Author Topic: 2013 Comparo  (Read 10732 times)

Offline katata1100

Re: 2013 Comparo
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »
I agree about the lack of low end power on the C14, has the kind of low end that only a two stroke could be envious of. They said it felt like ti had a light flywheel, I think it needs the flies to open sooner.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
I agree about the lack of low end power on the C14, has the kind of low end that only a two stroke could be envious of. They said it felt like ti had a light flywheel, I think it needs the flies to open sooner.

Just pull em.  :)

Offline katata1100

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »

Just pull em.  :)

Easier said than done. I have a '11 and like the smoothness of the TC the way it is, don't want to lose that. I don't want a mickey mouse add on box, I want a reflash but there are only a couple that can do that and they are 1000's of miles away.
I don't feel comfortable spending $400 on a reflash without time on a dyno.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »
Easier said than done. I have a '11 and like the smoothness of the TC the way it is, don't want to lose that. I don't want a mickey mouse add on box, I want a reflash but there are only a couple that can do that and they are 1000's of miles away. I don't feel comfortable spending $400 on a reflash without time on a dyno.

And I think all your points and concerns are valid.

The Concours can easily "eat" the ancient Honda in just about every way and should be able eat the brand new Yamaha, in most ways too.  But it is a shame that Kawasaki didn't make the secondary butterflies and linked brakes adjustable with a simple menu controls.  As far as I know, this could be done, easily, and without a single hardware change at all.

The funny thing is that Kawasaki could make some minor hardware changes and end up right back at previous "miles above" the other two again:  add cruise, add a gal to the tank, change headlights to projector HID, add profiles for the FI/Flies/brakes, change all bulbs to LED.  Wham; not even a single change to the engine, trans, drive, physical brakes, controls, frame, FI, suspension, or main bodywork.  Throw in adjustable bars or something just to spite the others.  All quite possible in the next revision of the Concours.  But it speaks volumes that the C-14, a 2008 release, is still extremely competitive even with a newly designed 2013 Yamaha....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
And I think all your points and concerns are valid.

The Concours can easily "eat" the ancient Honda in just about every way and should be able eat the brand new Yamaha, in most ways too.  But it is a shame that Kawasaki didn't make the secondary butterflies and linked brakes adjustable with a simple menu controls.  As far as I know, this could be done, easily, and without a single hardware change at all.

I would have liked to see something like a dual mode power scheme where mode one is eco mode and opens the flies late like now and mode two is power mode where flies open early and the bike has more power at the expense of a little less fuel.I guess you can say we have something close to that now, but I'd want it more defined.
Another thing that they could have done that would cost nothing in parts would be altitude display mode on the dash. I do a lot of driving up and around the mountains and would be nice to know the altitude I am at, especially if the weather report says "Snow level 7000'". Since the bike already had a barometric sensor, this should be easy. And don't laugh, I keep a close eye on the outside temperature number when it is raining- last fall, I was driving in 36 degree rain in WY, if it dropped lower, I'd seek a motel.Heck, they could even add a weather icon if they wanted.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »
And don't laugh, I keep a close eye on the outside temperature number when it is raining- last fall, I was driving in 36 degree rain in WY, if it dropped lower, I'd seek a motel.Heck, they could even add a weather icon if they wanted.

Oh, I am not laughing.  When I take off, the display is on tire pressure.  Then I will shift it to outside temp and that is what it stays on as the "normal" screen for me.  I think having a barometric pressure and/or altitude would be fine.  I just wish the bike would allow more info to be displayed at the same time.  I think it is silly I can't look at temp AND tire pressure AND some other stuff at the same time... the screen is certainly large enough, and it has the resolution.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline marku8a

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
Yeah, no shockers in that article.

55 rear is my next purchase...

I did the PR2 55 rear install a couple of weeks ago. It turned (no pun intended) the bike into I was expecting in the first place. I wish I wasn't such a cheap bastard and should have done this before putting 3K miles on the original tires. I know that this has been discussed many many times before but I just wanted to add another testimonial. Just do it!!

Next up is the cruise control install.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 11:26:47 PM »
I did the PR2 55 rear install a couple of weeks ago. It turned (no pun intended) the bike into I was expecting in the first place. I wish I wasn't such a cheap bastard and should have done this before putting 3K miles on the original tires. I know that this has been discussed many many times before but I just wanted to add another testimonial. Just do it!!

I would imagine dropping the front a bit would have the same effect, though.  In my case, I can't do either, because every mm lower is important and I already have it as low as I think is probably safe.

Next up is the cruise control install.

Some day I might get around to doing something like that.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 05:48:48 AM »
Went with the best........so I ordered a '13 FJR ::)

Should be here next month.

:battle: Good luck with it!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline AZBob

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Since the bike already had a barometric sensor, this should be easy. And don't laugh, I keep a close eye on the outside temperature number when it is raining- last fall, I was driving in 36 degree rain in WY, if it dropped lower, I'd seek a motel.Heck, they could even add a weather icon if they wanted.

Altitude via barometric pressure isn't very accurate, especially if a storm is moving in or out. Perhaps get a GPS? It can give you altitude within a couple of feet (assuming it can lock three satellites) and is unaffected by weather.

