Author Topic: Why do you think there are soo many newer used connies for sale  (Read 26749 times)

Offline FIX UR CRITTER

Howdy all

I just bought another 2008 c-14 ( i had a 2008 previously)

would have liked a newer model, but decided to keep my other bikes instead - and I could not walk away from the low price.

I have owned more than 25 bikes and the C14 is in the top 2 for sure.

While searching for my new (used) 14, it seemed that there were tons of 08's-11's, i was surprised at how many just in my local area alone. I usually have to travel to find a new bike - not this one.  Why do you think so many people are parting ways with such a great bike with low miles etc...

I understand there are a couple of things about the 08-09's that bother people- but i thought those issues were addressed by Kawasaki pretty quickly ( heat, mirrors, shield).. with the 10's +

opinions appreciated
Prevent a litter, Fix ur Critter
PLEASE neuter all your pets.. there are millions of starving strays that wish you did.
'08 C-14, '08 Bandit 1250
'08 SV650, '07 YZ250F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Why do you think there are soo many newer used connies for sale
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:51:57 AM »
 :popcorn:   I bought mine in Aug of 2007 and I love it.  If something happened to it I would buy a 10+ model for the OEM upgrades.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:53:36 AM »
Maybe they couldn't get the critter fixed to their liking.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56:34 AM »
Big sport tourers are a niche market.  I would guess some folks get one to try it out and realize they prefer a lighter sportier bike or something?
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56:53 AM »
That's a good point, Gary,  as most of us have spend considerable money on farkelization (if that's what you are talking about).  If you like the basic bike then it's up to you to make it your own.  But in buying a used bike you get more bang for the buck as most sell with the farkles installed.  I would probably go used in buying another one.

Another point would be the **** poor dealer network that runs the gamut from stellar to  :censored: .
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:02:48 AM »
Seat and windshield are easy changes on any bike. If I wasn't able to get the handlebars to my liking I might not have kept the connie.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:01:14 AM »
Maybe they couldn't get the critter fixed to their liking.
That's why I sold mine. After 5 different seats, different windshields and bar raisers I still couldn't get comfortable on it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
Outstanding first post.  :thumbs: :popcorn:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline Cuda

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:18 PM »
Stupid people do STUPID things :stirpot:
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
While searching for my new (used) 14, it seemed that there were tons of 08's-11's, i was surprised at how many just in my local area alone. I usually have to travel to find a new bike - not this one.  Why do you think so many people are parting ways with such a great bike with low miles etc...

I agree with wipfel.  I think the primary reason is that it is the C14 is a sports touring bike which is a niche market and many people are fickle.

* It is an expensive bike- I think some get over their head and sell it to get rid of the payment.

* Some people buy the C14 later in life to renew the good ol' days and end up not riding much and end up selling it.  Some might even lose their nerve and parting with all bikes.  Others get "hurt" and can no longer ride (like back problems or arm/hand/knee/neck issues or dizziness or whatever).

* Some people buy it for touring and end up wanting something even bigger- like the K16 or a Goldwing and sell it.

* Some people buy it for less-than-touring and end up wanting something smaller/lighter.

There are lots of possible reasons.  I think it is rarely about the bike itself not performing well or being comfortable.  It is certainly not due to lack of reliability.  And it is probably not because they could get a better deal on some other sports tourer- it is hard or impossible to beat the C14 on value.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »
Some people buy it for touring and end up wanting something even bigger-

Yeah Max bigger    like a Conversion Van
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Gsun

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
I bet if you were looking for another type of bike, you would say the same thing. It's just now you are paying attention to the C-14 sales.

Offline zx12-iowa

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:08 PM »
It's not a cool bike but a purpose built bike for sporty  long distance rides. People like the idea of it but don't use it the way they thought they would.

Me, I've had cool, 3 busas, zx12, zx11, zx10, gscr750 yadda. But I don't go 160 anymore while scraping pegs and done the 200 (ok almost at GPS 195) thing.  Drag raced... But I'm passed that stage and the c14 is plenty fast thru 3rd gear before she falls flat at 120ish. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
It's not a cool bike but a purpose built bike for sporty  long distance rides. People like the idea of it but don't use it the way they thought they would.

Me, I've had cool, 3 busas, zx12, zx11, zx10, gscr750 yadda. But I don't go 160 anymore while scraping pegs and done the 200 (ok almost at GPS 195) thing.  Drag raced... But I'm passed that stage and the c14 is plenty fast thru 3rd gear before she falls flat at 120ish.
Our respective definitions of 'falls flat' must differ somewhat.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 07:15:42 PM »

Huh?  :nuts:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
Ditto.

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »
I looked for a couple of months for a used one, and nothing came up locally, so I bought a new one.

Of course, shortly after I bought a new one, the used ones for sale came out of the woodwork.

Oh well, if we all only bought things used, there'd be fewer jobs and we'd have as much new stuff as Cuba... that's my excuse!
My Kawasakis:
2012 Concours
2003 Z1000
1970 G4TR 100 Trail Boss

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »
Connie is a big bike, a bit top heavy, and needing a firm hand.  The heat is an issue on a 90+ degree day.  In stock version, the ergos are a challenge, and the tires stink.  Many folks never get past the first impression to find the real gem that dwells within.  A lot of theses bikes have low miles, so the OO never really gets past that first impression.  To each their own, but I do understand why a lot of folks don't keep them very long.

Let's face it.  This bike is not for everyone.  If you have a Gold Wing (barcolounger) mentality, the C14 will feel spartan.  If you are looking for a sport bike, it will feel pretty bulky.  If you are a cruiser, your knees will scream.  If you are used to a smaller bike, the C14 will feel like a whale.  Despite it being the lowest cost bike in it's class, it is still a pretty big investment.  Buyer remorse can hit pretty quickly when the weather turns foul and the payments still have to get paid.  There is usually a gap between the advertised bike and the real thing.

I bought my '08 used with only 2500 miles on it for a pretty reasonable price, so remorse has never set in (well bought is twice the fun).  At first I really wondered if this was going to work out.  After some research (much thanks to the folks here!), with sufficient farkelization, better brakes, and real tires (PR3s), it works pretty well.  After 22K miles I have to admit that I like it, and look forward to every ride.  Now, if we could just figure out how to get rid of KIPASS ...  ;D

Ride safe ...  8)
Dave

'08 C14
'09 KLR 650
'03 Triumph Speedmaster
'91 Honda NH 750

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »
It's not a cool bike but a purpose built bike for sporty  long distance rides.

Our respective definitions of 'cool bike' must differ somewhat.  :)

I personally think the C14 is "cool"!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc