Author Topic: Carb Cleaning  (Read 10094 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Carb Cleaning
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »
Do i really need a carb stand to set float level?.

What is the best tool to cut off my air boots, they are like steel & I dont have a heat-gun nor a place to plug it in.

You no i have been riding this bike more then 5 years - year round and i think i owe it to myself to at least try and rebuild the carbs myself, Yes i really would like to send them to Steve and i think his price is well worth the top notch work he does, however the carbs need work real soon and i dont have time to save the money, I might have to send them anyway at a later time but with all the help i have gotten from this forum over the years i think i have a good chance at fixing the carbs and i do have the service book plus a pdf version.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

enim57

Re: Carb Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
Do i really need a carb stand to set float level?.
No you don't. See my reply on your previous topic http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16486.15 reply 16.

Regards, Russell

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
This is what i have now.

1. Carb rebuild kit from Murph

2. Air boots + springs

3. Throttle cables

4.  Pilot Jets from Murph

5. Fuel Rail O-ring Kit from Murph

6. Steve's Jet Kit is on the way
==============

Anything else?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:59:43 PM by Jet86 »

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
Great, i was watching this clip on setting float level, i know its not the same carb but in general i assume thats one way to do it.

How to adjust the Float Height on a Carburetor Metric Harley and Asian

enim57

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »
Yep, video is good.
You have to do this 4 times. I would not recommend dismantling them into 4 individual carbs unless there are fuel leaks between the carbs, keep them together as an assembly of 4.
You do not need a special gauge like in the video, a cheap depth guage (or vernier with depth gauge) will do just as well.
Be sure to replace the float bowls O ring gasket with new ones, I didn't and they later leaked. You don't want to have to remove the carbs from the bike again.

I don't think you need anything else besides what you already have. Fuel rail O rings only if fully dismantled into 4 separate carbs, pilot jets shouldn't need to be replaced, pilot air screw seals are in Murphs kits. I can't speak for Steve's 2 minute kit as we don't have the 2K stumble her in Australia.

Regards, Russell

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
Ounce i have the carbs off i can a better look at all the small parts but since the fuel rail parts is only $12.50  i'm going to get them just in case.

the pilot jets are hard to get clean from what i hear, what happens when they are plugged up? does the bike idle rough or hard to start?

if sitting for more than 24 hours my bike has always needed the enricher on to start but only for about 30-45 seconds, it seems to idle good but sometimes i hear one of the carbs coughing, not sure witch carb but i think the pilot jet may be to blame.

since this is my first time ever working on these carbs i think replacing the pilot jets would be easyer on me rather then try to clean them, what do you think? how hard are they to clean, i dont have a lot of tools or sonic bath.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
I disagree with the video within the first 3 minutes. I don't care that his shirt says "instructor", setting fuel level simply by setting float height is an accident waiting to happen. I have seen lots of non - normal issues that are not addressed by setting float height alone. Some of them are twisted floats (common), perforated floats, seats that seep, etc. You would be shocked at how often checking fuel level has saved me from having comebacks, even after the floats were properly set. JMO, steve

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »
I'm going to remove the air box to and clean it and look for cracks so can i just stick the carbs back on the bike to do the clear tube check? without the air box in the way i guess it will be easyer.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 05:49:26 AM »
You can use a hack-saw blade held by hand and cut them off.  You could also use a BIG screw driver and pry them off.  You may find it easier to pry the carbs out them get the boots off.  The plastic boots are usually somewhat pliable still inside the airbox.  So far on the carbs on this bike, I've only ever needed new bowl gaskets and float needles (the spring weakens a ridge can develop on the rubber seat).  Oh yeah, and those little washers and o-rings on the mixture screw that comes in from the bottom.  The PO lost half of them on the red bike.

Here's my mad scientist set-up...

P.S. -  I think trying to do a "set" of the level and not a "check" is going to be a big hassle performing on the bike.  You will probably need to take each bowl off a few times to get it exact, which means pulling the carbs over and over.  Only do one at a time then consider it complete.  I think you are also asking for a potential hydrolock issue, not realizing you might be sending fuel down the intake while checking them.  Before you install the carbs for the final time, install the cables and fuel line to the carbs.  Way easier than trying to hook them up after they are in place.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
BTW, on the fuel rail orings - you need to do those, but it's not easily done. they are what, 28 years old, and could well be where the leak is coming from. When they leak / seep, the fuel runs off the bowls so it seems like a bowl leak, but it's not. I'm at a point that when guys send me carbs from about 97 to 98 back, I suggest oring replacement as a matter of course. Early on, I didn't have this opinion, but when you rebuild old carbs and then they start leaking a couple months later, folks don't have much of a sense of humor about that  >:( . The real problem with doing that job is you're going to need an impact driver to loosen the rail screws. If you can't impact them to get the loose, you'll strip the heads.
   Also, on prying the carbs out, be careful there - I've seen a couple sets that were pried on, and the carb bodies were busted at the inlet where the tool was levered.

Let me add on more point - some folks might read what I'm posting and think "yeah, he's just trying to get work". others might read it and see I'm putting valuable info in my posts. Let me respond this way - If I can do carbs, anyone can - but I probably did 50 sets or more before I hung out my shingle, and since then I've seen some stuff I couldn't have even imagined, and it was all created by guys trying to "save money". At this point I've done over 400 sets, and my takeaway is that not all of us see things or understand things the same, so when one guy says "it's easy" well, it may have been for him, but for the next guy, not so much.  Steve

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
RFH87 thats good info for me to think about how i am going about things, i dont want fuel to get in the cylinders so setting levels while on the bike is not gonna happen, I need to find another way.

Steve i believe you and the thought did run across my mind that you just want to make money but that was a long time ago and i don't think that anymore, but saying what you did is a good idea for the new guys like i was when i found this forum.

the impact driver is just a big kind of heavy screw driver that turns as you hammer it' am i correct?

I think i have one of them and if not i can get one at harbor freight.

I need to put in another order to murph but it will have to wait about 10 days til i get more money' in the mean time i can keep planning on how i can pull this off.

My bike is still running ok right now and i do have about 50 bucks for tools or what ever.
i think im gonna have to build a carb holder of some kind, or hang them with wire like RFH8, i seen some where on this forum one made of plastic pvc pipe.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
instead of building a holder for the carbs, either use a bench vise or do as you suggested and pull the airbox and use your bike. I like that idea because with the airbox out you can clean and inspect alot of stuff you can't get to otherwise. Steve

enim57

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »
To check fuel level off the bike get a cheap bench vise and a long length of fuel line, set the carbs in the vise on the floor and run the fuel line from your tank to the carbs.

The video does address twisted floats and that's why you check the height on both sides of the float. If you need to adjust the tang that operates the float needle bend the tang from the front and not the sides.

Starting your bike sounds normal and if it idles and runs well down low then I don't think the pilot jets are blocked. To clean them push a bristle from a coarse paint brush or engine cleaning brush through the jet. I don't advise pushing a wire through as you may damage the jet.

Regards, Russell

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 05:14:03 AM »
I don't advise pushing a wire through as you may damage the jet.

I lot of us have used monofilament fishing line when necessary.  Or guitar strings....
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »
I used a couple short pieces of 2x4 screwd together in a upside down t. I then screwed a vice grip tp the upright and clamped tothe carb rack. Shimmed a little till level and hooked er up to fuel.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »
   I have had my carbs out several times for cleaning because I wasn't sure I had them right. I was close but never right on the money. It's been a few yrs and I think this spring I will send them to Steve's spa and get them set right. I think after having the bike for 20 years it's time.
   This post has convinced it's time for me to get'em done RIGHT!! 
    Hope it get's above freezing so I can pull the cover off my bike.  ;D
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:37:27 AM »
Good info here, if i don't get new pilots i was thinking about using wire to push threw the pilots, glad you guys told me about safer ways' and i have good news.

I have a friend that has a big yard and said i could work on my bike there if i want and even spend the night if i cant get it done in one day, that opens the door to a easier work environment, he dont no anything about bikes but still could be a third hand if need be so he is willing to help however he can. he has offered the work space befor but he had no transportation at all and i was worried that once i have the bike apart i may need a ride to go get tools or odd ball parts but now he has a car so things are looking better but i to still want to send my carbs to the sunny state but for now i have to stop the gas leak and get a new throttle cable on there.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 08:07:10 PM »
Just updating things i have from my post #3 and things that are on the way.

I think everything i need and other stuff i have ordered will be here by friday.

Do i really need a float fuel level gauge if i use the clear tube method ?

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
  Set the float level before you put the bowls back on to do the clear tube measurement.

Look at this post. Pretty exotic but looks good.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13483.15
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
can anyone post a link where i can buy the Carburetor float level gauge, i dont want to wait another week on shipping and have not seen it on harbor freight.