Author Topic: Installed a New Exhaust Yesterday  (Read 13597 times)

Offline danl

Installed a New Exhaust Yesterday
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:49:43 AM »
After a lot of reading and listening to sound clips, I pulled the trigger on a Two Brothers carbon fiber slip on from Leclare PS.  Here's the awesome thing- I ordered it on Tuesday, it arrived at my door Wednesday afternoon, with free shipping!

The removal of the old pipe wasn't much of a problem, even the rubber center stand bumper, just put some dish soap on it. The install of the new pipe was a breeze. I had to remove the rear bag guard to get to the potato launcher mount bolt, but that was no problem. The weight difference is amazing. The TBR might weigh 10lbs.

I really like the sound. Yes, its a good bit louder, but at idle and cruising speed, it's not bad. Wind it up to 8k, it screams. I think it gives the bike the "yes, I'm a high tech machine" sound. It reminds me of the 2:1 pipe my wife had on her late Vulcan, it had a nice rumble at idle, wasn't too loud at cruising speed, but when you got on it, you heard it well.

I posted a couple videos on youtube, a before and an after.

Before:

http://youtu.be/bsPGloSz0xA

After:
http://youtu.be/q6U_IKFoeTs

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
Re: Installed a New Exhaust Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:17 AM »
Nice...
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »
the bike looks 1000% better also.......
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline CMH GUY

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »
SWEET, I like it!! 
Canal Winchester, Ohio

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:42:59 AM »
the bike looks 1000% better also.......
+1 and now she even sounds like a SPORT touring bike.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
Hopefully the droning noise at cruising RPM's wont drive you nuts, the 2 Bros are known for that. Does look much better though, of course anything looks better than the cannon.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
Just noticed the extra reflectors on the bags and rear fender. Pretty trick. Where'd you get them?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
Turn your idle speed up a tad bit, sounds kind of low in the vid.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
Re: Installed a New Exhaust Yesterday [...] slip on from Leclare PS. 

Trying not to be too pedantic, but I think you mean "muffler", not "exhaust."  You did not install a new exhaust [system].   ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »
Trying not to be too pedantic, but I think you mean "muffler", not "exhaust."  You did not install a new exhaust [system].   ;)

How's that workin out for you Max?    :-X
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »
How's that workin out for you Max?    :-X

Not terribly well.  I love to torture myself.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

pe·dan·tic
 adjective \pi-ˈdan-tik\

Definition of PEDANTIC
1 : of, relating to, or being a pedant(see pedant)

2 : narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

3 : unimaginative, pedestrian

1-2-or 3 Max?

Offline danl

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
lol Max. I'll do a universal edit right here and say "muffler" preempts "exhaust" on any and all posts! :)

Pokey, I'm at 1250 idle and it jumps up around 1500 on Eco mode. Not sure why it was wavering on the clip, but I did notice it while I was recording. The engine was cold and the idle tends to drift a bit til it gets going so I didn't think much of it.

I've put 150 miles or so on it since yesterday and I'm enjoying the sound. I haven't found the 60mph 5th or 6th gear sound to be droning, but I haven't done more than 30-40 minutes that way yet. I doubt it ill be a bummer on a long ride, no worse than my Vulcan was. But I tell you what, 7k in 2nd/3rd sounds pretty sweet with this pipe!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »
pe·dan·tic
 adjective \pi-ˈdan-tik\

Definition of PEDANTIC
1 : of, relating to, or being a pedant(see pedant)

2 : narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

3 : unimaginative, pedestrian

1-2-or 3 Max?

Number 1 with definition of that #2:  "a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details. "

Although I do think there is a huge difference between replacing the exhaust (which is at least four major parts- header/collector, catalytic convertor, exhaust piping, and muffler) compared to just a muffler/silencer.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 02:14:07 AM »
@Maxtog: I agree with your definition. I fall in it too. I have to admit that when you first mentioned the muffler/exhaust difference in this thread (you've pointed it out elsewhere as well) I rolled my eyes, but as a mechanical engineer and just for the sake of "correctness" (is there such a word?) accuracy, I fully agree with you. It'd be nice if we call things by their name so we all know what we are talking about.

@Tom V: never, ever change your avatar!!! PLEASE!!!  :popcorn:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline danl

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 06:40:54 AM »
Just noticed the extra reflectors on the bags and rear fender. Pretty trick. Where'd you get them?

Wally, sorry, I meant to reply to you. I got those at Pep Boys. They are segmented so they bend, which lets it work on the rear fender. I like the looks of them better than a standard big red reflector too. I think they were around 3 bucks for a pair. Pep Boys is the only place I can find them around here, none of the other 2 auto places carry them and none of the Lowe's/Walmart/Home Depot places have them either.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
Slip on muffler, slip on exhaust........who gives a rats ass?  ::)   And to those of you that like the OEM cannon/boat anchor, good for you.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
Slip on muffler, slip on exhaust........who gives a rats ass?  ::)   And to those of you that like the OEM cannon/boat anchor, good for you.

:goodpost:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 12:49:22 PM »

Hmmm, seems that discription above fits one member very well.   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
  :popcorn: