Author Topic: 2015 connie [pre-release speculation]  (Read 105037 times)

Offline tomp

Re: 2015 connie
« Reply #320 on: November 20, 2014, 07:14:36 AM »
Or....                                          UNLINK
                                                  [ MY
                                                  ABS

Just buy an 08-09.  Problem solved.  ;D ;D  Seems progress sometimes isn't, after all...

I do understand, as my RT has linked brakes, and I wish it didn't...tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #321 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:51 AM »
 It's pretty easy to sit in the relative comfort of our homes or offices and play motorcycle designer while being unencumbered by any of the constraints motor vehicle manufacturers have to deal with.

The governments of  virtually every civilized nation have laws, rules, and regulations regarding vehicles sold there, many of which are exclusive to their country alone. Here in the US, the EPA alone has an enormous impact on the design of motor vehicles. How many of us are aware of the stringent noise standards that must be complied to? The noise standards alone are becoming more strict every year, let alone the emissions standards, safety standards, and God only knows whatever other bureaucratic nonsense manufacturers have to deal with.

What seem to us as changes that are minute, when combined with corporate and government involvement, are usually a BIG deal. Couple that with the whims of consumers and you have a monumental task trying to balance it all.

After riding Harleys for decades, I, for one, am astounded at the magnificent machine called the Concours that KHI is producing. A 100 hp/lt, exceptionally dependable, stylish motorcycle that is more capable than 99.999% of it's riders. No small feat. Think about it.

With the exception of cruise control (a creature comfort, not a necessity ), and a few other "inconveniences", where else can I find this much bang for the buck? How much power is enough? If the Gen III comes out with 25 more hp, in short order there will be cries for more. I will probably never know how fast my bike will go. The vast majority of C14 owners won't either. Buffeting, high beam indicators that are too bright, etc, etc, all sound like Cadillac problems that can, for the most part, be overcome or dealt with.

I think if God himself designed a motorcycle some would have complaints about it.

Just my .02 .........
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #322 on: November 20, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »
Buffeting, high beam indicators that are too bright, etc, etc, all sound like Cadillac problems that can, for the most part, be overcome or dealt with.

:)

One of my employees calls these "First world problems"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=First+World+Problems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World_problem
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #323 on: November 20, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »

<snip I think if God himself designed a motorcycle some would have complaints about it. snip>

Just my .02 .........

If I hear harp music out of the exhaust, darn right I'm complaining.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #324 on: November 20, 2014, 09:07:45 AM »
My God plays a Fender Stratocaster......
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #325 on: November 20, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »

I agree with Deziner's comments. In fact I have often thought that if I had a motorcycle dealership, I would refuse to sell to any potential buyers that actively participate in internet forums. Some of the exchanges seem to be like a cancer and just feed on themselves with the idle complaining just fuel for the fire. C14 is a fantastic bike and much better than I ever thought I'd have the opportunity to ride. When I gave up on the first generation Yamaha Venture Royal's(over time owned four of them) because of parts availability and lack of modern tire fitment, I thought there would never be a bike to replace them. Boy, was I wrong. The C14 makes them look like outdated machinery. Love my Concours.

Fork

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #326 on: November 20, 2014, 12:51:36 PM »
Deziner...I too owned road donkeys for years, but at least the ones I had came with cruise and on the one that didn't I was able to purchase a plug/play setup from Harley.

BTW....165 with the bags in stock form, it might go a tad faster but my b@ll$ started to shrink as I had pictures in my head of my bags flying off along with me...I mean this is what I have heard.

Offline tomp

« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2014, 01:00:55 PM »

BTW....165 with the bags in stock form, it might go a tad faster but my b@ll$ started to shrink as I had pictures in my head of my bags flying off along with me...I mean this is what I have heard.

135 with bags and tall with tall V stream windshield.  No problems and plenty left in her, but common sense prevailed and I slowed.  Was messing with a Beemer riding friend, making sure he knew the 14 was king of our ride...

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #328 on: November 20, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »
Deziner...I too owned road donkeys for years, but at least the ones I had came with cruise and on the one that didn't I was able to purchase a plug/play setup from Harley.

I refused to pay what the MOCO wanted for cruise, $250 for a switch and a few wires seemed a bit steep. I might feel differently if it had all of the positive attributes that the C14 has.

Offline tomp

« Reply #329 on: November 20, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
I refused to pay what the MOCO wanted for cruise, $250 for a switch and a few wires seemed a bit steep. I might feel differently if it had all of the positive attributes that the C14 has.

I wish only $250.  Here's one from mc cruise.  Slightly higher priced than $250.  I've seen the install directions.  Gonna take a while to install, too.  ( There are dealers in the US, but no one's selling cheap.)

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/kawasaki/products/27

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »
Or....                                          UNLINK
                                                  [ MY
                                                  ABS

Mmm.  ABS is not linked.  The brakes are linked.  The ABS doesn't activate until wheel lock up is detected. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
Mmm.  ABS is not linked.  The brakes are linked.  The ABS doesn't activate until wheel lock up is detected.

Redirecting ABS & Linked brakes stuff to another topic:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18474.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #332 on: November 23, 2014, 08:29:18 AM »
I hope a bunch of you don't show up at my house, and beat me....but....Yamaha linked the brakes on its new 2015 r1, too.

Is it possible, the know how to do this correctly, now?...sorry.....just wondering.

Offline FIX UR CRITTER

Re: 2015 connie [pre-release speculation]
« Reply #333 on: March 07, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »
Hello All,

I hope someone will educate me on why so many people are dying for cruise control on this bike. For years i have used a $20 NEp throttle lock that looks good and works flawlessly. I used a cruise control on a gold wing and it seemed less practical than a throttle lock... so the question is; why add $$ and complexity to your bike?  This is in line with all the people that begged for heated grips, now gripe about not being able to change their grips... this was a cheap aftermarket add on for those that wanted it.. but now everyone is stuck with it- that is how i see cruise control as well.. please enlighten me..

thanks

ease suffering, spay all your pets all the time
Prevent a litter, Fix ur Critter
PLEASE neuter all your pets.. there are millions of starving strays that wish you did.
'08 C-14, '08 Bandit 1250
'08 SV650, '07 YZ250F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #334 on: March 07, 2015, 04:09:12 AM »
They work flawlessly in totally flat conditions...  I've used locks and they don't hold the speed and you have to consciously unlock them.  They're ok for what they do but....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #335 on: March 07, 2015, 06:03:12 AM »
I hope someone will educate me on why so many people are dying for cruise control on this bike.

It is a sports touring bike... a lot of people take some very long trips which will involve "super slab" (boring highway miles).  Trying to keep your speed what you want for a long time can be a pain (both figuratively and literally).  While a throttle lock can be helpful for a short time of relief, they require frequent throttle adjustments.   On the next iteration of the Concours, it would be neither expensive nor complex to have factory cruise control because it will likely already be throttle-by-wire.

ease suffering, spay all your pets all the time

(I totally agree with your sentiment, but I think it is better to neuter [most] pets.  Spaying is only a female procedure, as castrating is only male; neutering is both.)

elp_jc

« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »
I hope someone will educate me on why so many people are dying for cruise control on this bike.
I'm not one of them. I only use cruise control/throttle-lock to alleviate tingling (hopefully not an issue on this bike ;D), reaccomodate the right liner inside my helmet (bothers my ear), tighten the helmet strap, or something quick like that (no more than a minute every once in a while). I've never used cruise control on a bike like you do sometimes in a car. I hardly ever use it in cars too, but definitely more than bikes. So for me, the Throttlemeister is all I need. If I wasn't that anal that my bikes have to look completely OEM, I'd install one of those instantaneous throttle-locks (Vista Cruise, etc), but they're not for me. I also hope not to need a Throttle-rocker on this bike. Will carry it in my first trip just in case, but by my estimation, I'll probably won't need it (throttle spring pressure is not bad, and modulation is not that finicky). But I agree once with TBW, it'd be very cost-effective to add it, and it'd be better than any throttle lock, even for seldom use like in my case. But yes, it'd be one more thing that can go wrong. Have a good one.

Offline FIX UR CRITTER

« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »
(I totally agree with your sentiment, but I think it is better to neuter [most] pets.  Spaying is only a female procedure, as castrating is only male; neutering is both.)

Thanks Maxtog... I've been involved with animal population control for years.. this is the first i heard that neutering is for both,, it makes sense now that i think about it,, i was trying to be as succinct as possible.. either way it is good for their health and to prevent homeless suffering animals, pass it on and educate the masses..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:27:38 PM by maxtog »
Prevent a litter, Fix ur Critter
PLEASE neuter all your pets.. there are millions of starving strays that wish you did.
'08 C-14, '08 Bandit 1250
'08 SV650, '07 YZ250F

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #338 on: March 07, 2015, 08:56:04 PM »
I'm not one of them. I only use cruise control/throttle-lock to alleviate tingling (hopefully not an issue on this bike ;D), reaccomodate the right liner inside my helmet (bothers my ear), tighten the helmet strap, or something quick like that (no more than a minute every once in a while). I've never used cruise control on a bike like you do sometimes in a car. I hardly ever use it in cars too, but definitely more than bikes. So for me, the Throttlemeister is all I need. If I wasn't that anal that my bikes have to look completely OEM, I'd install one of those instantaneous throttle-locks (Vista Cruise, etc), but they're not for me. I also hope not to need a Throttle-rocker on this bike. Will carry it in my first trip just in case, but by my estimation, I'll probably won't need it (throttle spring pressure is not bad, and modulation is not that finicky). But I agree once with TBW, it'd be very cost-effective to add it, and it'd be better than any throttle lock, even for seldom use like in my case. But yes, it'd be one more thing that can go wrong. Have a good one.

I also don't feel the need for cruise-control on the bike, though I would probably use it on long distance slabbin' across Oklahoma or Texas if I had it. My combination of "antler aids" consists of 2 inch risers, Grip Puppies, Throttlemeister, and 2 Throttle Rockers- one  for each side. Good for 14 hr. days in the saddle by Laam. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #339 on: March 09, 2015, 07:49:59 AM »

I also don't feel the need for cruise-control on the bike, though I would probably use it on long distance slabbin' across Oklahoma or Texas if I had it. My combination of "antler aids" consists of 2 inch risers, Grip Puppies, Throttlemeister, and 2 Throttle Rockers- one  for each side. Good for 14 hr. days in the saddle by Laam.

Exactly! That's when I use my Rostra the most.