Author Topic: Trike conversion  (Read 17368 times)

Offline jonathan

Trike conversion
« on: February 26, 2013, 08:14:31 AM »
It can be done..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-1400-gtr-trike-/221193091643?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item338022ba3b

Looking at this again it seems that the muffler has to be moved up to clear the suspension, which means that you lose a side bag.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:19:53 AM by jonathan »

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
Re: Trike conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »
Interesting.....don't likey....
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline chap

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
Not sure why you would turn a performance tourer into a tricycle. But each to his own I guess. I am not sure they will sell many of these kits.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
Not sure why you would turn a performance tourer into a tricycle. But each to his own I guess. I am not sure they will sell many of these kits.

I have a friend who has a CanAm Spider. Due to health concerns, he can't hold up a full size bike on his right side when stopped at a light. He does not like the CanAm at all. I am sure he would love one of these. Anybody know a good place to get a conversion done in the US.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
 :o

Offline ugocon

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »
Why? Just why?
 :loco:
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »
I'm currently looking to do a trike conversion myself but, on a used honda goldwing. Don't think I would want to trike the GTR. Gonna keep that one for short 2 wheeling trips.
  With all the long distance traveling I do I think the goldwing trike would be the most comfortable and best suited trike for me. Since my neck and back injury (which caused me to take an early pension) I will eventually have to move to a trike, and since they are getting more popular, I need to get it done soon before the cost becomes even more expensive then they are now.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:31:56 AM »
 :o Definitely to each his own.

Offline gpete

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »
My wife rides a Spyder and I have driven it too - including on some mountain roads near Banff last year. I'm new to the Connie, and rode a Nomad (cruiser) and SV650S previously. The Spyder is certainly different than a motorcycle.  :D The performance can be improved a bit, but it won't ever keep up with a connie. Coming from a cruiser, one adjustment was to let it rev much higher before shifting. This thing definitely doesn't want you to shift until above 4500 rpm. In this regard it is much more like the smaller SV's twin than the big cruiser's V-twin.

The handling can definitely be improved over stock. Not sure if he has the RT or RS style, but the wife has a 2010 RT and a set of Elka Shocks really improved its handling. Two things that require you to change your approach regarding handling. First, make sure you are not gripping too tight. If you do the DPS (dynamic power steering) will really amplify every slight adjustment you make with your arms and it will feel like it is wallowing back and forth like crazy. Second, in turns, you want to lean your upper body into the turn and push down on the peg with your outside foot. This helps to prevent the feeling that thing wants to throw you off. There are also some sway-bars that can help stiffen the front end. Take a look at the SpyderLovers forum for BajaRon.

2013's are supposed to have much better stock suspension (among a host of other upgrades). Unfortunately, the engine didn't really get any performance or gas mileage improvements.

I have a friend who has a CanAm Spider. Due to health concerns, he can't hold up a full size bike on his right side when stopped at a light. He does not like the CanAm at all. I am sure he would love one of these. Anybody know a good place to get a conversion done in the US.
2012 Arabian Red

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:08:40 PM »
I think I'd go with a hack first.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »

+1, I think that is a horrible idea.  There are far cheaper bikes to use for such an abomination.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
No opinion on that one, eh Max?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Yep, that's ugly. If I had a love affair with My Connie, and wasn't able to ride 2 wheels anymore, I'd definitely go with the high performance side hack I saw posted once, before I'd do this trike conversion. That side hack conversion also did away with the front suspension that is designed for a linear load, and not a lateral one. That sidecar setup also looked way better.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »
Not me.  I'd go with a nice convertible.  Rode a trike many years ago when I was 3-5 or so.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »
Not me.  I'd go with a nice convertible.  Rode a trike many years ago when I was 3-5 or so.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
;D
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
Just because you can does not mean you should.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »

+1 A new Miata will cost less then most trike conversions. May not have as much in a straight line but will handle MUCH better. If and only if I can no longer handle 2 wheels.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Just because you can does not mean you should.

No truer words for this monstrosity.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »
Not me.  I'd go with a nice convertible. 

+2...

Rode a trike many years ago when I was 3-5 or so.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

:rotflmao:

Post up a pic of you in that t-shirt Sparky for us!  ;D

Hopefully it's not wet...  :o

Offline koval68

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
Wow, that's one "fugly" trike! Thanks, but no thanks! :o
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi