Author Topic: 2013 Comparo  (Read 10731 times)

Offline Frank ZZR

2013 Comparo
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Son of Pappy

Re: 2013 Comparo
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
With the surveys being turned in I really do wonder HITH mama kaw ignores the obvious?  Tires being the easiest and most notable and I'd bet a simple fix for the linked brakes, maybe an option to unlink?  The top gear roll on???  Really?  Do they handicap first gear roll on?  No mention there, eh?  FJR= Five gear Junior Riders ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »
Kawi dogged for "peaky" performance was funny as all get-out

But its true the Honda and FJR have 2013 technology and the C14 has 2010.  And I agree the 205 mile range of the Connie blows, its been my biggest complaint of the hole bike. And yeah the linked brakes are %^#$ in the aggressive setting.

I'm a Honda fan, but of those 3 bikes I'd still purchase the Connie14.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:59:40 PM »
Side note: The Euro bikes of late are killing the japs.  Watch the Triumph Trophy and what it brings to the table at a decent price, I suspect it will be a hot seller for '13.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
Yeah, I'd still buy my 1st-gen non-ABS C-14 over either of the current offerings from Honda or Yamaha.  Peaky power?  Seriously?  Did they look at the friggin dyno chart?   The Yamaha gets kudos for best motor, but only has 3hp over last year's model?  Still gets beaten out past 7k rpms, and with 6 gears you can stay in the sweet spot much more easily than the Yami or Honda... Retards.

As for Mama Kawi fixing the quibbles they had: Put a damn 55-series tire on the bike, either in 180-series GT form, or 190-55... take your pick.  The linked brakes need to go.  I wonder if some hydraulic re-routing would solve the problem?  It'd take some figuring out, but I'm pretty sure there should be a way to get that done...

A slightly larger fuel tank, cruise control, delinked brakes, and a 55-series tire... Kawi? Are you listening?
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »
Yeah, I'd still buy my 1st-gen non-ABS C-14 over either of the current offerings from Honda or Yamaha.  Peaky power?  Seriously?  Did they look at the friggin dyno chart?   The Yamaha gets kudos for best motor, but only has 3hp over last year's model?  Still gets beaten out past 7k rpms, and with 6 gears you can stay in the sweet spot much more easily than the Yami or Honda... Retards.

As for Mama Kawi fixing the quibbles they had: Put a damn 55-series tire on the bike, either in 180-series GT form, or 190-55... take your pick.  The linked brakes need to go.  I wonder if some hydraulic re-routing would solve the problem?  It'd take some figuring out, but I'm pretty sure there should be a way to get that done...

A slightly larger fuel tank, cruise control, delinked brakes, and a 55-series tire... Kawi? Are you listening?

Offline wrichstrom

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
I have had a 2006 ST 1300 which was nearly unbearable in 95+ F weather due to engine heat coming through the seat and from the heads to your shins/thighs.

I have had a 2007 FJR which was great and unlike a lot of people I though the 5 gears made great sense.  It was a great bike which I unfortunately traded in for a lemon of a bike 2009 FJR 1300 AE auto-clutch that the dealer wouldn't listen to me about how poorly it shifted.  Shame on Yamaha customer service.

I was able to trade in the AE' for a Concours.  It honestly is the smoothest of the three (sorry ST1300 owners) it doesn't have the heat of the ST1300 (Gen II FJR was slightly better at heat management) and when the suspension is set up it is actually more "flickable".  I believe it does lack behind the brake linking and sophistication of the FJR and potentially the ST1300.  I don't know about "peaky" power.  Any of these three bikes has so much extra torque you can lug them along and do just fine.  The fuel injection of the Concours Gen II is better than any of these three bikes.  The Connie may not have the range of the others but with good planning 200 miles or so gets me where I need to get to.

But of the three great motorcycles the C-14 is the best of them all for me.

Of course this comparo article and my opinions are worth nothing for others.  Everyone is different and has to find out what is best for them.

WRichStrom
2012 C-14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
I have had a 2006 ST 1300 which was nearly unbearable in 95+ F weather due to engine heat coming through the seat and from the heads to your shins/thighs.

I have had a 2007 FJR which was great and unlike a lot of people I though the 5 gears made great sense.  It was a great bike which I unfortunately traded in for a lemon of a bike 2009 FJR 1300 AE auto-clutch that the dealer wouldn't listen to me about how poorly it shifted.  Shame on Yamaha customer service.

I was able to trade in the AE' for a Concours.  It honestly is the smoothest of the three (sorry ST1300 owners) it doesn't have the heat of the ST1300 (Gen II FJR was slightly better at heat management) and when the suspension is set up it is actually more "flickable".  I believe it does lack behind the brake linking and sophistication of the FJR and potentially the ST1300.  I don't know about "peaky" power.  Any of these three bikes has so much extra torque you can lug them along and do just fine.  The fuel injection of the Concours Gen II is better than any of these three bikes.  The Connie may not have the range of the others but with good planning 200 miles or so gets me where I need to get to.

