Author Topic: Trike conversion  (Read 17369 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Trike conversion
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 06:43:12 AM »

Looking at this again it seems that the muffler has to be moved up to clear the suspension, which means that you lose a side bag.

At least with a can-am one doesn't get lopsided as a result of a missing side bag?  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:14 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^ZG would paint this GREEN
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jonathan

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »
You mean like this:

http://youtu.be/xtE_T7_9ovQ

This is why the Spyder and the Morgan have 2 wheels at the front.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »
This is why the Spyder and the Morgan have 2 wheels at the front.

:thumbs: Exactly! Traditional trikes with the 2 wheels at the rear are a bad idea.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
I don't know...worked for me in the past.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
At least with a can-am one doesn't get lopsided as a result of a missing side bag?  :D

That tater launcher on the right MORE than makes up for it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
:thumbs: Exactly! Traditional trikes with the 2 wheels at the rear are a bad idea.

+1 exactly.  Although even with 2 up front, 3 is still more unstable than 4.  It is just less of a death trap.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »
+1 exactly.  Although even with 2 up front, 3 is still more unstable than 4.  It is just less of a death trap.
Is that like being less pregnant?

Offline koval68

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »
A three wheeler is the worst possible configuration.  It has none of the advantages of a car or bike, with all the disadvantages of both.  Since it can't lean, it is far more unstable than a car.  Yet it is not light or maneuverable like a bike and is less safe.
I think if you had a chance to drive a T-Rex, you would quickly change your mind! I drove one, and hate to say this, but you're wrong my friend!  ;)
http://youtu.be/LOsYo9Sv43E
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
I think if you had a chance to drive a T-Rex, you would quickly change your mind! I drove one, and hate to say this, but you're wrong my friend!  ;)

Nah, I will keep my faith in physics.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 07:54:58 PM »
And my faith in chemistry...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »
That tater launcher on the right MORE than makes up for it.

Wonder if CanAm buys their potato launchers from the guys who chuck them from here? :grouphug:
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 04:51:15 AM »
Trikes are popular over here but mostly for disabled riders.
There is a big trike club near me in Southend on Sea and many NABD members ride trikes.

Other than that I have never seen the point.
You get all the disadvantages of the bike (cold, wet, limited carrying capacity) with all the disadvantages of the car (slower, cannot lanesplit, less fun, won't lean).
Yes trikes and sidecars have their own kinds of fun, but they only work on empty roads.

I've ridden C10 based trikes and sidecar outfits and I would prefer the trike of the two, but would by FAR prefer the bike.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »

No doubt the T-Rex makes the most of a 3 wheel vehicle that will out corner many 4 wheeled vehicles just because it is soooo low to the ground. But still is not going to be as stable in cornering with 4 wheels of similar design such as an Arial Atom or an F1 car for that matter.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

I totally agree....
when the time comes that I can't ride 2 wheels, it will definatly be on my bucket list of vehicals to own...I've been toying with building a ZX14 based low vehical ever since I saw a Rex.

a few years back, Momma and I had one come up behind us in Ga., when we were leaving RWTW....It was raining.....as usual, and when I some him closing in fast in my mirror, I slowed up to see it, waved him alongside for a look, and told him i wanted to follow him a ways....he obliged.

Now, mind you this was not on a highway, it was on WOLFPEN GAP ROAD.....out of Suches Ga.
This road is every bit as techniocal, if not moreso, than "the Dragon", and though patrolled, you seldom see a cop there....which means you have 12 miles of fun.....
I had a difficult time keeping up with him in the turns, riding 2 up and loaded with gear, but on the straights (which are minimal) I could ride his rear easily....just saying that would be as much fun as you could have on 3 wheels....not a slouch in the  ;) least

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_State_Route_180
this is about half of the east/north end....some of the best rollers aren't even on this.... travelling towards Suches.
http://youtu.be/f_NaVf3NahU

This is travelling the opposite way from Vogel back to 129, the reverse of the last Vid.
http://youtu.be/hkGeqvfsZTs

holey Moley.....when I was looking for the above vids, i found this....
Low and Behold...I believe this might have been the same dude....
http://youtu.be/XGgJKfIzyOQ

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..