Author Topic: Bags Away!  (Read 22863 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Bags Away!
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
Just because something hasn't happened to you or you haven't seen it happen doesn't mean it's not real.  We've had experienced riders (who know how to put the cases on) lost them on bumpy roads.  It gets kind of agitating when you have others saying you don't know what you're doing and Kawasaki and it's dealer network washing their hands of you...  Does it happen a lot?  No, but when it happens to you it gets personal.  They've still got problems with the gravel in the rear brake, the cases still can fall off, the rear carrier is only good to carry a sandwich, the front rotors are made of chocolate, and we still have the occasional KIPASS hiccup.  And yes, I still love the bike and would not trade it in for the world.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
After reading about this problem so many times, I just had to see for myself. I usually leave the bags hanging in the garage unless I'm taking a trip so I mounted them up. There is no way my bags are coming off unless they loosen up considerably from how they are now. I get a little play in the rear brackets, but I would have to break something in order for them to come out. Neither the front bracket nor the latch has any play in them at all. Perhaps some just fit better than others? Or maybe riding around with them on all the time loosens them up a bit? Just guesses.

Offline vivo

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
The pins work good.... emmm I was washing the bike last week and I decided to do a real good job as I had been riding in sloppy weather the week prior... When I went to remove a bag I found it was stuck... maybe I had done something wrong? I again tried to free the bag but it wouldn't release... WTF... So I tried the other bag thinking that the latch was stuck.... same...............duhhhhhh       oh yea the pins!     Not only do the bags stay on but you can't yank em off either so they are a very cheap measure of security...

vivo

Offline vivo

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
 Pinned bags make it 100% impossible to have a bag fall off...100%! 

;)
vivo

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
I bought the z clips of ebay direct from America (for when I get my bike in a week or two). Think they were $20 something inc postage, a dam site cheaper than a new or repaired bag.
Dont care if my bags are tight or loose the clips will be on for peace of mind regardless..

Offline jonathan

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »
.....Perhaps some just fit better than others? Or maybe riding around with them on all the time loosens them up a bit? Just guesses.

Manufacturing tolerances can add up.

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 05:27:20 PM »
After reading so much about this I decided to make the modification with some clasps that I had on hand; 

These arn't going anywhere and look like they came on the bike.

Offline comet

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »
Nice job, Jaclaw!  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
"Quote from: Rhino on June 08, 2011, 07:14:48 pm

No need to drill, just get these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Concours-14-GTR-1400-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0aac5bacQQitemZ270762007468QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories"

Done
Arrived yesterday.  Easiest mod ever- open handle put on metal thingy, close handle.   It is an amazing idea/design and fits perfectly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
"Quote from: Rhino on June 08, 2011, 07:14:48 pm

No need to drill, just get these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Concours-14-GTR-1400-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0aac5bacQQitemZ270762007468QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories"
Arrived yesterday.  Easiest mod ever- open handle put on metal thingy, close handle.   It is an amazing idea/design and fits perfectly.

Agreed!  :thumbs:

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
The retaining brackets are trick, and work really well.

Oh yea, I'm the guy who instantly took the bread wrapper off the clip...then noticed the instructions..."The read wrapper is for the right bag..."  Well, at least I had a 50-50 shot of getting it right the first time.

Offline Restless

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
After reading so much about this I decided to make the modification with some clasps that I had on hand; 

These arn't going anywhere and look like they came on the bike.

Those look great...Nice work!  :thumbs:  Where did you find the black ones?  Got a link?
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »
The retaining brackets are trick, and work really well.

Oh yea, I'm the guy who instantly took the bread wrapper off the clip...then noticed the instructions..."The read wrapper is for the right bag..."  Well, at least I had a 50-50 shot of getting it right the first time.

LOL!  I ALMOST did the same thing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 06:27:10 AM »
The clasps were left over from some project years ago.  Not sure where they can be found.

Offline canucken

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »
Just lost my left side bag this past weekend. Was doing a 150 mile ride up to Lime Rock, CT. Stopped for gas one time on the way there and it was still on the bike, got to the track and it was gone. Spent two hours looking for it but no luck. Phone, shoes, hat and gloves inside. Going to be having a conversation with Kawi about this. It was mounted correctly, I always double check to make sure they're on. I'll be pinning the next one but am disturbed by the number of people this has happened to. Something is wrong with the design.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »
Just lost my left side bag this past weekend. Was doing a 150 mile ride up to Lime Rock, CT. Stopped for gas one time on the way there and it was still on the bike, got to the track and it was gone. Spent two hours looking for it but no luck. Phone, shoes, hat and gloves inside. Going to be having a conversation with Kawi about this. It was mounted correctly, I always double check to make sure they're on. I'll be pinning the next one but am disturbed by the number of people this has happened to. Something is wrong with the design.

:o

Yet another reason to get the first gen C14, you can see the bags in yer mirrors...  ;) :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »

Bummer. That would really suck. Do you have a gen 1 or 2 bike?

I use the retaining brackets from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/270912949890?_trksid=p4340.l2557&forcev4exp=true&item=270912949890&nma=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&si=/uILVgDPZDNEaDRbZolF0JCbgrU=&vxp=mtr

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »

That really sucks! Sorry about that. Some of us went with these instead of pinning.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=473.0

I missed Rhino's post above. These are the same brackets from the same seller.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
Good luck talking with Kwak central.  Let us know how that goes.......seriously.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »

:o

Yet another reason to get the first gen C14, you can see the bags in yer mirrors...  ;) :)

Yeah but you can't see the cars ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver