Author Topic: good replacement hdlt bulbs?  (Read 12720 times)

Offline h2smokin

good replacement hdlt bulbs?
« on: September 22, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »
Looking for descent set of bulbs for my headlights and a source maybe? I had a pair of the bulbs from murphs but they did not last long. I figure maybe 150hrs before both low beams went out . Now down to just the highs or swap back to the stockers I kept. Any other descent bulbs out there I can try . I'd try to get some hid's but I'm no good at electrical stuff although willing to try . I heard they've come down in price and at $60 a pair regular ones it might be worth a try. Thanks

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
Re: good replacement hdlt bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
I had the murphs bulbs in for almost 2 years and 22k miles before one of them died.....  Could that have been a fluke?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »
I didn't have much luck with them, either.  Very short lived from what I remember.  I went back to the stockers.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
Murph doesn't make the bulbs, he just sells them. ;)  Stock bulbs seem fine to me, will probably just stick with them.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »
Really?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie and me

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
Had pretty good luck with Silver stars, lasted over 4yrs in my Vstrom, with significant better light output, actually, that rather ugly Suzuki front end had the BEST stock light housings ive ever ridden! better than my new c-14, I ride at night at least once a day, (commuting)
2012 Black

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
Really?

Wasn't 100% sure you knew that. :loco:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
Appreciate it..

Offline Spanky

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »
I used the bulbs from murph as well. I had three of them go out in what I consider to be a very short time for a bulb. Installed an HID kit that has as many miles as the other three bulbs put together and still on the original HID bubls.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
I used the bulbs from murph as well. I had three of them go out in what I consider to be a very short time for a bulb. Installed an HID kit that has as many miles as the other three bulbs put together and still on the original HID bubls.

I have been using "Murphs" (Phillips) bulbs now for over a year, no prob.  But I probably ride much less than you do.  If I get annoyed, I will probably finally break down and install an HID kit.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »

:thumbs:

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »
Is there a relatively easy plug and play type HID kit out there? I may just say screw it and get it over with . I've heard the lighting is great and when I do ride long distance it is usually an overnight ride to avoid people and traffic .

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
Is there a relatively easy plug and play type HID kit out there? I may just say screw it and get it over with . I've heard the lighting is great and when I do ride long distance it is usually an overnight ride to avoid people and traffic .

I have the HID kit from A&R and am very happy with it.  :)

http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1426

http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/directions/concourshidinstructions.html

Offline Spanky

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
The A&R is the same kit I have too.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
I would love to have that HID kit, however the install looks like a pain in the arse and I don't feel like attempting to do it. :-[
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »
I would love to have that HID kit, however the install looks like a pain in the arse and I don't feel like attempting to do it. :-[

Yeah, that is what was holding me back too.  Having to go straight to the battery and having to use two ballasts and two igniters makes it much more complex.  It is too bad a kit couldn't be invented that somehow could use a single ballast/igniter box that runs both bulbs and pull the power it needs from the stock connectors.

I already know one day I will do it, but right now, laziness wins.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
is that a complete kit for both lights ? Not that bad $ if it works good coupled with the auxillary lights I want I'll be good to go

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
Had pretty good luck with Silver stars, lasted over 4yrs in my Vstrom, with significant better light output, actually, that rather ugly Suzuki front end had the BEST stock light housings ive ever ridden! better than my new c-14, I ride at night at least once a day, (commuting)
Same here, but went with the Silverstar Ultra. The Philips bulbs didn't last all that long for me. +1 on the V-Strom having the best lighting. One of the things I miss from the DL1000. If you take some time to get the aim / level, correct; the C14s work pretty well. May move up to the A&R Hids at some point,
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Spanky

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »
The install is fairly simple. If a mechanic installs it for you, it should not cost more than 1 to 1.5 hours labor for the install.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »
  My source for quality halogen bulbs.

http://www.rallylights.com
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.