Author Topic: 2012-2014 models, what would you wish for?  (Read 24905 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2012-2014 models, what would you wish for?
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
i also do not know anyone who hasnt added risers to his bike, hey kawi how about designing the bike for american sport touring riders who happen to average more than 5 4 in height.

???  Excuse me, but I am 5'7" and the Concours 32" seat height was UNMANAGEABLE without both swapping to the lowest seat possible AND lowering the bike, AND getting the soles of my boots extended.  Even now, if I plant a foot on something slippery or shifty, I doubt I could recover and backing up the bike can be considerably difficult.  Implying that anyone over 5'4" needs to RAISE the bike is just... INSANE.  If anything, the stock seat support assembly needs to be LOWERED so people have more options for seat height.  Getting a taller seat is EASY.  Going much lower than stock is not.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
2012-2014 models, what would you wish for?

I would wish for even half as many women on those bikes as I'd had on my '10
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »
Someone already mentioned a beefier windscreen assembly to reduce the flopping (not sure of a better word, but there probably is one).  I'd suggest a stronger 'TAB' at the very bottom of the mechanism.  Remove the black piece of cowling to see it (two screws and two pop rivets).
I broke the tab when I became an honorary member of the elite C.D.A. club, dropping the bike into my truck (a whole different story for the C.D.A. thread).  The metal 'Y' bracket cannot be purchased separately, which is too bad because it's only 4 bolts and you're done.  And the entire mechanism is $640.00 retail...go to Dillon Brothers, I got mine for $482.00.  But looking into this, I understand these tabs can fail from having larger windshields and *ahem* higher speeds.  I recently put on the Cee Baileys Ultra Tour Domer- great windshield, but I'm hesitant to extend it all the way up at highway speeds. 
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Reddogger

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
Optional packages like BMW.  If folks want that stuff it should be available from the factory or dealer.  Say what you want about Harley or BMW but you have to admit they do a magnificent job of marketing and selling the options to allow one to personalize the bike (at a cost of course).  Yamaha created a Division (Star) based on the concept of "We Give it Attitude, You Make It Personal".  I personaly would not pay the price required for a bike to be equipped with that complete list but would like the option to pick and choose specific items according to my needs (and budget).
"...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."                     

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »
   Maxtog says. 
" Excuse me, but I am 5'7" and the Concours 32" seat height was UNMANAGEABLE without both swapping to the lowest seat possible AND lowering the bike, AND getting the soles of my boots extended.  Even now, if I plant a foot on something slippery or shifty, I doubt I could recover and backing up the bike can be considerably difficult.  Implying that anyone over 5'4" needs to RAISE the bike is just... INSANE.  If anything, the stock seat support assembly needs to be LOWERED so people have more options for seat height.  Getting a taller seat is EASY.  Going much lower than stock is not."

Ah i see a reading comprehension problem, i was referring to the risers not seat height, the seat is plenty high enough.

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »
Self cancelling signals, cruise control...........

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »
Ah i see a reading comprehension problem, i was referring to the risers not seat height, the seat is plenty high enough.

OK, my bad.  A little sensitive on that topic.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »
+1

...and offer the same accesories they offer in Europe.
...and PR3s stock...

+1 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
The only signifcant thing on my list is a factory electronic cruise control, which shouldn't add THAT much to the cost.  I suspect it would be popular enough as an option it's probably just cheaper to integrate it in to the base design.

i agree 110% 8)

i like to make a bike my own.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »
Add self-cancelling turn signals and make KiPiss optional.

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2011, 02:40:30 AM »
A descent matching top box
Heating options for the passenger
Cruse Control
Twin Exhaust option
Indicators in the mirrors

Leave it as a base spec bike with option packages to suit individuals to choose as they see fit.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
Remember that having lots of options adds cost too - the cost of supporting the various options has to be figured in to the base price of the bike.  Anything that can be readily "farkeled" is best left off as an option.  That that can't should be incorporated in to the base design.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 05:02:00 AM »
Cruse Control
Unlinked Brake (add a mode #3 to current configuration)
Make the normal service items easier to get to.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »
Make it lighter....

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
All comments and recommendations herein are great and all needed....however NO ONE has mentioned having the ZX-14 engine come as a standard motor in this bike...if it had a free flowing dual exhaust system that would be a great enhancement too......

This is probably the finest motorcycle out there in a Sport Tourer.....each year Kawasaki includes a few upgrades....and hopefully as time moves forward they will continue to add some newer upgrades....afterall they have to sell more new bikes...and if they don't keep current with the needs of customers....they will lose out their marketshare in the industry.

Ninja

Ninjawarrior

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
All comments and recommendations herein are great and all needed....however NO ONE has mentioned having the ZX-14 engine come as a standard motor in this bike...if it had a free flowing dual exhaust system that would be a great enhancement too......

This is probably the finest motorcycle out there in a Sport Tourer.....each year Kawasaki includes a few upgrades....and hopefully as time moves forward they will continue to add some newer upgrades....afterall they have to sell more new bikes...and if they don't keep current with the needs of customers....they will lose out their marketshare in the industry.

Ninja

I had a ZX14, horrendous gas mileage that would not support the sport touring model as distance between gas stops too close. Also power band seemed to be adjust to much higher RPMs, it ran like a raped ape but liked to be tach'd up.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »
That reminds me (thanks Steve) - In addition to many of the good suggestions above,

1. More fuel capacity :  The C10 had a 7.5 gallon tank on a 1000cc bike.  That made it a little less worrisome when touring the western states, where fuel stops have to be planned ahead of time.  Or find another way to increase the range to 300+ miles on a tank, when taking it easy on the throttle (I know, who can do that!).

2. 87 Octane fuel compatibility :  Just touring Eastern Oregon, there are routes where you will not find 91 Octane fuel.  The HD riders carry Octane Booster with them when they ride over there.  I refuse to do that.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:15:57 AM by C1xRider »
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:29 AM »
Electronic cruise control and just add another storage case on the right side of the bike like there is on the left side.   Don't understand why they wouldn't just put one on each side to begin with.   Also, one more auxillary power plug on the left side.   All relatively easy and inexpensive tweeks.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
Has anyone mentioned a digital speedo?  I get tired of looking at the MPG or tire pressure and would love the option to show a digital speedo on the main display (in addition to the analog one even).  I never thought I would like having a digital speedo, but I've had them on my last 2 bikes ('99 VFR and '07 FZ1) and on my car (Honda CR-Z) and I've grown to like them.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 02:25:15 PM »
For the "touring" side of the bike- maybe a high power, compact ROCKIN stereo!
I typically have ear buds in with music at very low volume so I can still hear the traffic around me.  But on short errands, it might be fun to have a stereo.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom