Author Topic: Heat Relief  (Read 9666 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Heat Relief
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
This is about not the typical 08, 09 heat complaint, which I beleive has to do with lots of heat coming out the fairing vents and roasting the legs. Yeah, there is some heat there but that never bothered me much. This is about heat coming through the tank and seat after a few hours riding in hot weather. I have an 08 and I have 54000 miles on it and until recently the only time I was really uncomfortable was an 800 mile trip in 95-99 degree temps. I figure that trip would have been pretty rough on any bike. But in February I developed a case of severe psoriasis :o
Basically my skin has gone berserk! I won't go into details but the part revelent to riding is that my butt and crotch get raw and irritated just walking around (i know, too much info).
So, the heat comimg through the tank and seat is very unpleasant!

I installed this stuff under my seat and tank.

I am also replacing my coolant with a Redline Water Wetter mixture. They claim a reduction in engine temperatue of up to 20 degrees F.

I have not tested these mods yet as while I was in there I discovered some more rodent damage.   That took some dissassembly to repair plus I realized I should replace my air filter while the plastic is off. I will have to wait to order  a filter Tuesday.

A mouse built a nest nest to the throttle pivot, I am amazed it did not get jammed wide open and kill me dead. He (she?) also knawed the insulation off the white wire to what I think is the cam position sensor or some such.  Hopefully in a few days I will have it back together and can test ride and report the results, subjective as they may be.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jayke

Re: Heat Relief
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
I've got self-adhesive heat insulation under the tank and seat pan.  It helps but don't expect a 100% solution to your problems. 

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
I am not expecting 100%, I'd be pleased with 25%. I also purchased an Airhawk 2 seat pad which should help. The bead seat that I have enjoyed for 150,000 miles is no longer comfortable to my tender butt. :'(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »
You may want to think about all the voids under the seat that help direct heat to that area in the first place.  I've stuffed mine with foam.  Does it help?  The jury is still out....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 08:55:27 PM »
That is so strange the difference from bike to bike, I havent noticed my tank getting that warm at all. I do have a Baldwin saddle, but can't say I noticed anything with the stocker either.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »
You may want to think about all the voids under the seat that help direct heat to that area in the first place.  I've stuffed mine with foam.  Does it help?  The jury is still out....
I will look into that, thanks.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
That is so strange the difference from bike to bike, I havent noticed my tank getting that warm at all. I do have a Baldwin saddle, but can't say I noticed anything with the stocker either.
The tank heat is very obvious when you fill up with gas. The relief from the cool fuel is wonderful.
But too short lived.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
If you ride faster you'll need fuel in shorter intervals and the relief will last longer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »
If you ride faster you'll need fuel in shorter intervals and the relief will last longer.
Hmmm, sounds like a plan...

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 12:05:20 AM »
Would it be wrong to put Ice Cubes in the tank...... AAAHHHhhhhhh, just think how that'd feel on the legs and 'family jewels'.......  I could ride for DAYS!!!!!
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Bob

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 04:52:16 AM »

Does the voids under your seat like being stuffed with foam Jim?  :rotflmao:

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 05:44:37 AM »
When I go on long rides I wear padded bicycle shorts instead of underwear. Just be sure to get them large enough to not constrict. Makes the bathroom breaks more of a chore, but well worth it IMHO. The lycra feels soft to the skin too. I have even gone as far as spending $120 a pair for the high end ones and would not trade them for anything.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 06:31:24 AM »

Does the voids under your seat like being stuffed with foam Jim?  :rotflmao:

Pants get bulky at times but other than that.....yes.

Offline koval68

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 06:44:41 AM »
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:  Ride more, worry less!!!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 07:01:11 AM »
When I go on long rides I wear padded bicycle shorts instead of underwear. Just be sure to get them large enough to not constrict. Makes the bathroom breaks more of a chore, but well worth it IMHO. The lycra feels soft to the skin too. I have even gone as far as spending $120 a pair for the high end ones and would not trade them for anything.
Welcome to the forum  newbie. Are you in Shreveport, LA?
I am thinking about the padded riding shorts sold by Aerostich. They have pairs for $89 and $37. But I wonder if the padding would make the heat problem worse.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 07:54:47 AM »
I tried padded riding shorts many years ago and had the worst case of heat rash I have ever had. I took them off at the end of the day and never used them again. Maybe I didn't get them loose enough, but that's my experience with them.

Now I use a sheepskin on by seat and it seems to help. My opinion is that you have to get something to insulate yourself from the vinyl covering on the seat. Anytime you stop for lunch,etc. always park your bike in the shade. The sun really heats up the vinyl. With a sheep skin you will hardly notice it.

That's my .02. Good luck.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum  newbie. Are you in Shreveport, LA?
I am thinking about the padded riding shorts sold by Aerostich. They have pairs for $89 and $37. But I wonder if the padding would make the heat problem worse.
Yes, I am in the Shreveport, La. area.
 I wear mine with vented textile pants on 2+ hour rides in the summer months. I havent tried them on long runs, with jeans, in the heat. Short runs, I don't bother with them.
2011 Concours 14
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 08:24:28 AM »
Yes, I am in the Shreveport, La. area.
 I wear mine with vented textile pants on 2+ hour rides in the summer months. I havent tried them on long runs, with jeans, in the heat. Short runs, I don't bother with them.
I am in St. Francisville. Check out www.lamsta.com and www.ridemsta.com
We go for BBQ in Natchez a lot, Clarence a few times a year.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 08:31:41 AM »
I am in St. Francisville. Check out www.lamsta.com and www.ridemsta.com
We go for BBQ in Natchez a lot, Clarence a few times a year.
Thanks, I will check them out.
2011 Concours 14
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »
I have become addicted to under armour and/or padded cycling shorts........both make a huge difference in comfort, staying cool, butt burn, and dryout very quickly if they become wet.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey