Author Topic: Max speed for each gear?  (Read 36567 times)

Offline AftonJay

Re: Max speed for each gear?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
Actually it was in a calculator.  ;)

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »
Vacuum would be zero mph as the engine would not operate without oxygen.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »
Vacuum would be zero mph as the engine would not operate without oxygen.

Details details
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »
This must be in a vacuum.

Well, I checked the numbers today with my GPS and fresh (only 200 miles old) Pirelli Angels by reaching 8000 rpm and extrapolated, and at 10700 rpm I get exactly Kazairl numbers. I also calculated them for reassurance (tire diameter, ratios, etc.) and they are within 0.5 mph. These are my numbers:

1st     72.3 mph
2nd  100.0 mph
3rd   126.9 mph
4th   156.0 mph
5th   186.7 mph
6th   224.5 mph
A big "thanks!" to all those kind German drivers that got out of my freaking way on the A8 from Salzburg to Munich this afternoon  :chugbeer:
I guess Oktoberfest around the corner makes them extra nice this time of the year...

Note: I didn't reach 8000 rpm in 6th because I was with my topcase and was afraid it would be "unhealthy" so I stopped at 6000 rpm (126 mph) and extrapolated.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »
Yeah...it doesn't quite work that way.   ::)

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »
Note: I didn't reach 8000 rpm in 6th because I was with my topcase and was afraid it would be "unhealthy" so I stopped at 6000 rpm (126 mph) and extrapolated.

Pansy.  :P

I'm surprised the numbers would turn out that close. I guess the size designation on the sidewall is closer to true height than I figured.

Offline Slideways

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »
I can say that in the real world 3rd is over 120mph as indicated on my speedo. Shifted to 4th at an indicated 124mph dropping an especially annoying punk in a WRX.  8)
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
:o
Max, have you taken the bike to 10 000 rpm in 4th and 5th?
In my experience, 5th does take you faster than 4th.

According to the math posted, one would hit top speed in 4th, no?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
Great info - thanks!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
It depends but probably not- it is not likely that the engine will actually reach 10,700 RPM before the ECU cuts it off (mine is a lot closer to 9,700 than 10,700). The next thing to consider is where the engine makes max. torque and what gear would actually get the engine to produce the greatest amount at that speed.

As I remember from those who have posted about it, the bike reaches max. speed in 5th gear.

And of course it is not physically possible for this bike, with a stock engine, to get near 200 MPH in reality because there is just not enough available power to overcome the drag at that speed or even close.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline TJ

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »
I can say that in the real world 3rd is over 120mph as indicated on my speedo. Shifted to 4th at an indicated 124mph dropping an especially annoying punk in a WRX.  8)

He he ;D Glad you smoked his punk ass.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 12:16:01 AM »

I don't know what top speed you mean, but I reached 167 mph on my gps in 5th twice in the past, and I've stayed there and she didn't have anything else to give. My bike is basically stock and I was with the bags on, which I find a bit more stable.
Faster than 150 mph is out of reach in 4th because the limiter won't allow it. And I can't get the bike any faster than that in 6th, either. She just runs out of steam. But downshifting into 5th does the trick and up to 160 (258 kmh, for those who got rid of their ex-colony status  ;D) is relatively quick. From there on is just waiting and praying that nothing comes in your way. Too stressful for me, although I know she is just flexing her muscles.
Every time I find myself in a 3 or 4 lanes stretch of Autobahn with no traffic and twist the throttle, I feel like unleashing a high prey dog.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:39 AM »

That would be true for your slower 2nd gen bike Max. According to the math that is.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
Here's a nice little calculator I found for computing theoretical speeds.  Just input your tire size, gear and final gear ratios and it does the rest.

http://f-body.org/gears/

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
So my 2011 won't go any faster in 5th then in 4th. :D. Not unless i re-flash the ECU, right? Actually I use 5th and 6th to save fuel on the super-slab. I dont't think I've ever been up past maybe 120 while passing a convoy of trucks on I95 south. I was in 5th gear and just twisted to WOT till i was passed and moved back to the right.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline danl

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »

Every time I find myself in a 3 or 4 lanes stretch of Autobahn with no traffic and twist the throttle, I feel like unleashing a high prey dog.

Sorta like this. (I don't think many will get that reference)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
So my 2011 won't go any faster in 5th then in 4th. :D. Not unless i re-flash the ECU, right? Actually I use 5th and 6th to save fuel on the super-slab. I dont't think I've ever been up past maybe 120 while passing a convoy of trucks on I95 south. I was in 5th gear and just twisted to WOT till i was passed and moved back to the right.

You should have downshifted to third (if not second) and then WOT to pass. Would have been MUCH more exciting of a pass. Quicker, too. 8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Wilsonos2

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
I can tell you on the dyno running into the rev limiter in 5th mine hit 175. No wind resistence. Its an 09 with a 190 rear tire.
2009 Concours 14 Black. Area P slip-on, KN Filter, PC5, Flies Removed.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »
Can't say that I have ever even thought about it.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 05:06:14 AM »
Since 6th gear is an overdrive (hence the OD in the display) it is purely there to reduce engine rpm at cruising speeds.
Overdrives have a small effect on fuel economy but it's mostly about reducing wear on the motor/gearbox.
Fuel economy is almost all down to drag once yer running at constant speeds.
Higher speed = higher drag.

Someone on here did a speed run on an airfield a few years back (on a faster 1st Gen,.. naturally!  ;D) and clocked 176Mph with no side bags and OEM screen, but I can't remember if he'd removed the 'Flies and fitted a Power Commander.
That was in 5th gear.

My personal record was 165Mph indicated (in 5th, probably about 155Mph real) on the Autobahn (A3, Frankfurt to Bonn) whilst "playing" with a guy on a ZX12R. We had some fun!  8) ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK