Author Topic: Camera Mount under Bike?  (Read 15109 times)

Offline stewart

Camera Mount under Bike?
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:38:04 AM »
I have a track day booked in May and I've started thinking about capturing some interesting Camera Angles vs the stock Front and Rear facing video.

So I thought I could mount it under the bike and get some video of the Rear and Front tires railing edge to edge. Any thoughts on how this could be accomplished so 1) its dead center on the bike, even left/right and 2) I can re-use front facing and rear, less important but nice to have.

My bike is in for service so haven't had a chance to have a good ponder, but looking at photo's it doesn't seem obvious/clear.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Camera Mount under Bike?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
Seems like you could mount it where the lower front panels meat in front of the radiator.  But might bee too close to the front wheel and not give you much of a view. But the problem would be if any further back it would have to be very low and could get ripped off on any kind of bump. If low but to the side then could limit your lean angle. Maybe mounted looking straight down in the vicinity of the center stand but into a mirror. Make it so the mirror would rip off easy without doing damage. Could even get a curved mirror for a wide angle view.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »
Sounds like you need a slipstick camera.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
opportunities for mount locations are infinite.  google go pro motorcycle and take your pic, no matter what cam you use
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stewart

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
Been thinking about this and my biggest concern right now is radiant heat from the exhaust.

The two possible locations are..

1) Upfront directly behind the front tire facing rear, stuck to the bottom of the front faring, dead center. This will give me the best shot but the exhaust pipe bends right there, hence the heat question. I may need a heat shield.

2) Stuck under the rear suspension, where it hinges in the center in front of the rear wheel. I don't know the technical name of this part, but it works for a location. Only concern now is vibration and how much it tilts up/down. I won't know until I test it before heading to the track.

Other locations I plan on using is under a mirror facing rear and on the side faring facing rear.

We'll see.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
Seems like you could mount it where the lower front panels meat

Ooooh, meat is gross!  But that is another thread....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
What camera system you using?
I am happy with my GoPro. They make a lot of mounts for it.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline stewart

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
What camera system you using?
I am happy with my GoPro. They make a lot of mounts for it.

I have a Contour GPS (HD), very happy with it. I use it skiing and on the bike. Here is a video from one of my last track days.

http://contour.com/stories/trackday-june-18th-2012

Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stewart

Re: Camera Mount under Bike? (Updated)
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
Found a good location. Mounted the Camera on the Rear Suspension mount, seems to work pretty good.

I'm going to use this during my next track day in May for a session.

http://contour.com/stories/rear-tire-test

Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
Nice!!  I may do the same thing.  I'd like to see the changes the tire and suspension goes through at WFO and entry/exit height.

Offline TRBN

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 05:54:49 PM »

Son of Pappy

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 02:28:09 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-Waterproof-Hands-free-Camcorder-Watersport/dp/B007W02PRM/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1366995151&sr=1-2&keywords=contour
On order, along with the bike mount kit :)  Thanks Gumby 8)

That is a smokin deal on what appears to be a lot of camera for the money.  Saw a Contour years ago at an indoor supermoto event.  Unit appeared extremely well made, and the video looked good.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-Waterproof-Hands-free-Camcorder-Watersport/dp/B007W02PRM/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1366995151&sr=1-2&keywords=contour

Wow! I've been holding off on GoPro because I think it is WAY over priced. This looks good.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
I have a Contour GPS (HD), very happy with it. I use it skiing and on the bike. Here is a video from one of my last track days.

http://contour.com/stories/trackday-june-18th-2012

We will all be waiting anxiously for you to post some videos.  8)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »
Got mine the other day, and just got the mounts yesterday. I have not put it on the bike yet but I have been playing with it and it is a very nice little camera for the money indeed.  :thumbs:

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
I picked up a contour roam about a week ago. Works well, and the video is good too. I sold my gopro hero because it was too complicated. With the roam. You just hit the switch. I have it mounted on the side of my helmet. Very easy to reach up and turn it off or on.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Re: Camera Mount under Bike? (Updated)
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 02:07:18 AM »
Found a good location. Mounted the Camera on the Rear Suspension mount, seems to work pretty good.

I'm going to use this during my next track day in May for a session.

http://contour.com/stories/rear-tire-test

Going to try this tomorrow with my GoPro, thx for the idea..

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
I sold my gopro hero because it was too complicated.

Agree with it being to complicated.  You have to read the users guide to fully understand its workings. But it does have unlimited mounting possibilities.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
Agree with it being to complicated.  You have to read the users guide to fully understand its workings. But it does have unlimited mounting possibilities.
The first GoPro I owned was complicated but with version 2 and now version 3 that is not the case any longer.. very easy to use.