Author Topic: Carb Cleaning  (Read 10093 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Carb Cleaning
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »
can anyone post a link where i can buy the Carburetor float level gauge, i dont want to wait another week on shipping and have not seen it on harbor freight.
Harbor Freight?
bwaaa haaaaa

just make one out of heavy cardboard with a razor knife...
it's just a reference tool, "C" shaped cutout to fit, 17mm deep.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Summit670

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
or use an old credit card, make a cut out like that by carefully scribing a cut line before you cut
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »
ok ill make the guage but how bout a vise, is this one ok.?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-inch-table-swivel-vise-97160.html

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 05:47:06 AM »
That's a small vise.  If you are only going to get one, I would look for something in the 4" range at least.  A larger one would give you the ability to perhaps press something together or apart, or at least be a good surface to pound on something.  Assuming you don't have a workbench, you could mount the vise (with nuts and bolts) to a piece of sturdy wood, then clamp it down to whatever surface you can with a large C-clamp or two.  I have one of these that I take to my rental properties when I need to work on them.  Place thin cardboard or felt under it if you are worried about scratching the table you hook it to.  You could even get fancy and use a mouse pad.  If the table you are clamping to is not hardwood, I would use an oak shim under the clamp foot of the C-clamp so it won't damage anything (that much).

Or, you could get two and do this...

P.S. - Wooden paint stir sticks make great vise jaw and clamp shims.  They're just about the perfect size when cut to length.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 06:42:09 AM »
That's a small vise.  If you are only going to get one, I would look for something in the 4" range at least.  A larger one would give you the ability to perhaps press something together or apart, or at least be a good surface to pound on something.  Assuming you don't have a workbench, you could mount the vise (with nuts and bolts) to a piece of sturdy wood, then clamp it down to whatever surface you can with a large C-clamp or two.  I have one of these that I take to my rental properties when I need to work on them.  Place thin cardboard or felt under it if you are worried about scratching the table you hook it to.  You could even get fancy and use a mouse pad.  If the table you are clamping to is not hardwood, I would use an oak shim under the clamp foot of the C-clamp so it won't damage anything (that much).

Or, you could get two and do this...

P.S. - Wooden paint stir sticks make great vise jaw and clamp shims.  They're just about the perfect size when cut to length.
    That looks ok to clamp one carb but I think I would use the BIG vise for the whole rack of carbs. Secure'em real tight so's they don't drop on the floor!!!!  Also remember-- don't force it! Get a BIGGER HAMMER.  ::)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »
Also remember-- don't force it! Get a BIGGER HAMMER.

You mean a Smacker like Steve has in his video lol  ;D

Seriously I spent alot on parts already and don't have much more then 20 bucks to spend on tools or parts this time around and may have to wait a few more weeks if i really need a good vise.

I was also looking at that $39 4' vise but its its outta my price rang right now.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »
You don't need a vise at all. Just a couple of cheap woodworking clamps will do the trick, along with something stable to clamp to.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »
You really don't even need to clamp them.  All that has to happen is to have the rack level.  A couple of pieces of wood blocks, etc., will do.  You just need the cabs high enough off our table so you can loop the clear plastic tube under and up alongside them.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:06 AM »
Ok that's good news, i kept wondering why i really need a vise.

float level needs to be 17mm correct ??

i start working on it this Saturday.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 05:16:29 AM »
Ok that's good news, i kept wondering why i really need a vise.

Go back and look at my bench pic on the first page of the thread.  I just use wire to support them when doing the float levels.  If you are using the impact driver to separate them, you could get a dense piece of outdoor carpet as your hammer surface (cheap from Lowes).  One linear foot would probably be enough, sometimes you can find the carpet squares too.  Just lay it on the ground with decent support (wood scraps) so you don't break or crack anything.

I've lived in apartments before too.  I've done all kinds of repairs, the worst thing is picking up each day and hiding stuff until you finish the job.  All without pissing off the neighbors.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »
Yeah i seen your pic and thats probably how i will do it, my friend has a cement slab with old carpet already on it and he has a bunch of wood and plastic tables benches so im good there, he also has a lot of junk around the yard so i'm sure i can put it to use.

yup apartments suck for trying to work on anything, i can do an oil or brake pad change no problem but other then that there has been times when i had to put my bike back together without bolting anything up and just try to finish next morning befor anyone gets up.

I want to Thank everyone for your input helping on this job.

my friend has internet so i hope you guys are watching the forum tomorrow if i run into trouble i will post up. thanks

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 06:36:02 AM »
Bike is running & back on the road although i did not complete everything i wanted to, I got the carb kit in and new idle jets but had trouble getting the old mains out and was afraid i was gonna strip/break something so i did not force the issue.

Steve's 2 Minute Mod Jet Kit will be shipped back to him along with my carbs if i ever win the lotto lol, i wanted the over flow tubes put in anyway.

Fuel level is still not right and the bike is running about the same, My main goal was to stop the gas leak and i did that by replacing the float bowl O-rings, honestly i got tired of messing with it and could have done a better job but i was still lacking in a comfort working area and the proper tools but im still glad i had a shot at it.

here is a pic of the carbs off the bike befor i started cleaning and can anyone tell me why the #4 carb butterfly is black with what looks like carbon and the others look clean? low fuel?

dang i did the clear tube check on #1 - #4 befor i took the carbs off but already forgot the readings, i just remember both was off, one was to low and other was to high so i guess 4 was the low one.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 07:02:37 AM »
Congrats, I know it was scary, but you've learned about your bike and that's a good thing.

#4 is black because the intake valve has a reasonably bad sealing issue. It is either is being held off the the seat from lack of adjustment clearance, or valve tuliping. your bike will never run well without that issue being resolved. Steve

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »
So that's probably why the #4 carb will cough randomly while idle and just off idle ever 5-10- or 15 seconds, it's been doing that for a long time now and maybe i missed the proper setting on my last valve adjustment.

this is what i wrote down in my last adjustment.

"Jun 3rd 2011 Adjusted Valves - set them to (Intake .007 Exhaust .009) 67,700 miles. bike miles now 81,400
found 2 valves tight, #3cyl intake, #1cyl intake. all others haven't moved.
everything looks good".

despite what i wrote down i still could have made an adjustment mistake or like you say something else going on.

looks like a valve check is in the near future.