Author Topic: ProjeKt D LED mirror turn signals installation and review  (Read 37402 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: ProjeKt D LED mirror turn signals installation and review
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
How did you splice them in to the bike wiring?  And were there any unintended consequences?

I had my covers (Tupperware) all off because I was doing the running/light LED install. So I tapped
into the signal connectors on each side just at the connector above the signals themselves. If I was
just going to do the signal mirrors and not remove anything but the top covers then I would go
under the rubber boot on the left front side and tap in there. Both signals are available there so you
would need to run a wire across to the right side under the center top tank cover/'08-'09 glovebox for the
right mirror signal. The schematic for the connector in the left front boot is here:

(Disregard the orangy-red dots with the yellow centers, that had to do with my other post.) You'll need to
connect to the green wire for the left mirror signal and the gray wire for the right mirror signal.

As for unintended consequences, I haven't found any, yet.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »
Excellent!

By way of an update, I will say that Projekt D certainly communicates all the steps involved in the shipping procedures.  I've been inundated with emails on it's status.  They also send you a PDF file of the installation (haven't seen that yet as it may be caught in spam).  It was.

LED signal installation instructions

[smg id=374 type=av]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:59:09 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
Excellent!

By way of an update, I will say that Projekt D certainly communicates all the steps involved in the shipping procedures.  I've been inundated with emails on it's status.  They also send you a PDF file of the installation (haven't seen that yet as it may be caught in spam).  It was.

Yeah... they were the same with my peg lowering kit.

[smg id=374 type=av]

Very interesting... Not as scary now that I see they aren't "replacement" mirrors... just supplemental ones that go on top. But, it gets me to wondering how thick the adhesive pad is, as the LED assembly can only really be as thick as the adhesive (or vice versa). Take a couple edge shots if you can... when your units arrive, of course.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
They also send you a PDF file of the installation.

[smg id=374 type=av]

I like their instructions much better than mine, better wire routing and they appear to remove
a different cover so as to avoid messing with the color cover altogether.
 I think I'll redo mine in the future.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »
Excellent!

By way of an update, I will say that Projekt D certainly communicates all the steps involved in the shipping procedures.  I've been inundated with emails on it's status.  They also send you a PDF file of the installation (haven't seen that yet as it may be caught in spam).

What is also excellent is that their instructions (not only this, but others too) are not in Chinglish!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »
Actually very well written.  Not like the Japlish in the service and owner's manuals.  Don't know if that's improved any on the new versions...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
I'm supposed to receive mine on Thursday. Unfortunately I will be out of the country for 2 weeks starting Thursday. So hopefully I can install on Sunday, Oct 21. Review to follow.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »
It came late today, now to get the cojones to take the mirror assembly apart, always seems like I break something on my first try disassembling a part of the bike!  ???
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »
I'm already half way there on the right side.  Will be taking the mirror off today and seeing what I can do to damage it beyond redemption.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »
This may be a bit slower than anticipated.  Ran into some other issues while taking things apart on the right side.  Half the plastic holding the well nut on the mirror is gone.  I need to fix that.  I knew the left side was totally cracked and gone but didn't realize the same thing was happening on the right.  Looks like I'll be using some JB Weld to hold it together.  The only way to totally fix it is a new mirror assembly and I don't want to do that.  Going to the hw store now....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
This may be a bit slower than anticipated.  Ran into some other issues while taking things apart on the right side.  Half the plastic holding the well nut on the mirror is gone.  I need to fix that.  I knew the left side was totally cracked and gone but didn't realize the same thing was happening on the right.  Looks like I'll be using some JB Weld to hold it together.  The only way to totally fix it is a new mirror assembly and I don't want to do that.  Going to the hw store now....

Hey- nothing wrong with using something to fix it.  I have repaired many a plastic part on various devices using epoxy putty.  If you can't see it, and it works, then no big whoop!   Just make sure to scuff and score up the plastic first, then clean with alcohol so the epoxy or JB has something to grab onto that has texture and without oil/dirt contamination.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
That's what I was thinking of doing.  Unfortunately, after a  phone call this afternoon, that may be put on a back burner.  I've got to go out and see my brother in Iowa.   I was planning on going to Ohio but his call changed things.  I'm going to continue on the installation of the signal mirrors but any other work is being postponed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
Ok, got the right side fairing off so that I can see the wires going to the signal light.  Looks like a green and black w/yellow stripe.

Can anyone confirm that the black w/yellow stripe is common or ground?  I'm thinking so but I would like to know before I start a splicing...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
Ok, got the right side fairing off so that I can see the wires going to the signal light.  Looks like a green and black w/yellow stripe.

Can anyone confirm that the black w/yellow stripe is common or ground?  I'm thinking so but I would like to know before I start a splicing...

Don't you have a multimeter????!!!!

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »

I have similar issue except all of it is gone :(  How does one fix that short of replacing the entire mirror?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »

According to the service man black w/yellow stripe is common.

Just got my kit in the mail today. But probably will not get to until I get back from a long business trip.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
I have similar issue except all of it is gone :(  How does one fix that short of replacing the entire mirror?

I don't know....  I think we're all going to be Bozo's on that bus.  Those attachment tabs aren't holding up well at all.  It would be more palatable if we could order just the base but the damn thing comes as an assembly.  Buying used would probably be the same issue unless the bike was wrecked early in it's life.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
According to the service man black w/yellow stripe is common.

Just got my kit in the mail today. But probably will not get to until I get back from a long business trip.

That's what I was thinking.  Just wanted a second opinion before I destroy the electrical system.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  Just wanted a second opinion before I destroy the electrical system.

Had you gotten it backwards, it would have simply not worked but caused no problems and no damage to the electrical system (not even a blown fuse- there would be no short or overload).  The lights are LEDs so they require polarity to be correct to illuminate (unlike incandescent bulbs).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 04:30:25 AM »
Observations so far.....I used a 1/4 inch drill bit for the 6mm hole.  Don't drop the mirror attachment nuts in the fairing.  I got lucky and retrieved via a long magnet.  I'm not sure I trust, yet, the mirror with the kit to stay fastened as I can't get it to stick in certain spots.  I guess time will tell.  Also not sure if the additional weight will cause the mirror to lose adjustment all the time.  I guess time will tell.  If it does, that's going to really **** me off. I had that issue with the stock C10 and Voyager mirrors......hated it.  But, we'll see.