Author Topic: New multi-adjustable handlebars from Precision Engineering  (Read 49715 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
By all means my good Sir. Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline coldhearted22

Hi ZG. another great acquisition to the Connie, i think they look great. Quick question though: can you rotate the position of the grip? meaning can it be adjusted out from the oem setup or more in for that matter? I hope am making some sense here..
2012 Candy Arabian Red Concours 14

Offline ZG

• Arena
Hi ZG. another great acquisition to the Connie, i think they look great. Quick question though: can you rotate the position of the grip? meaning can it be adjusted out from the oem setup or more in for that matter? I hope am making some sense here..

Thanks CH. Do you mean the angle or the in/out length?  ???

Offline coldhearted22

The angle as opposed to the original position we get oem.

Offline ZG

• Arena
The angle as opposed to the original position we get oem.

Hmmm... Well, I'm not 100% sure because I haven't mounted em yet but my gut thinks no, for that adjustment simply putting Murphs wedges underneath them just like on the oem bars would achieve that. Once I get em mounted though I'll probably have better insight.

Offline coldhearted22

Thanks ZG, looking forward to to see them mounted and your overall take on them. :thumbs:

Offline ZG

• Arena
Thanks ZG, looking forward to to see them mounted and your overall take on them. :thumbs:

Will do brutha, hopefully tomorrow.  :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Will do brutha, hopefully tomorrow.  :chugbeer:

Your wife have some free time then?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
It may have been asked but will the grips alone rotate front to back?  I understand that wedges will adjust the up and down position.  Thanks.

Offline ZG

• Arena
It may have been asked but will the grips alone rotate front to back?  I understand that wedges will adjust the up and down position.  Thanks.

Do you mean if you're looking straight down on them from up above (like... / or l or \), if so then yes they appear to have that ajustibility.

Your wife have some free time then?

;D ;D ;D     :battle:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
great, so where are the pics?

Offline ZG

• Arena
Installed!!!

First let me start off by saying I am no wrencher, far from it, putting gas in is about the extent of it for me...  :-[

I installed these myself and it was very straight forward and easy to do, if I can do it anybody can...  ;)

I did the right side first, took me about an hour, some of that because I forgot to put the washers in and most of it was just getting them positioned how I liked best. Multi-adjust is an understatement, man there are alot of adjustments in lots of directions...

I found that doing just one side all the way through is a good approach, this allowed me to compare my original setup on the left with the new setup on the right, then it was just a matter of fine tuning how I wanted it to be set.

After the learning lesson on the right side, the left side only took me about 15 minutes, it was nice because as I did the left side I already new what adjustment spots I wanted (from the right side) and was able to fully tighten bolts as I went.  :thumbs:

I then went for about an hour ride and brought my allen wrench's, I pulled over twice and re-adjusted, pretty quick process to adjust on the fly.

All and all I'm quite pleased with these, now that I've got them adjusted to where I like em. The final setup brings the bars a little higher, a little further back, and angled more (like 7:30 & 4:30 if looking straight at it from the top) than my prior setup with the oem bars.  :)

Here are some of my thoughts good and bad...

- The black finish looks great, I didn't think I'd like the silver bolts but they actually match my Pazzo levers perfect (also black with silver bolts)!

- The adjustability is really great, I'm a short guy so the ability to adjust for me is awesome, I bet a tall guy would also be able to say the same adjusting them to their liking as well.

- The bars in the collapsed position are about the same height as oem bars, the height adjustment is 1.5", I had 2" risers and Murphs wedges prior with the oem bars, so when I first installed them I did not add my 2" risers and they felt a little shorter than I had and liked (just my preference, maybe not for other folks that are taller), so I then added my 2" Heli risers back under them.

- I couldn't add my Murphs wedges because the holes for the bolts at the bottom of the bases are too small for the angled washers needed for wedges. I think this is an easy fix though if PE wants to add this option for folks that like that angle, I think that PE could make an optional insert (7 in the diagram I posted prior) with just a different angle to it, pic below of how it comes right now and you can see the current angle, easy fix IMO but I'm no machinist...

