Author Topic: Heat Relief  (Read 9705 times)

Offline Deathwish

Re: Heat Relief
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:11:18 AM »
I second the sheepskin! Makes a huge difference in comfort when it's warm. I sweat much less with the sheepskin on than I do without it. I have also found that riding commando (sans undies) with looser fitting pants can also be much cooler. Standing up on the pegs once in a while to get some airflow across the family jewels brings some much needed relief.  ;)

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
The Tee, being a former commando, has never abandoned the "commando" dress code.  I have never experienced any issues with heat problems like that even in the Summer.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
TMI in here.....

;D

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »
permenantly remove the heat deflectors. mine have been off for two years.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum  newbie. Are you in Shreveport, LA?
I am thinking about the padded riding shorts sold by Aerostich. They have pairs for $89 and $37. But I wonder if the padding would make the heat problem worse.

Forget the Aerostitch stuff. That's too much. I'd recommend some of the riding shorts designed for the off-road riders, either with or without padding. These are basically bicycle shorts and vented and modern fabrics. Cool, comfortable, etc . . . and a whole lot cheaper than Aerostitch's version. Figure $30 to $40. I can point you to some brands if you want.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 03:04:11 PM »
Forget the Aerostitch stuff. That's too much. I'd recommend some of the riding shorts designed for the off-road riders, either with or without padding. These are basically bicycle shorts and vented and modern fabrics. Cool, comfortable, etc . . . and a whole lot cheaper than Aerostitch's version. Figure $30 to $40. I can point you to some brands if you want.
Yes, give me some barnd names, I agree Aerostich charges to much.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
Mine have been off that long also.

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
+1 on the Airhawk cushion - it made a noticeable difference on the C10 in reducing the heat felt. Be aware ,that when properly inflated it will raise you a good 1/2 to 3/4  inch ,if that is a critical dimension for you.
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
I just did 240 miles on the VFR (C14 waiting for a K&N air filter from Murph) I needed some green Anti-Freeze to mix with the Water Wetter. Redline recommends minimum 15% for street vehicles, no idea why. I found an Autozone after wandering around for 130 miles. I left at 10:00 am and by 10:30 the gauge said 99. It soon got to 102 and hovered there most of the ride with some 104 and a high of 106. I was wearing under armour shorts under mesh pants. By 2:00 I was standing on the pegs every 3 minutes!

So, its not just a Concours thing.  It's mostly  a climate change thing and a skin condition thing. I don't expect relief from climate change in my lifetime :'( The medicine I am on may take 4 months to reach full effect. In the meantime I will keep experimenting  and try to make the best of the summer heat.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »

Mine have been off since the day I got it. Never noticed a difference in heat, but it does look cooler.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
You might want to try a product that I use racing. It's similar to but not the same as baby powder. Called "Anti-Monkey Butt" and bike shops usually stock it.

Absorbs sweat and prevents chaffing. I use it on really hot/humid days (mx riders wear a LOT of gear and even vented, it's pretty hot and heavy) and it definitely lives up to its name. Worth a shot. Not expensive, maybe $8 for a container. Google it.

Offline gflint

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »
For bike shorts look for Pearl izumi, Bellwether or upper level Specialized.  Do not buy the cheap shorts.  The cheap short pads will not get rid of the moisture quick enough to avoid monkey butt.  If you pay less than $80 they are cheap.  Good downhill mountain bike shorts are very cool and the good ones will not hold moisture.  You can also take your riding pants off and walk around in them without being self conscious unlike the normal bike shorts.  They also have pockets.   I have also tried running lycra.  They are just bike shorts without the pad.  I use those combined with my downhill shorts now that I have a dead sheep skin on my seat.  I tried the commando option for a while.  On hot days I ended up sitting on things I do not want to sit on.

I used bubble wrap under my tank.  Home Depot stuff with aluminum on both sides.  Works great and cheap.  It has been in there 3 years without an issue.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
You might want to try a product that I use racing. It's similar to but not the same as baby powder. Called "Anti-Monkey Butt" and bike shops usually stock it.

Absorbs sweat and prevents chaffing. I use it on really hot/humid days (mx riders wear a LOT of gear and even vented, it's pretty hot and heavy) and it definitely lives up to its name. Worth a shot. Not expensive, maybe $8 for a container. Google it.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have some of that, I won it at an MSTA rally. But I actually prefer and use Gold Bond body powder. They are both mainly talc, Monkey powder adds calamine, Gold Bond add zinc and menthol. I will give the Monkey powder another try since I have some left. Maybe the calmine will help with my psoriasis.