Author Topic: Ram Air  (Read 8758 times)

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
Ram Air
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »
Hello fellow riders:

I went out for a 250 km ride yesterday. The weather was a bit chilly but had an absolute blast. My question is about the ram air. It is spec'd as adding 5 horsepower, but i was amazed at how quickly i accelerated from 120 to 180 kph in overdrive. Does anyone know where that 5 hp number came from? I would suspect that number could change based on speed, headwind and temperature. Five hp doesn't sound like a lot, but i seemed to have a lot of available power. Temp was 7 C, which i think (??) would add hp. Any advice would be welcome.

chrs- mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Ram Air
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »
I went out for a 250 km ride yesterday. The weather was a bit chilly but had an absolute blast. My question is about the ram air. It is spec'd as adding 5 horsepower, but i was amazed at how quickly i accelerated from 120 to 180 kph in overdrive. Does anyone know where that 5 hp number came from? I would suspect that number could change based on speed, headwind and temperature. Five hp doesn't sound like a lot, but i seemed to have a lot of available power. Temp was 7 C, which i think (??) would add hp. Any advice would be welcome.

That is a good question.  I have seen the 5hp number several times, yet I do not really know the source.  I think I saw it on something official from Kawasaki at some point, so I do tend to think it is real.   Physics-wise, I don't think the compression from the ram air effect on such a small intake is all that much, which is why the performance difference is not that much.  The potential pressure will rise with the speed, of course, but the engine will also be using more air in that same gear when going faster.

Generally, nothing amazes me while in overdrive in the Concours :)  6th gear is really a "wet noodle", and the RPM range while using it is typically WAY below the Concours' performance band.... (well, pretty much always at legal speeds).  It is a true overdrive and designed to raise fuel economy and lower engine speed as much as possible to make for the most comfortable cruising option (vibration, noise, friction).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:18:19 PM »
Not being a physicist, I doubt air intake caused by forward momentum of the motorcycle has a higher velocity than the air being sucked in by the intake strokes of the pistons. At best the 'ram air' effect may relieve some negitave pressure in the air box. I'm somewhat sceptical of excessive hp claims.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:40:45 PM »
Dodge?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »
Dodge?
My Dodge get 12 mphmpg no matter how fast the air's getting rammed.
   :) red

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
You must have a black Dodge.  Mine goes faster than 12mph (silver).
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »
Not being a physicist, I doubt air intake caused by forward momentum of the motorcycle has a higher velocity than the air being sucked in by the intake strokes of the pistons. At best the 'ram air' effect may relieve some negitave pressure in the air box. I'm somewhat sceptical of excessive hp claims.

Interesting - I thought the ram air was the "secret spice" of the 1400. Since I'm not a physicist either, you could be right. Have you noticed your bike has more power in cooler temperatures or lower elevations?

No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »
Bet my C14 would have 5 more HP if I changed the air filter. 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
Interesting - I thought the ram air was the "secret spice" of the 1400. Since I'm not a physicist either, you could be right. Have you noticed your bike has more power in cooler temperatures or lower elevations?
I've not had this bike at elevation yet but no difference at temp. All the twins I've had always ran better in cool low humidity weather

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »
Interesting - I thought the ram air was the "secret spice" of the 1400.

Oh no.  The secret spice is that the Concours is using the same engine as the fastest stock street motorcycle, the ZX14.  It is a big, modern engine with 4 cylinders, decent compression, 16 valves, fuel injection, variable valve timing (C-14 only), etc.  The ram-air has almost no place in the overall picture.

One of my more favorite sayings- "there is no replacement for displacement."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »
It's not the ram air forcing more air in to make more HP it is cool dense air that makes a big HP difference , we have to change our ECU settings on our outboard drag boats depending on many factors , many guys have air stations to help us set the ECUs , then we make test passes ,  pull out a spark plug to zero in on the tune for the race.  8)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 07:46:27 PM »
It's not the ram air forcing more air in to make more HP it is cool dense air that makes a big HP difference , we have to change our ECU settings on our outboard drag boats depending on many factors , many guys have air stations to help us set the ECUs , then we make test passes ,  pull out a spark plug to zero in on the tune for the race.  8)

PICS PLEASE!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cuda

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
I'm not a picture kind of
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
My Dodge get 12 mphmpg no matter how fast the air's getting rammed.
   :) red

Sorry about that.  Red is still a slower color (not as bad a black) and evidently likes to drink the suds a bit more than mine.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »
I design and build these as a hobby.... a very $$$ hobby
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »
I just drove home a new to me 2009 Ram diesel 4x4 6 sd. auto, got 18 to 19 mpg at 76 to 80 mph, from Tupelo MS. to naples fl . must have been the air ;)
H&S 5" SS exhaust DPF deletes  egr removed . about 400HP 700 ft lb tq. YEEEEEHAAAA
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »

Madcow

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »
Here's an artical about the effects of ram air.
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9508_ram/viewall.html
Ram Air Test: Part Deux
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/viewall.html

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 06:52:06 AM »
the RAM thingy that this bikes come with, and any well thought out air intake, for that matter, is not designed to increase the speed of the air coming in the cylinders, but the pressure. The intake itself is smaller than the ducts, so the air expands, decreasing its speed and increasing its pressure (Bernoulli effect). It's like a turbo, just milder, and it only works at high speed, since you're converting air speed into air pressure.
Now where's Brian?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:48:54 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »
My Ford diesel gets pretty good mileage but in some conditions it gets great mileage.  I think temps a few degrees above or below freezing and high humidity get more air into the cylinder and/or increases the volume of the air as it is burned.  That's my theory.  Does that same concept transfer over to a gas job? ?
I remember seeing water injection on some big jets and I guess the concept would be the same.  Someone on here probably has first hand knowledge.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09