- The small allen bolts (11 & 9 on the diagram) are kind of a pain but not a deal breaker by any means... I'm afraid if you were to lose those it might not be such an easy bolt to find, I may ask for a couple spares from PE for future just in case I lose one somehow or one strips out.

- For the adjustment of pulling them more towards you (where the base attaches to the arm 1 & 5 in the diagram) I wish had the holes closer togother (like the insert does, 7 in the diagram) this would allow even more adjustment points. I like where I have them right now but I almost wish I could be right in between the hole I'm in now and the next one down. I'm gonna reach out to PE on Monday to discuss this option with them...

My final adjustment (for now at least) is I actually extended them all the way up, so that's 1.5" plus my 2" Heli risers under em (again I'm a short guy) and I angled the bars back to furthest mark which as I said puts them at about 7:30 & 4:30 looking from the top, and the pull back just in the middle.   :)

Anyways, all and all I'm happy and I do give these bars the ZG approval!  :thumbs: 

Here's some pics for ya...  :)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:57:31 PM by ZG »

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Nice looking bike there Jay, cannot wait to see the gold.  Comparing your bike to mine I am wondering if is worth trying.  With the exception of mine coming straight back about 1.5" I have them perfect.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Installed!!!

Congrats and thanks for all the info and pics.  I agree that it looks like it would have made for sense for them to have more adjustability on the bottom (more holes).  Maybe it would have compromised strength, though.  I am also surprised they don't telescope more than that!  I guess I didn't catch the 1.5" on the previous specs- just LOOKS like they would adjust more; especially at that price and seeing that most people will want more than 1.5" of added height/length.

Is there a swivel adjustment at the top, so the bars can be angled in or out more?  I still can't tell from the photos or descriptions (looks like there is and that is what you were trying to show in the second photo.

You actually have enough length for all the hoses and wiring using those things fully extended AND on top of 2" risers???  If so- wow!

I still say it is a huge shame they don't offer them in aluminum color.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Way to go on the install bro. Guess I don't get the two inch risers :(

Offline ZG

• Arena
Way to go on the install bro.

Thanks bro! I even got some sort of dirt or something underneath one of my fingernails!  ;D :o :'(   :chugbeer:

Guess I don't get the two inch risers :(

Sorry bro...  :(

Is there a swivel adjustment at the top, so the bars can be angled in or out more?  I still can't tell from the photos or descriptions (looks like there is and that is what you were trying to show in the second photo.

Yes, the top has swivel adjustment. That's what I was trying to describe by saying 4:30 and 7:30 position, you could make them 9:00 and 3:00 if you wanted.

You actually have enough length for all the hoses and wiring using those things fully extended AND on top of 2" risers???  If so- wow!

Length has never been an issue for me Max...  ;) :-X

Offline ZG

• Arena
Ok, now I'm just playing around with the adjustments...  ;D

Anyone seen that movie "The Worlds Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins?

Obviously you'd have to rotate the resevoirs and the levers but you get the idea, check out the right side bar...  8)   

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:56:08 PM by ZG »

Offline ZG

• Arena
Nice looking bike there Jay, cannot wait to see the gold. 

Thanks bro!  :chugbeer:

Breaker19

Interesting looking and concept, and they come in black...  8)

http://www.preeng.com/xcart/product.php?productid=56&cat=11&page=1

These adjustable handlebars are CNC machined out of billet 6061 aluminum. These are completely adjustable vertically, forward, backward for a super customizable riding position. These risers will allow 3" of adjustment rearward, 3" adjustment forward and 1.5" upward with out adjusting the hydraulic lines.

This product is supplied with all hardware needed to make installation very simple and straight forward.

These risers have been black anodized to provide protection to the outside elements.

Is that the price with the discount? Ouch.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Is that the price with the discount? Ouch.

No, that is the price before discount.  Still "Ouch", though :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc