Author Topic: Bags Away!  (Read 22865 times)

Offline comet

Bags Away!
« on: June 05, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
Last week, the first real GOOD weather of the year finally hit Vancouver, Washington.

Naturally, I was anxious to trade in my raingear for the textile armor and take the C14 out on a run. About halfway down 109th street, while travelling nearly 40mph-- I hear this godawful racket...

What I saw in my rearview mirror confirmed the worst--- my left saddlebag had come loose and was bouncing down the street behind me.

Pulling over (luckily no traffic)- I retrieved the bag and refastened it to the bike. Amazingly, the bag had less damage than I originally expected-- and even stayed shut during the ordeal. (Thankfully, this was one time I wasn't carrying my laptop (I always carry it in the left bag- away from any exhaust heat).

I've read numerous accounts of bags jettisoning, but never figured it wouldn't happen to my bike.

Well now it has.

I have the upgraded latches from the recall, but they apparently aren't as secure as I'd hoped.

Once the bag gets repaired- it's getting PINNED.  Thanks to those honest individuals on this forum who warned me-- and presented a solution. If only I'd have listened...

Offline vivo

Re: Bags Away!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
owww can't we say we told ya soooo.....

Sucks you had to see your beautiful luggage bouncing behind you but thankfully it didn't end up under the front of a truck or playing pong on the turnpike where it would have been lost and you would have been at risk trying to get it....   pin baby pin.... a dollar fix if you use two allen wrenches and a couple of rubber grommets as backings. I made the holes exactly a firm fit and just used the grommets as extra safety on the other side where the stem exits the bracket...

vivo

Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:10:29 AM »
That really does suck. But like you pointed to. It always happens to the other guy. It's a herd mentality! That is until it bites you!  :o I hope all works out well. You were lucky that you heard and saw it. You could have totally lost the bag. But it's not a problem! At least that's what we have heard!  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:15:39 AM »
The bag recall was for the latches breaking.   What we're seeing now is that some bikes have a wide tolerance in fit between the latching surface and the latch.  Not all the bikes have this but it would be wise to either pin or use the saddlebag retaining brackets.  Another 'fix' is to narrow the tolerance between the latching surface and the latch.

Pinning the bags - http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1152.0
Saddlebag retaining brackets - http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=473.0
Tolerance fix - http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/baglatchfix
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:57 AM »
Sorry you had your bags go bouncing down the road.   :(

I decided to not take any chances and i pinned mine last week.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
Its a sickening feeling to see your bag flying off behind you. I just replaced my right side bag (which I destroyed hitting a gas pump protector after parking too close to refuel). I noticed the replacement bag is tighter fitting than the OEM bags ever were; but I think I want to pin my bags for extra insurance. I also think Kawasaki needs to go back to the drawing board on these units. seems like a better job can be done in securing the bags to the bike.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
What I saw in my rearview mirror confirmed the worst--- my left saddlebag had come loose and was bouncing down the street behind me.

You really should post what year bike and how many miles.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline comet

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »
You really should post what year bike and how many miles.

2008 w/21k mi.

Thanks all for the comments!

Anyone have a connect with a good price on another bag?

Offline TonyR

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bag... if you are looking for a new one and would like to sell that one, I would like to buy it if it is functional.

Tony

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
2008 w/21k mi.

Ah, so you were in the luggage attachment recall span/area.  Did you ever get the recall "fixes" done to the bike?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline comet

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
Ah, so you were in the luggage attachment recall span/area.  Did you ever get the recall "fixes" done to the bike?

Yes.  I did get the newer latches installed right after the recall.

I was under the mistaken impression Kawasaki's updates were a cure-all:  now, to my dismay-- several years later, I find out different...

Again, very good info on the old site, (thanks for the links, vajim) .

TonyR, if/when I locate another replacement bag, I'll send you some pics of the damage...

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
Well, so I have one less thing to obsess about, I just ordered the retaining clips thingies off FeeBay.

Bob

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »
Well, so I have one less thing to obsess about, I just ordered the retaining clips thingies off FeeBay.

You might have gotten them cheaper directly from Zteve on here!  :o

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
You might have gotten them cheaper directly from Zteve on here!  :o

If I'd known that . . .

Can't remember everything and no longer try to.

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 06:34:41 PM »
Is this somthing to worry about on the 2011 too?

Bob

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
Is this somthing to worry about on the 2011 too?

yes

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 07:07:35 PM »
Thanks, I'll be addressing it this weekend!! Finding a bag gone is a horrifying thought!!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »

yes

:(  I was hoping to avoid having to address it.  I guess pinning them isn't a huge big deal, since I rarely take them off.  But the thought of drilling into stuff on a brand new bike is..... disturbing.  Maybe some of those kewl looking metal retainer things in that other thread, then...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »
Wow, I hate to hear this happening to folks.

Almost 33,000 miles and my '10 bags haven't taken flight (yet).  I'm not too concerned about it though. Its about time for something to happen.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »
that does suck.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.