Author Topic: ProjeKt D LED mirror turn signals installation and review  (Read 37433 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: ProjeKt D LED mirror turn signals installation and review
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 01:24:35 PM »
The good news:  The right side is working and I really like it.  Haven't taken it out on the road yet, though, to check the visibility.

The bad news:  Started taking apart the left side and can't get the nut off the most inward stud.  The nut and stud are spinning.....not good....in fact, bad.

So, I'm planning a trip to Ohio to cheer up Poke this weekend, after his surgery...actually more like torment him a bit, and I'm probably going to:

Beatles- Let It Be

The only way I can think of to remove the mirror assembly is to get a reciprocating saw and cut the bloody thing off and replace it with either a used or new one.  Any thoughts?

I could use the alternate method but I'm going to have to replace that mirror and don't want to stick on the ProjeKt D kit and then have to pry it off.  Sometimes glue don't like that.

Why do I feel like Haroldo?

Update:  I decided to tighten things back up and then I tried it again.  Don't know but it came off.  Could have been WD40 and resting a bit that did it.  I could see where the stud came unscrewed so I tightened it up again.  Continuing on the left side...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:05:16 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
I decided to wait on the signal until I took this weekend ride in the Sierras. Well now it will have to wait since I clipped a deer at speed and now the insurance company and my mechanic will have to figure it out. took out the left headlamp, sidebag and some plastic. On the plus side the Mcenteprise bar got bent back 45 degrees in the act of protecting my leg.I guess I let the mechanic install the signals while he is in there!
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
It's up and operational.  Will take it out on a test ride to check the mirror adjustments.  The real test will be this weekend.  I'll report back by next Monday.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »
It's up and operational.  Will take it out on a test ride to check the mirror adjustments.  The real test will be this weekend.  I'll report back by next Monday.

Let us know how bright they are at night too.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 04:29:03 AM »
They look pretty bright in the garage.....  I don't think brightness at night will be a problem.

I want to make sure they won't fall off.  I'm doing about 1300 miles this weekend.  That should be a good test.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 07:49:33 AM »
They look pretty bright in the garage.....  I don't think brightness at night will be a problem.

I want to make sure they won't fall off.  I'm doing about 1300 miles this weekend.  That should be a good test.

I was referring to how distracting they will be to you at night.  Did they angle the LEDs away from you enough so they don't interfere with your field of view at night?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »
Dunno.  I won't be testing that until Friday morning...but I'll keep it in mind.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
As far as them being bright at night.....they are.  Not enough to really bother me though.   They're visible in daylight but I don't know how visible.  I'll have to get my wife to follow me on a nice bright day to see how they look.   Did about 1200 miles and they didn't fall off or stop working.  I can't say the same for the right mirror.  It takes about 1000 miles to lose 2 out of 3 nuts on a mirror assembly if you don't tighten them enough.  On the plus side, one very tight nut can secure the entire assembly for the duration of the trip home..... :banghead:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
How much are new mirrors?  I saw black mirrors on Ebay that have a factory appearance for 229.   The face was gloss black.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »
It takes about 1000 miles to lose 2 out of 3 nuts on a mirror assembly if you don't tighten them enough. 

Should I use blue locktite on mine?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 04:11:39 AM »
You can if you want to but I don't think it's necessary.  It really does help to tighten them up in the first place.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
Those mirrors were kinda cool I must say.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
I finally installed mine, well just the left for now. Installation was straight forward, I just followed the instructions from Projekt D. Since Virginajim said he had problems with the new mirror adhering I thoroughly washed, rinsed and then cleaned with alcohol and had no problems with the new mirror sticking to the old. But that said, they are useless on a bright day. My wife followed me and could not see it at all. I took a short video to show what it looks like.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »
I finally installed mine, well just the left for now. Installation was straight forward, I just followed the instructions from Projekt D. Since Virginajim said he had problems with the new mirror adhering I thoroughly washed, rinsed and then cleaned with alcohol and had no problems with the new mirror sticking to the old. But that said, they are useless on a bright day. My wife followed me and could not see it at all. I took a short video to show what it looks like.

I couldn't even tell that the signal was flashing till you got real close. Seems just about worthless except for maybe at night.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
I couldn't even tell that the signal was flashing till you got real close. Seems just about worthless except for maybe at night.

Yup, I was disappointed. I like Projekt D and the kit is well done but they just aren't bright enough. In fact one of the benefits I was hoping for was that I would never leave the turn signal on. I'm actually pretty good about that but once in awhile, especially when changing lanes I forget and was hoping that these being constantly in my peripheral vision would always remind me. But found that the little green lights on the console are brighter. I'm wondering if they are the way they are because they found that they would be too bright at night if they are bright enough to see well during the day. Seems like what is needed is much brighter with a dimming switch for night. But that would probably double the cost.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
I was wondering about that....usage in daylight.  I can see them being useful at night and low visibility settings.  I feared they wouldn't be as good in strong daylight.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »
Projekt D dovrebbe sapere che i nostri specchi retrovisori illuminati da dietro fanno passare la luce,quindi lo specchio intero farebbe da freccia.
Scusatemi ma a me non sfugge questo particolare che posso con videoclip dimostrare.

Projekt D should know that our mirrors are illuminated from behind the light switch and the mirror would be whole arrow.
I'm sorry but I can not escape I can with this particular video clip show.

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline ugocon

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »
It's a concise sentence by Valerio but I notice that it's awfully translated into English by Google.
I try to do better...

"Projekt D should know that our mirrors let the light pass through when illuminated from behind, thus the whole mirror can act as a turn signal.
I'm sorry, but I noticed this peculiarity and I can demonstrate it with a video clip
"

Well, awaiting for the clip then, Valerio...  :)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 04:13:31 AM »
Somehow I was expecting more.. :'( .  What, no full fledged turn signal unit that was toned down for night riding and bright for day time usage?  However, thanks for demonstrating that the stock mirrors are indeed see through, MG.   :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
Sorry about the broken mirror MG but wondering if there is a way to safely remove the original mirror from the housing. Because then I could imagine creating something that lights up just the tip of the mirror with a dimmer for night. A bright bulb of some sort with aluminum duct tape on the back to make the rest of the mirror opaque.