Author Topic: power commander v failure  (Read 20023 times)

Offline Mighty

power commander v failure
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
I have a whopping 250 miles on my 14 all with the power commander.  Today I took the bike for a spin to my buddies about 10 miles away.  Ran fine there but when I left she ran rough and died about a mile down the road.  Ended up trailering it home. Once home she started and ran fine so I let her idle for about 10 minutes and she died again.  I yanked out the power commander and she ran fine.  Let her idle for quite a while with no issue.  Took her for a spin and still no issue.  The power commander was mounted up in the fairing and wasn't hot.  Any idea's why it failed?
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: power commander v failure
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
Check the ground connection!  That is usually the problem especially if you grounded it where the instructions said to (behind the coolant reservoir).  I had to grind some metal down and used an additional washer on mine to make sure I had a good connection.  If it does end up being a bad PCV I would be a little surprised but I am sure DynoJet will take care of you.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Mighty

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:21:24 PM »
Check the ground connection!  That is usually the problem especially if you grounded it where the instructions said to (behind the coolant reservoir).  I had to grind some metal down and used an additional washer on mine to make sure I had a good connection.  If it does end up being a bad PCV I would be a little surprised but I am sure DynoJet will take care of you.
Ground bolt was tight on bright metal.  I rode the bike 200 miles Saturday with zero issues.  Why did it act up when the bike got hotter??  Riding the bike without it and the performance seems similar.  I'm wondering if it's worth the reliability risk.  I had a power commander fail on my cbr1100xx and it left me stranded on the side of the highway. A guy stopped and let me use his tools and I removed it and rode home.  Left it off for good.
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
68 Rag top Vette

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:25 PM »
It might need the map reinstalled.  If not, give Dynojet a call and see about a refund or replacement.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Mighty

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
Going to call fuel moto in the morning
Honda TRX700XX
68 Rag top Vette

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »
I'd be willing to bet You still have a ground issue. Ground resistance builds as heat increases. Just because it is clean doesn't mean there's no ground problem. Ground the wire directly to the battery & to the chassis. Much less chance of ground resistance building up then. I connected 2 14 gauge wires to My PCV ground wire and did it. Checked My connections the other day after about a year of use. Still in good shape.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Bob

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »
Check the ground connection!  That is usually the problem especially if you grounded it where the instructions said to (behind the coolant reservoir).  I had to grind some metal down and used an additional washer on mine to make sure I had a good connection. If it does end up being a bad PCV I would be a little surprised but I am sure DynoJet will take care of you.

Dynojet recommends mounting the ground wire behind the coolent reservoir. If in front it may give you ground troubles. I personally like a better ground yet by running a wire to a better frame ground point.
 Now with that said, my PC V on my 08 failed immediately when the bike warmed up, (a few miles) just as you are stating. Mine was not a ground, but a bad PC V from the factory. In my case, fuelmoto sent me another because it was brand new from them. Same ground and a new PC V unit and I never had a fuel problem again with my time with the bike!

Offline Mighty

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »
Dynojet recommends mounting the ground wire behind the coolent reservoir. If in front it may give you ground troubles. I personally like a better ground yet by running a wire to a better frame ground point.
 Now with that said, my PC V on my 08 failed immediately when the bike warmed up, (a few miles) just as you are stating. Mine was not a ground, but a bad PC V from the factory. In my case, fuelmoto sent me another because it was brand new from them. Same ground and a new PC V unit and I never had a fuel problem again with my time with the bike!
I spoke with Fuel Moto and they believe it is a defective unit.  With my record with fuel programmers now, I'm leary about installing another.    I'm not sure the little improvement in performance is worth the potential of being stranded again.
Honda TRX700XX
68 Rag top Vette

Bob

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:50:41 AM »
I spoke with Fuel Moto and they believe it is a defective unit.  With my record with fuel programmers now, I'm leary about installing another.    I'm not sure the little improvement in performance is worth the potential of being stranded again.

I have to admit that I carried the tools on my bike for quite a while, to make for a quicker unplug of the PC V (back to the OEM settings) in the case of another failure. But that was all for not! I never had trouble again! I did not want to ever have to push that monster uphill home again!!!!!!!!!    :yikes:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 02:00:14 PM »
If I was not worried about warranty issues I would invest in the remapping of the ECU.   Seems there are 2 alternatives and I have not seen any issues with either.

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:55 PM »
I haven't had any trouble with my PC-V so far.  I did a bike trip last week and rode in a wide range of weather conditions and altitudes, no problems.  I used the recommended grounding point and made sure to put the ground wire between the block and the reservoir.  If there are any problems with the PC-V itself or the ground, heat will definitely make it worse.  One of the indications that an ignition module is going bad on an automotive engine is that the car runs fine until it gets warm, and then it dies and won't start again until it cools down.  I'm sure once you get everything squared away, you'll get plenty of worry free miles out of you PC-V.  And if you want to experience a more noticeable gain, do the flyectomy, high flow filter, and better exhaust.  The PC will help make the most of those mods.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Mighty

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
I haven't had any trouble with my PC-V so far.  I did a bike trip last week and rode in a wide range of weather conditions and altitudes, no problems.  I used the recommended grounding point and made sure to put the ground wire between the block and the reservoir.  If there are any problems with the PC-V itself or the ground, heat will definitely make it worse.  One of the indications that an ignition module is going bad on an automotive engine is that the car runs fine until it gets warm, and then it dies and won't start again until it cools down.  I'm sure once you get everything squared away, you'll get plenty of worry free miles out of you PC-V.  And if you want to experience a more noticeable gain, do the flyectomy, high flow filter, and better exhaust.  The PC will help make the most of those mods.
My flies are gone and I have a BMC filter
Honda TRX700XX
68 Rag top Vette

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »

Customer Service at it's best.  Gotta love a company that is willing to work with a customer to solve any issues

Offline Mighty

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »
Customer Service at it's best.  Gotta love a company that is willing to work with a customer to solve any issues
Not too sure about their customer service.  I called today to see if they recieved it and was told they have no way to test it and are sending it to dynotek for testing. Too bad they didn't say that originally and I could have saved time and sent it directly to dynotek myself. I guess a dead bike isn't good enough for them to replace it   :-\
Honda TRX700XX
68 Rag top Vette

Offline Dade22

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I talked to fuel moto 2 times about my c14 shutting down.  They told me to check the ground.  I did and found the one I had it connected to wasnt very good. 

My father and I  re-grounded it and that was that.  Until this spring it happend again.  I contacted fuel moto again and they are very reluctant to replace the unit.  Told me to go direct with dynojet to see if they could figure out what was going on.

A call to dynojet brought me to yet the same diagnosis.  Check the ground.  The ground seemed ok, but dynojet told me to go directly to the ground on the battery.

I ran a line to the negative battery terminal and bonded the ground of the PC-V to the new ground.  So far I havent had any issues.

Good luck!

Dade22
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »
My flies are gone and I have a BMC filter

And you don't feel like the PC made a noticeable difference?
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Mighty

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 06:40:27 AM »
And you don't feel like the PC made a noticeable difference?
No, that's why I'm wondering if the PC was messed up even when it was working.
Honda TRX700XX
68 Rag top Vette

Offline DaveO

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »
the fueling on my 09 is perfect .Dont know why anyone would want to alter it with PC.
 Is it just so you can run the noisemaker exhaust ? If so  that is some  expensive noise.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
No, that's why I'm wondering if the PC was messed up even when it was working.

ive had PC on several bikes .Didnt do much IMO .
I dont buy them anymore.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »
Anyone have any dyno results with all the mods (Full Area P, BMC, flyectomy) with no PC-V, and then with PC-V ?  My guess is the results would be very different, cause you can alter the map.

Not only the torque / hp numbers, but the driveability of the bike should be markedly better - is my guess.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.