Author Topic: Ram Air  (Read 8759 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Ram Air
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
the RAM thingy that this bikes come with, and any well thought out air intake, for that matter, is not designed to increase the speed of the air coming in the cylinders, but the pressure. The intake itself is smaller than the ducts, so the air expands, decreasing its speed and increasing its preassure (Bernoulli effect). It's like a turbo, just milder, and it only works at high speed, since you're converting air speed into air pressure.
Now where's Brian?

:thumbs: Bingo! It's all about pressure. Atmospheric pressure on a standard day at sea level is about 14.7 psi. At my house 7500' altitude its about 11.1 psi. That's about 3.6 psi difference and MASSIVE difference in horse power. If the ram air at say 75 mph can raise the inlet air pressure by only 1 psi that would make a big difference.

Offline 1 wheel peel

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 10:29:18 AM »
Here's an artical about the effects of ram air.
Exactly ;)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
:thumbs: Bingo! It's all about pressure. Atmospheric pressure on a standard day at sea level is about 14.7 psi. At my house 7500' altitude its about 11.1 psi. That's about 3.6 psi difference and MASSIVE difference in horse power. If the ram air at say 75 mph can raise the inlet air pressure by only 1 psi that would make a big difference.

Well after reading the Sport Rider article it looks like 75 mph only raises the inlet air pressure by about .14 psi. So apparently its in the triple digits where it really starts to make a difference.

Offline 1 wheel peel

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
Well after reading the Sport Rider article it looks like 75 mph only raises the inlet air pressure by about .14 psi. So apparently its in the triple digits where it really starts to make a difference.
Triple digits for raising the preasure substantially yes but below that and slow speeds simply pulling air from somewhere other than off the top of a hot engine helps.  Cooler air makes more hp than hot air.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 11:12:42 AM »
Triple digits for raising the preasure substantially yes but below that and slow speeds simply pulling air from somewhere other than off the top of a hot engine helps.  Cooler air makes more hp than hot air.

True! I know a cold air intake made a difference on my son's Neon.

devilboy

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
True! I know a cold air intake made a difference on my son's Neon.
Yup my Hemi has got a  K&N  CAI with a little box around it so that the  throttle body(singular 85 MM) gets the coldest air available...
I had to build the box a little better than stock to keep the nasty hot air from getting to the TB

Offline stewart

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
I've ridden on a mild to cold day, then drop altitude or a dip in the road and the bike wakes up, happens to me all the time in New England.

Nice feeling....or my hand went numb????
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
 Bingo! It's all about pressure. Atmospheric pressure on a standard day at sea level is about 14.7 psi. At my house 7500' altitude its about 11.1 psi. That's about 3.6 psi difference and MASSIVE difference in horse power. If the ram air at say 75 mph can raise the inlet air pressure by only 1 psi that would make a big difference.

This would support the ram air advantage. Perhaps, at high bike speed and high revs we're seeing a slight pressure increase in the throttle body instead of a negative pressure decrease.

Or perhaps it's just my imagination. Either way its an awesome bike!

chrs-mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.