Author Topic: Noob here  (Read 13353 times)

Offline pothole

Noob here
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »
Picking up a new black '12 Halloween day....Test rode it today, yum. Rode a new ZX-14 at San Mateo show, loved it, but ready for shaft/electronic/bags et al. This is my 14th bike currently, been touring an '05 H-D Road Glide, which I'm keeping.(along with the others...not married, no kids, retired). While riding the H-D on twisties, longed for my VTR. So this will satisfy both needs. Thanks, this forum really
helped seal the deal.   Tim
This C-14 is now my 14th bike currently...too many is never enough.
Garmin GPS, Go Cruise, Helmet locks, Delkevic 13" Carbon Tri-Oval, Mag-Knight, Lamm seat, PrjctD Wings, Guhl ECU, Advanced Sport Touring 2" Pullback risers.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Noob here
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »
You will love it!  My bet- you will likely choose it to be the bike to ride almost all the time; especially once you have "farkled" it up.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:15:16 PM »
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Keeping the other bike is probably a good idea. I have always regretted getting rid of my bikes.

Offline pothole

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »
Thanks. I truly am spoiled picking which bike to ride. Just want travel farther with the C. All depends on weather/mood for the others.
Garmin GPS, Go Cruise, Helmet locks, Delkevic 13" Carbon Tri-Oval, Mag-Knight, Lamm seat, PrjctD Wings, Guhl ECU, Advanced Sport Touring 2" Pullback risers.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:46:27 PM »
Welcome Tim!  :chugbeer:

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »
You can't run the twisties very well with those P.O.S. Bridgestones. Get them taken off ASAP- trade them in at the dealer for some decent Michelin PR 3's and then go find some sweepers, or run with the Porsches- you'll be lovin' it.

Offline pothole

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up. Any opinion on 190/50 to 190/55 ?

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
I just installed a PR3- 55 after running a PR2 -50 for a long time. I can say that it's the best tire I have ever used- even more stable in high speed sweepers and a faster turn-in than the PR2. This bike is very sensitive to tires, but once you are dialed in, it's hard to get that s_ _ _ eatin' grin off your face. This is obviously the tire that Kawasaki should have used..

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 01:48:29 AM »

Yes, here is what I noticed.
With the 190/50 I would have to hold the bike in the turn (keep pushing the handle bar down on the inside of the turn) with the 190/55 I would put the bike in a turn and now it stays where I put it, I dont have to keep pushing to hold it in the turn.
Much better with the 55 IMHO.
The PR3's are great tires. I wont even try and ride on the stock tires. I gave those away-- the sooner the better.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:33:40 AM »

Truthfully, I don't feel any difference.  Welcome, BTW.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 04:00:47 AM »
Have to send you to remedial sensitivity training.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:28:54 AM »

Welcome! +3 on 190/55 PR3

Besides better handling, the 55 profile makes your speedo more accurate.

Offline pothole

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
Thanks.  Headin' out now to pick it up! Still great weather here in Nor-Cal, will have it broken in soon.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
the 55 profile makes your speedo more accurate.

Well, I guess there is that, but I haven't proved that either..  Course I haven't checked it with the GPS since I put the 55 on.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
Well, I guess there is that, but I haven't proved that either..  Course I haven't checked it with the GPS since I put the 55 on.

I admit better handling is subjective, but speedo correction is fact as measured against my GPS.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »

Have you tried leaning?  :rotflmao:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
 :battle: Of course I have!  Are you trying for Twit status?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »
Welcome! +3 on 190/55 PR3  Besides better handling, the 55 profile makes your speedo more accurate.

And makes the bike taller.  And for some of us, ANY amount of taller is a very bad thing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline pothole

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »
First 110 miles. All as expected. Throttle lock needed. Have one on all the others. Now to turn into
an electronics engineer to try and use all it offers, fun stuff.

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 05:22:49 AM »
Welcome to the board :chugbeer:

I  went with a 95 and PR 2s after 3,000 miles and the bike does turn much mo better and a throttlemeister lock which is a beautiful piece.

Do the first service yourself, it's just an oil, filter and gear oil change and inspect the torque on all bolts.  Bought the parts at the Kawi dealer (the receipt has the mileage on it just in case)and they insisted that I use dino for the first change.  I'm no wrench, but I hate to waste $$

Also, most bikes come with the headlight facing too far down, so check that out.