3 (8.6%)
I ONLY WASH IT WHEN ITS REALLY DIRTY
22 (62.9%)
I NEVER WASH MY BIKE
1 (2.9%)
I WASH OFTEN AND I POLISH MY BIKE
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: pure water  (Read 14482 times)

Offline kargagtr

pure water
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »
Dear friends, I love the Gtr 14 but I got few questions,
1)I'm trying to understand the little clean, uncolored, no smell, non oiled, pure looking water left under the concours 14 after I ride a while...( maybe 45 min or so)
This water is not much, it is about a size of a normal hand....
The bike is not over heating, nor loosing or leaking any coolant....However in city ride the motor temp changes between the 3rd and 4th, and when it is on the 4th level, the fan works time to time, but never passes the 4th line...
No cracks on coolant bottle,nor any cracks or leak on the radiator or radiator hoses....Which would leak in coolant color, this water has no colors or odors......What is this water? that seems coming from a condensation hose? is it normal?
2)Is it normal to multifunction display panel to show constantly different "RANGE" depending on the gear ,speed and rpm, and not be spesific for more than 20 to 25 seconds, ie: after getting a full tank of, first it shows something like "Range 260 + miles, second gear now it shows 198 mi, 3rd gear not its 168 miles, 4th gear Range 210 miles, so on.... so it changes all the time, it wont stay still for a minute....It does show a range but as I explained, it seems not much use since it constantly changes ?
Thank you for your times and helps on my questions,
Have a safe ride
Karga
2009 Kaw. Concours 14
4700 mi

Offline Conrad

Re: pure water
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »
Do you see this water each and every time you park the bike? Have you ridden in the rain recently? If you have and you got a bunch of water in the air box it could be coming from there. See the pic below, click it to expand. That clamp inside the red circle is designed to be removed in order to drain the air box. Take a look at yours and see if it's full of water. 

The range changing is normal depending on load and gear selection.

[smg id=373]
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »

2)Is it normal to multifunction display panel to show constantly different "RANGE" depending on the gear ,speed and rpm, and not be spesific for more than 20 to 25 seconds, ie: after getting a full tank of, first it shows something like "Range 260 + miles, second gear now it shows 198 mi, 3rd gear not its 168 miles, 4th gear Range 210 miles, so on.... so it changes all the time, it wont stay still for a minute....It does show a range but as I explained, it seems not much use since it constantly changes ?

As Conrad said, completely normal. It is constantly recalculating based on all the inputs. Unfortunately it doesn't do averaging.

Offline kargagtr

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
Thank you for your reply,
No, I wasn't riding in the rain nor going thru a water...I looked at where you ask me to and seems both of the little mini bottles are empty....
And yes , so far I'veridden 5 times and each time that pure water is right underneath...
Where can I order the nice black highway bars like you installed... Are they reasonably priced, total of 2 or more have you installed?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »
Trade it for a hardly-ableson and it'll become an oil puddle =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »
If you are referring to the round black things sticking out the sides those aren't highway bars, those are GSG Frame sliders...  I think I got mine from twisted throttle..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »
No, I wasn't riding in the rain nor going thru a water...I looked at where you ask me to and seems both of the little mini bottles are empty....
And yes , so far I'veridden 5 times and each time that pure water is right underneath...
Where can I order the nice black highway bars like you installed... Are they reasonably priced, total of 2 or more have you installed?

Can you tell where the water is leaking from? Any chance that you have a friend playing a trip on you and pouring some water under your bike as a joke?    ;)
If not, I have no idea. There's isn't anything on the bike that contains only water. Are you sure that it's not brake fluid?

As for the GSG sliders, http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3931/605/  You can order them in black using the pull down box on the top right for $16 more. Or you may want to check these out, http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9386.0  The sale price is gone but you can still get them, contact Ryan at the number listed.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kargagtr

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies , and for the great suggestions

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »

The bike contains (or should contain) absolutely no "pure water" in it at all.  Unless someone put water in your coolant system instead of an antifreeze mix, which would be a bad thing, indeed.

Assuming your coolant is COOLANT, and you have not washed the bike in several days, there are only two possibilities for water-  rain or condensation.  And if it is condensation, I would not expect a "hand sized" puddle of water, unless your relative humidity there gets really high.  You didn't specify WHERE the puddle is located under the bike, which is an extremely important clue.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 03:52:39 PM »
I bet the bike is just working hard and sweating, from having to tote that massive exhaust around. :stirpot:  I wonder if you have an exhaust leak, and that is condensation?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »
Please pay no attention to the Twit in the above post....although he may have a point (I truly hate to say that) about the condensation from the exhaust.