My Volkswagen Touareg had an icing warning that showed up as a snowflake on the dash MFD if the outside temperature dropped below 42 degrees F.

I agree with what others have said regarding the Concours: nothing major has to change: keep the frame, engine, basic styling; just add throttle-by-wire, electronic cruise control, fix the linked brakes, add selectable riding mode (I'm kind of meh on this one), a heated seat (!), power outlet or two, fix the dash display a bit (e.g. larger with more info), make the gas tank about 1.5 gallons larger, and for shits and giggles, add a fully electronically adjustable suspension as a $2.5k OPTION to compete with the BMW's of the world (I would get it).

Offline katata1100

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
Altitude via barometric pressure isn't very accurate, especially if a storm is moving in or out. Perhaps get a GPS? It can give you altitude within a couple of feet (assuming it can lock three satellites) and is unaffected by weather.

They are one and the same. Proper adjustment is the key.
I don't know what you mean by "very accurate". My BAC watches (they tell the weather and altitude) are never off by more than 3%. The only time you need very accurate altitude is when sky diving and then, even with a dedicated altitude device, you calibrate on the ground.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
I think we can all agree Momma Kaw needs to update her Sport Tourer. We need a longer cruising range, cruise control, and a better functioning linked brake system (why this one is so intrusive is crazy - it's like Kawasaki configured the Linked ABS to only work in a straight line).

Now, saying that doesn't mean I'm going to plunk down more cash on a 2014 or 2015. I plan on having this bike for a long while. I didn't buy her to get rid of her in a couple of years. It would be great if factory cruise control could be retrofitted to our bikes. But that's a dream. They'll probably go throttle by wire, and screw that possibility up for us.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:19 PM »
I absolutely agree with them on the C14's linked brakes...horrible! My 2003 VFR had linked brakes and were waaaaay better. And yeah another gal of gas would be nice, not to mention factory cruise control. I checked out the 2013 FJR at the Cycle World Bike show in Cleveland this past weekend and i must say looks very nice in person....
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 05:57:36 AM »
I'll admit to getting a little giddy at the thought of the Triumph. Then they told me it only had 111HP. What were they thinking?

I will Guhl reflash my ECU and add Cruize to my 2011 and be good I think. With all of my other mods I should be good for a long time.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 07:12:05 AM »
The top gear roll-on test is a test that needs to go away.   Kawasaki purposely gave the c14 a high 6th gear for comfort on a freeway.  Something a big, touring type motorcycle needs.  You might choose to drop a gear when passing three semi's.   So far, so good.

The drawback to this high gear ratio is the bike gets destroyed in tests.  The c14 is loafing along in 6th gear at 3000 rpms instead of being up near 5000 where it starts to make great power.  My Ninja 1000 will test very well in thsi roll on test since its screaming (comparatively) at 5000 rpm at 60 mph.   The Ninja does have 6 gears, but the feeling is more line 1-2-3-4-4a-4b...but it does test very well.

Close ratio gears are great on a 125 two stroke.  Silly on a street bike.  Sure, you can change the gearing on the Ninja, but its probably impossible, or cost prohibitive, to ever be able to move 4-5-6 apart for a nice freeway ride.

Offline AZBob

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
They are one and the same. Proper adjustment is the key.

I'm not sure what you mean... the GPS measures altitude via a 3D satellite fix and is accurate to within ~75 feet; it doesn't use a barometric pressure instrument, is unaffected by local high and low pressures induced by weather, and doesn't need to be manually calibrated by the user.

Offline AZBob

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »
The top gear roll-on test is a test that needs to go away.

Agree, it's silly. Artificially hamstringing a vehicle in a test is kind of, not-so-smart. I don't understand why they don't just pick a similar ratio gear for all the bikes and roll-on in that gear. With the sweet, sweet shifting of the Concours gear box, it's not like dropping three gears very quickly is even a problem.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
I finally sat down to watch the comparison. I agree that the linked brakes need work. And an off switch.
The Yamaha is as stylish as the C-14, not more. Great brakes and cruise control go a long way.
The Honda is too old. Too outdated to even show up in the ring with these Sport-tourers.
The prices given aren't accurate either. I don't believe anyone on this forum is paying sticker for the C-14s. Not even close.
Bottom line-- I just bought my 3rd C-14 in a row.
Joel from Maine.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
I like the comparison tests, but I'm not sure the results mean much.  No matter if our bike takes first or last.   My Ninja came with tires that ruined the handling of the bike.  My C14 already had good tires, but from the sounds of things, it too would be better off riding on the bare rims than the stock tires.

With a 190/55 and the butterflies removed, the c14 does not do much like a stock bike.  I know they rarely mod the bikes, but when something is so drastically changed, for little money, maybe they should???   Same for the other bikes.  If they have small, easily corrected flaws it would more represent what an average owner might change or modify.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »
The top gear roll-on test is a test that needs to go away.   Kawasaki purposely gave the c14 a high 6th gear for comfort on a freeway.  Something a big, touring type motorcycle needs.  You might choose to drop a gear when passing three semi's.   So far, so good.

I couldn't agree more.  It is a stupid test that needs to go away.  Or they should define "top gear" as the highest gear that is NOT designated as an over-drive.