Author Topic: Installed a New Exhaust Yesterday  (Read 13397 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Installed a New Exhaust Yesterday
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »

:goodpost:

Not really.  And you, for one, SHOULD give a "rats ass", because you really *DID* replace the exhaust, and not just the muffler.  There is a huge difference.  One costs a lot of money and actually affects performance.  The other just makes more noise and CHANGES the look (not necessarily improves it :) ).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »
Hmmm, seems that discription above fits one member very well.   ;)

Hey- I resemble that remark....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
Not really.  And you, for one, SHOULD give a "rats ass", because you really *DID* replace the exhaust, and not just the muffler.  There is a huge difference.  One costs a lot of money and actually affects performance.  The other just makes more noise and CHANGES the look (not necessarily improves it :) ).

Lets go do a dyno between our bikes and findout, or maybe I will go do one just to prove you are not 100% accurate? There are good, better and best when it comes to slip ons and systems, and no not all are loud screaming race exhausts. The stock unit is in fact hideous, Kawasaki needs to do much better, lighter "and smaller" for a bike this nice.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 04:50:07 PM »

Lets go do a dyno between our bikes and findout, or maybe I will go do one just to prove you are not 100% accurate? There are good, better and best when it comes to slip ons and systems, and no not all are loud screaming race exhausts. The stock unit is in fact hideous, Kawasaki needs to do much better, lighter "and smaller" for a bike this nice.

:yikes:           :stirpot:                                 :popcorn: :popcorn:   I will watch this one from the sidelines.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »
Lets go do a dyno between our bikes and findout, or maybe I will go do one just to prove you are not 100% accurate?

With the ONLY change being the muffler?  If there was more than a 0.5% difference in HP, I would be surprised.  And tests would have to be on the SAME bike, because I estimate the difference (if any) to be below the range of statistical significance between bikes or even between dyno runs.

There are good, better and best when it comes to slip ons and systems, and no not all are loud screaming race exhausts. The stock unit is in fact hideous, Kawasaki needs to do much better, lighter "and smaller" for a bike this nice.

Oh, I know not all are screaming, I am just being contrary.  There is no question it is big; with the bags on I think it looks fine to me, and I will never have the bags off.  Weight- well, it is not light, but overall I don't think it matters that much.  For example, I weigh only 150 lbs myself, so my bike is already at least 25 pounds lighter than average riding condition (perhaps that is even too low an estimate)  ;)  I know every bit adds up, but most of us are not on the track where 10 or 12 pounds might actually matter.  I will take the 0.001 second penalty.

Now, if I could lose 10 pounds of fat on my stomach and sides (and keep it off)- THAT would be worth many times the price of a muffler!!!   :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »
Hey- I resemble that remark....

We have a winner!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline danl

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 06:25:55 AM »
Does anyone know why my fuel economy went down 4mpg since I installed the muffler? :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »
Does anyone know why my fuel economy went down 4mpg since I installed the muffler? :)

Too much wristus twistus.   :)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 06:40:40 AM »
Too much wristus twistus.   :)

+1

Changing the muffler should not affect MPG (in any statistically relevant way).  It is far more likely you are having a heavier throttle hand lately.

Offline danl

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »
I know... my wrist was directly connected to the new found sound coming from the bike. :) I imagine that will last for another tank or 2 and then I'll be back to normal.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 06:49:54 AM »
pe·dan·tic
 adjective \pi-ˈdan-tik\

Definition of PEDANTIC
1 : of, relating to, or being a pedant(see pedant)

2 : narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

3 : unimaginative, pedestrian

1-2-or 3 Max?

Thank you!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 07:04:08 AM »
You know these smart guys. They either try to dazzle us with brilliance or baffle us with bullsh!t.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 07:09:13 AM »
You know these smart guys. They either try to dazzle us with brilliance or baffle us with bullsh!t.

Sometimes both

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »

Sometimes both

Hopefully you are directing your comments to someone else.  As you can see, above, I was the one that called myself pedantic and then followed up with which definition ("a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details. ")  (And I do tend to get stuck on details, but in my line of work, that is important; and in technical communications it is vital).

I am very quick to admit when I don't know something or was wrong and don't believe I ever try to dazzle anyone.  I am far more interested in group-think coming up with "truths" and good info to share.   That is one reason I really love these forums; there are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge and viewpoints and when we pool it together, it seems there is no problem that can't be explained or solved.  Sometimes there are disagreements, but it is always civil, and the dissent still ends up making a more informative and useful thread.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »
Above all else I value humor and smarta** remarks.  Makes life worth living.  Can't stand being serious...just ruins my day... :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 08:32:25 AM »
Above all else I value humor and smarta** remarks.  Makes life worth living.  Can't stand being serious...just ruins my day... :'(

If you haven't guessed by now, I somehow always end up being the "straight man".  Although generally far too serious, I value and can dish out humor with the best of them.... just takes a bit more effort :)

Oh, and when it does come, ya never see it coming....

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
With the ONLY change being the muffler?  If there was more than a 0.5% difference in HP, I would be surprised.  And tests would have to be on the SAME bike, because I estimate the difference (if any) to be below the range of statistical significance between bikes or even between dyno runs.
There is a very good article in the December issue of Motorcyclist magazine regarding the Two Brothers slipon and the use of the Power Tips to reduce the sound. It also talks about how the tips affect the power on a ZX-14R.

There are interesting differences between the HP level with the unrestricted Two Brothers muffler and the P1X (most restrictive/quietest) Powertip and the P1 (least restrictive) Powertip. The HP was actually 1.3 bhp higher with the P1 tip over the non-tipped muffler.

Although they don't provide the HP gain by adding the slip-on, they do give the differences between un-restricted slip-on and the HP with the two different Powertips.

Unrestricted: baseline for tip comparison
P1 tip: +1.3 bhp, -2.7 dB @ 5,000 rpm (highway speed)
P1X tip: -2.7 bhp, -4.5 dB @ 5,000 rpm
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
If you haven't guessed by now, I somehow always end up being the "straight man".  Although generally far too serious, I value and can dish out humor with the best of them.... just takes a bit more effort :)

Oh, and when it does come, ya never see it coming....

;D Can't wait!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
Within a month I'm having my bike dynoed, with and with out the P1X restrictors , I also have a  flashed ECU, ZX headers with  cats removed . When we Installed the restrictors six 1/4 inch holes were drilled in each P1X  but was loud so I filled all twelve  1/4 inch holes with red RTV, since the holes are there already I'll try a 1/8 inch drill while on the dyno to see the  differance in HP and sound. 
I don't want Max MAD with me . MAD MAX is one bad ass dude.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c4TdPxOXuYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:04:13 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »
After:
http://youtu.be/q6U_IKFoeTs
[/quote]

Original Saund modificazion
http://youtu.be/VLR8VV4I2_0

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!