I think I would check the oil site glass and see if the oil is murky and also check the oil cap to see if you have any brown sludge on it.  Report back if you do.   Where does the temp gauge stay in normal riding outside of the city?  It really sounds like the bike may not be heating up enough.  I think Mr. Conrad had that issue with his bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »
The range function is tied to the current mileage function so it will change as the way you use the bike changes. For example: if you ride down the road at, say, 50 MPH is 4th gear (a straight, level road) the range function will yield a certain distance. Now upshift into 6th, hold the same speed and watch the range increase. It does this because your instantaneous mileage has increased so whatever amount of fuel in the tank will take you further. Unless riding at a pretty steady speed that you expect to maintain, such as when on a highway, the range function is not really useful. It is correct data but not useful data.

As for the clear water, if you ride in the rain a certain amount of water will enter the air intakes up front. The air induction system has a set of baffles and dips to capture as much water as practical; that water is fed to a hose that exits by the left hand rider's peg. That drain will also drain any oil that condenses from the engine vent into the air intake system so occasionally there will be a fair amount of water with a bit of oil or usually oil foam in (floating on top of) it.

Brian

Dear friends, I love the Gtr 14 but I got few questions,
1)I'm trying to understand the little clean, uncolored, no smell, non oiled, pure looking water left under the concours 14 after I ride a while...( maybe 45 min or so)
This water is not much, it is about a size of a normal hand....
The bike is not over heating, nor loosing or leaking any coolant....However in city ride the motor temp changes between the 3rd and 4th, and when it is on the 4th level, the fan works time to time, but never passes the 4th line...
No cracks on coolant bottle,nor any cracks or leak on the radiator or radiator hoses....Which would leak in coolant color, this water has no colors or odors......What is this water? that seems coming from a condensation hose? is it normal?
Thank you for your times and helps on my questions,
Have a safe ride
Karga
2009 Kaw. Concours 14
4700 mi
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
Exhaust condensation would be my guess.  Some bikes have weep holes in the exhaust to let the water out and prevent rust.  I have not looked at the C14's pipes yet.

Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 04:32:52 AM »
The range function is tied to the current mileage function so it will change as the way you use the bike changes. For example: if you ride down the road at, say, 50 MPH is 4th gear (a straight, level road) the range function will yield a certain distance. Now upshift into 6th, hold the same speed and watch the range increase. It does this because your instantaneous mileage has increased so whatever amount of fuel in the tank will take you further. Unless riding at a pretty steady speed that you expect to maintain, such as when on a highway, the range function is not really useful. It is correct data but not useful data.

As for the clear water, if you ride in the rain a certain amount of water will enter the air intakes up front. The air induction system has a set of baffles and dips to capture as much water as practical; that water is fed to a hose that exits by the left hand rider's peg. That drain will also drain any oil that condenses from the engine vent into the air intake system so occasionally there will be a fair amount of water with a bit of oil or usually oil foam in (floating on top of) it.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I pretty much said the same thing in post #1 except I had a visual aide.  Ha!  ;)

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »
Almost every bike I've owned had a drain hole in the bottom of the exhaust to let condensate drip out and it usually collects noticeably on a cold day.  I've never noticed condensate under my own C14, but I'm sure that is what you are looking at.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
Yeah, you are correct, I did not read the entire thread before posting. But I think I can redeem myself and trump you visual aide at the same time.... watch this:

KiPass!

Yep, that ought to do it.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I pretty much said the same thing in post #1 except I had a visual aide.  Ha!  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 12:28:37 PM »
Yeah, you are correct, I did not read the entire thread before posting. But I think I can redeem myself and trump you visual aide at the same time.... watch this:

KiPass!

Yep, that ought to do it.

Brian

:hail:

Offline kargagtr

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
Good news dear friends, I was at the Kawasaki dealer today, getting the factory recall done with that little piece in breaking, and had the bike checked...No sign of even a drop of water, no leaks, no oil drips...Every fluid level is just right, all the colors are also nice....Service tech was telling me, after washing this specific bike it is normal to see some water coming on to floor after even a week or two, he was pointing out all the intakes intakes and places where water might drip and sit, and then finally find its way to floor....

To answer the question about the engine temp. it is usually on the second level to third level within city, rarely on fourth level, and when it reaches to fourth level the fan does come on.

Thank you all for your knowledgeable responses.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
No good can come from washing a bike...

Sounds like to me it's running a bit cool.  Keep an eye on the oil color in the sight glass and underneath the oil cap.  If it starts getting muddy looking or frothy then you may have to change the thermostat.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kargagtr

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
VirginiaJim Ok, I'll Keep an eye on the oil color in the sight glass and underneath the oil cap.
Isn't average 3rd to fourth level normal, within city low rpm(below 4500) , maybe about 30 to 40 min rides?