But of the three great motorcycles the C-14 is the best of them all for me.

Of course this comparo article and my opinions are worth nothing for others.  Everyone is different and has to find out what is best for them.

WRichStrom

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
Not sure if this has been seen yet..........

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-sporttouring-shootout-10-video-91504.html

Thanks for posting Frank, I hadn't seen it and enjoyed watching it!  :chugbeer:

I agree with the comments on cruise control, fuel tank size, and linked brakes.  :thumbs:

Offline jayke

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 06:33:14 AM »
Went with the best........so I ordered a '13 FJR ::)

Should be here next month.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »
Unfortunately the test confirmed that the Connie is thirsty!  :(
All other comments just confirm that I made the right choice... ;)
I feel more and more comfortable with this bike day after day.
I don't know for how long I'll keep the C14, but I won't change it for a FJR or an ST for sure!
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42:07 AM »
What the article does NOT mention is that Yamaha does not recommend the use of a top box due to the lack of strength in the rear sub frame. What use is a sport TOURER if you can't put a top box on!!   
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline jonathan

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »
What the article does NOT mention is that Yamaha does not recommend the use of a top box due to the lack of strength in the rear sub frame. What use is a sport TOURER if you can't put a top box on!!   

I don't use a top box. I hate how they make the bike look; kind of like the Clampets go riding. All you need to pack is a toothbrush and a gold card.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »

+1  ;)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline NuckaMan

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »
That was a good vid.

Funny, I was just there at Death Valley myself a couple weekends ago with my Connie.

I agree with the opinions....especially about the fuel range. I was on FUMES rolling to Beatty, NV. I missed a gas-stop in the park and was at 199 on the ODO since my last gas-stop. Not sure if putting it in ECO mode in the last 30 miles saved my bacon.

A buddy of mine has a 2nd Gen FJR, ridden it on a numerous occasions....I will say, the Yamaha does a better job hiding it's weight than the Connie. And he is comfortably hitting 240 per tank, while I'm looking to pull over by 180, sweating by 190. Overall, I do feel the Connie offers a pretty damn good package for the money.

Once dealers get flexible on the price with a 3rd Gen FJR....it would make a tough call between the Connie and FJR.

Bikes aside, wherever you are in the country....Death Valley is worth a visit sometime in your lifetime. Just don't do it in the summer....unless you are gluten for punishment.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »
Yeah, no shockers in that article.

55 rear is my next purchase... I want off the bike for a walk and beverage well before 200 miles (and plan my rides accordingly), and since I usually tour this bike I do better than the rated MPGs... Since I don't carve with this bike all that much, the linked brakes don't phase me a whole lot (but it does reduce how often I trail brake when I DO carve)... 

With the new FJR, and the upcoming Trophy, we'll be seeing more of these comparos come out. Peace of mind knowing that she was the best when I bought her, and still NO regrets that she's in my garage (other than the black wheels on the newer ones).

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline AZBob

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 01:52:51 PM »
But its true the Honda and FJR have 2013 technology and the C14 has 2010.

The Honda is 2003 technology. Been waiting FOREVER for that bike to be updated. It's not available this year, so maybe they're updating it for 2014 (or at least coming out with a touring version of the VFR). I'm guessing the 2014 model year will be a good year for sport tourers, with the recent survey's for the Concours and this bit on the Honda. With the FJR already being updated and the Trophy having been introduced and the BMW K1600 GT a couple years ago, there should be some good across-the-board competition soon.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
... the Trophy having been introduced and the BMW K1600 GT a couple years ago, ...

If some of what I have read so far is true (and I haven't read anything in a few months), the Trophy will be in the price range of the BMW, and therefore in a higher cost bracket than the other 3. That will be a factor for a lot of people, keeping the C14, ST and FJR in competition with eachother, and the Trophy and BMW going after those with more financial means.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline NuckaMan

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
I’m certain someone will do a full-on Sport Touring Shootout, which would make a interesting read….but to be fair, they would HAVE to keep $$$$ in perspective.

We are talking significant amount of money (for most mortals) when comparing the difference between something like the Connie to a BMW K1600 or the new Tri Trophy. I’ve test ridden a K1600….it’s simply an amazing motorcycle, but the 6K-7K cost difference is significant enough that I can own my Connie without any regrets or second thoughts.

If money were no object, I would be taking a risk and trying out that new Motus Sport Touring that is coming out. Yes, it’s 30K, unproven, unknown….but that motor sounds so bad ass (from the promo vids), it’s hard to resist.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
If money were no object, I would be taking a risk and trying out that new Motus Sport Touring that is coming out. Yes, it’s 30K, unproven, unknown….but that motor sounds so bad ass (from the promo vids), it’s hard to resist.

+1... I want to see that Motus in person.
2011 Concours 14 ABS