Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 9364 times)

Offline Coomers

Spark Plugs
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:24:58 AM »
Is there a replacement spark plug other than the dealers for $19 plug?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 06:52:17 AM »
A quick search shows under $8 delivered.
http://tinyurl.com/kwbvyob
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:03:45 AM »
A quick search shows under $8 delivered.

Of course, the best cost is to not replace them unless they are bad (which is probably very, very rare)  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:09:03 AM »
Is there a replacement spark plug other than the dealers for $19 plug?

Well, you should be able to get the from a shop for $10-$12 bucks...but if they look up the plugs as a Kawasaki part, then they will be very expensive. I seem to recall paying about $12 each for them last time.

I usually change them whenever I do a valve adjust.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
Iridium plugs are expensive but they last a long time. I know the manual says to replace every 7500 but that is ridiculous.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:29:29 PM »
Iridium plugs are expensive but they last a long time. I know the manual says to replace every 7500 but that is ridiculous.

Way beyond ridiculous.  They should probably last at least 10 times as long.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline clogan

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
Way beyond ridiculous.  They should probably last at least 10 times as long.

Many automobiles nowadays have spark plug change intervals of 100,000 miles. I am old enough to remember when the cars themselves didn't last that long!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:01:47 AM »
Many automobiles nowadays have spark plug change intervals of 100,000 miles. I am old enough to remember when the cars themselves didn't last that long!
That is correct. My Toyota manuals say  100,000 miles and only because the EPA mandates it- not because they are worn out.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Coomers

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:54:48 AM »
Well seeing as I'm heading to the blue ridge Parkway next week and know one can get them to me quickly I'm going to put the Tupperware back on and hold off. (I hate doing any maintenance just before a trip), besides I only have 28K on the bike.

Thanks,

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
Well seeing as I'm heading to the blue ridge Parkway next week and know one can get them to me quickly I'm going to put the Tupperware back on and hold off. (I hate doing any maintenance just before a trip), besides I only have 28K on the bike.

Well, when you have everything apart, it is always a good idea to CHECK AND ADJUST the plugs (remove them, check condition, clean, check gap and adjust gap if necessary, reinstall with anti-seize).  Just outright replacing them, though, (especially with only 28K miles) seems very strange to me.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 04:31:47 PM »
You can't adjust these plugs and you can't clean them unless you just want to polish the porcelain.  There's nothing that needs doing.  Leave them alone. They'll be fine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »
I just bought a set of Spark Plugs (NGK CR9EIA-9) from RockAuto.com and got them at a good price ($32) that included shipping and tax.  In the interest of full disclosure, my daughter does work for them but that is their regular price.  I happened to notice they have a Motorcycle tab and while they don't have a bunch of bike parts for the C-14 i needed plugs and thought that was a good price.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »
I just bought a set of Spark Plugs (NGK CR9EIA-9) from RockAuto.com and got them at a good price ($32) that included shipping and tax.  In the interest of full disclosure, my daughter does work for them but that is their regular price.  I happened to notice they have a Motorcycle tab and while they don't have a bunch of bike parts for the C-14 i needed plugs and thought that was a good price.

That is a good price and certainly beats the hell out of the first post's $19 each from the dealer!  Very close to the Amazon price here:  http://www.amazon.com/NGK-CR9EIA-9-Iridium-Spark-Plug/dp/B001RLOE4O  at $31.4 for 4.

Offline tomp

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
Changed iridium plugs on my Scion at 90K miles.  The gap was a little wider than the replacements, but I found that MPG, acceleration, etc were not improved with the new plugs.  With only 25K on my C14, I doubt I will ever change the plugs.  7500 mile changes?  Hell, plugs lasted longer than that on some of my old 2 strokes, and they all ate plugs for breakfast.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »
Hahaha...pistons didn't last that long on some of the smokers.

We carried spare plugs, and knew to pull the plug cap off and set it barely onto the plug to clear fouled plugs.  Which actually worked sometimes. 

33,000 on the new Iridiums since I replaced them last year.  Still quite crisp. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline tomp

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 09:27:14 PM »
Hahaha...pistons didn't last that long on some of the smokers.

Remember running an AT1 Yamaha 125, WFO down the road one evening and it came to a slow but sure stop.  Got it home, pulled the head, and there, in the center of the piston, was a 3/4" hole.  The plug was a might bit too hot.  15 minute R/R, and a cooler plug.  No more problems.  It became an MX'er for a while, and always did well.  tp
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:22:20 PM by tomp »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
You can't adjust these plugs and you can't clean them unless you just want to polish the porcelain.  There's nothing that needs doing.  Leave them alone. They'll be fine.

really?
I checked mine for gap, and adjusted them just like any other plug... ::)

but now I can't find what I adjusted them too.... ??? ??? ???
I know I made sure they were all the same....  Dammit Jim....
https://youtu.be/MULMbqQ9LJ8
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:32:50 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »
Got mine on Amazon $31.40 with free shipping(Prime) for a set of 4.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RLOE4O/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline tomp

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18:52 PM »
really?
I checked mine for gap, and adjusted them just like any other plug... ::)

but now I can't find what I adjusted them too.... ??? ??? ???
I know I made sure they were all the same....  Dammit Jim....
https://youtu.be/MULMbqQ9LJ8

Strange, but the service manual, section 2-65, tells how to remove and reinstall new plugs and even the torque setting, but nothing about gap.  Aren't many iridiums set around .040's?  The ones in my Scion were at that gap.  tp

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 04:12:10 AM »
Iridium plugs are not meant to have the gap adjusted from what I recall for normal operations.  However, you can 'form' the ground electrode should you wish to do so, but most of us are running these plugs way past what Kwakers recommends.  If you are in the habit of going into the engine on a regular basis (for the masochists in the group), then by all means.  I didn't do mine until about 50k miles or so.  I couldn't tell the difference in the performance of the bike.  The gap had changed, but I don't remember by how much, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.