that block your view of the road??  I have had my Zumo mounted between the handlebars on a single RAM ball for 6.5 years now with no mount problem at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2855 on: September 30, 2017, 10:53:59 PM »
Doesn't that block your view of the road??

Nope.

I have had my Zumo mounted between the handlebars on a single RAM ball for 6.5 years now with no mount problem at all.

I still have the Ram ball down there between the bars that I started with, but I found out quickly that I just don't have the mental discipline to keep my glances at the screen short,
especially if I'm checking weather or changing the radio station or searching for fuel etc. My head was all too frequently down and locked. After a couple of scares, I just admitted and
accepted my failing as probably permanent (at least until the point of impact) and raised the GPS up where my peripheral vision seems to keep me out of trouble.
 The GPS is just below the top of the windshield so it doesn't block the view of the road, and I use it to monitor speed as well. I almost never down look at the speedometer.

:o
[Terminator]

I hear ya Pinky  ;D , but most of that Terminator look is from the Touratech locking GPS holder.
 Most of their stuff does have the Terminator look to it, or maybe Borg.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #2856 on: October 01, 2017, 07:06:08 AM »
I'm experimenting with a dual Ram ball setup for my GPS. I had a high mount GPS set up using only one Ram ball, but over the years the cantilevered bouncing has taken it's toll. The Ram balls were becoming quite egg shaped from me constantly squeezing them just a little bit tighter. (an "EZboys" should go here, but I'm curious as to what you guys can come up with, so no.)

I think it is going to work out OK, and it lets me center the XM antenna so it doesn't keep rubbing on the windshield. I wish I had done it this way in the first place. I guess I was just going cheap at the time.

If it was me, I'd think of rigging a GoPro live feed to that LCD screen so that I could ride under the hood all the time. Also, moonlighting as a NFL replay official. Ahhh......so many lucrative ideas. Edison would be proud. :nuts:
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2857 on: October 01, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
It is tough to make out everything in those photos (because I am not there, the photos are excellent) but it looks like you are using the same mounting frame, from side- to- side over the instrument cluster but also anchored in front, to hold the Garmin in both setups. Is that right?

Again, tough to tell but it does look like a lot of weight hanging off the front of that mounting rail. ??

I hear you about being in- line with your vision though; I normally run with two GPS's, one mounted on each handlebar, and both are too low and to far aside of my line- of- sight to be anywhere near safe to use when riding. Even looking at them is a problem, more of a focus issue in my own case (I have a nasty case of the 'long arm' disease where I cannot focus on anything closer than the neighbor's yard it seems).

If that thing is light enough and rugged enough, it should survive though. Is the underlying mounting bracket still sound? Any cracking in the fairing or edge mounts of that bracket? I have never seen one of those before and it is hard to tell how much it projects to the rear.

That looks like a 660 or 665 Zumo and by the looks, you are finding it washing out in sunlight (because of the cover over it and on the sides). I have a 665 and a 550, and the 550 is the only one I can see in direct sunlight, and often the only one I can see in bright daylight at all; to this day the 550 remains my main GPS even though it is obsolete and is carrying old maps now.

And yeah, there should be a LOT of Easy Boys! if your post, especially around the 'egg shaped balls' and the drooping parts.  :)

Brian

Here is the old set up:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and here is what I'm experimenting with at the moment:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2858 on: October 01, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »
..... it looks like you are using the same mounting frame, from side- to- side over the instrument cluster but also anchored in front, to hold the Garmin in both setups. Is that right?

Again, tough to tell but it does look like a lot of weight hanging off the front of that mounting rail. ?? 

If that thing is light enough and rugged enough, it should survive though. Is the underlying mounting bracket still sound? Any cracking in the fairing or edge mounts of that bracket? I have never seen one of those before and it is hard to tell how much it projects to the rear.

That looks like a 660 or 665 Zumo and by the looks, you are finding it washing out in sunlight (because of the cover over it and on the sides). I have a 665 and a 550, and the 550 is the only one I can see in direct sunlight, and often the only one I can see in bright daylight at all; to this day the 550 remains my main GPS even though it is obsolete and is carrying old maps now.

Yes, the same plate and supports, and yes a Garmin 665 which was expensive when I first bought it, so I just had to increase the weight involved by adding a Touratech locking mount. ::)
The steel plate is from the folks in Idaho that used to convert the C14s into police bikes. It's just thin powder coated steel which is attached to the front plastic with 4 well nuts. That mounting was fine for the small items they put up there. I added the front braces to limit the flexing, and added an epoxy filled steel tube covered with rubber to the front edge which appeared to be like a guillotine awaiting a frontal collision before it cut something important off of my flying body. It seems to be holding up well, and it also shades the LCD screen so no worries about parking in the sun and melting the gauges from the lens effect of the windshield or what ever it was that some experienced in years gone by.. The down supports in front are of course attached to the well nuts that like to break the plastic on the fairing under the top covers (mine are cracked). I don't tighten those very much and I think most of the load is transferred to the plastic top cover down to the lower well nut that I had earlier reinforced with steel from the mirror mount bolts. Does it flex?, yes it does, but so far it seems to have less flex with the balls moved outwardly than I had with only one ball in the middle. What I noticed with the one ball mount is that when going down the highway with my somewhat heavy Nolan modular helmet, my resulting bobble head seems to flex in unison with the GPS when there is a bump large enough to make it flex so it worked out. So much so that I didn't hesitate to mount the remote view of my radar detector along side.  The Glare Stomper shield does help the screen stay visible in sunlight but also keeps rain off of it, which (for me) can be more troublesome than sunlight. The biggest problem I have viewing the GPS is when the sun is in front of me and the reflection off of my hi-vis vest covers the screen, I generally have to move my left hand to a spot between my vest and the screen to see it.

It is tough to make out everything in those photos (because I am not there, the photos are excellent just OK) [FIFY - fm}

Yeah, the photos are kind of too background cluttered to make stuff out. Sorry about that, the place used to be clean, I don't know what happend. ::) :P  :-[
Here try these: (pardon the dried bug guts)

Anyway, the experiment continues....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2859 on: October 01, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »

And yeah, there should be a LOT of Easy Boys! if your post, especially around the 'egg shaped balls' and the drooping parts.  :)

Agreed, sorta disappointed in the lack of sophomoric creativity around here lately. gPink and sanmo took stabs at it, but not at the right "parts".