Author Topic: New multi-adjustable handlebars from Precision Engineering  (Read 49363 times)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
As much as it detract from such a beautiful bike, really really really need a picture of you on the bike holding the bars  8)

NO!!!!  :yikes:  ZG can you get your wife to sit on the bike and hold the bars?   :stirpot: :popcorn:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
I would be satisfied with a lot less adjustability, as long as I could swing the grips outward just a little to reduce the twisting strain on my wrists that I believe to be the main cause of pain/numbness.

These do look pretty good to me, except for the way the extension sections look when they're pulled out. That little series of holes and the silver Allen head screws are just plain distracting. Couldn't they have put them on the underneath side and more out of sight?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
NO!!!!  :yikes:  ZG can you get your wife to sit on the bike and hold the bars?   :stirpot: :popcorn:

Like this?  ;D ;)

Offline Conrad

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

Like this?  ;D ;)

He said YOUR wife, not mine ;D

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
He said YOUR wife, not mine ;D
Holy ****, your wife was at my place last night?!
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Son of Pappy

Holy ****, your wife was at my place last night?!
She left early, something about a "Minute Man"? ;D

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Yeah, she said, "Who you going to please with THAT?"  And I said, "ME!"
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
She left early, something about a "Minute Man"? ;D
A minute, you give me too much credit  ;D

Sorry for derailing your thread, ZG  ::)
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline twowheeladdict

Thanks for the additional photos.  Question.  If you only needed one fastener to hold the bars in place then why are the holes going all the way around the base? 

Looks like the design is still in some flux.  Do I jump on them or wait for gen 2.  Mmm.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline ZG

• Arena
Thanks for the additional photos.  Question.  If you only needed one fastener to hold the bars in place then why are the holes going all the way around the base? 

The holes on the arm are not symmetrical, only the holes on the bases are. The small bolt that you see can be placed in any of the holes, hence the adjustment points. The holes in the bases are just holes, but the holes in the arms (that the small bolt threads into) are tapped, so it was easier for PE to just drill a hole in the base for me rather than adding and additional tapped hole. Make sense??

Looks like the design is still in some flux.  Do I jump on them or wait for gen 2.  Mmm.

Well, I'd think the current ZG $150 discount is worth pulling the trigger, the discount only goes for another 3 weeks...

I know I'm happy.  :)

Offline twowheeladdict

Just ordered a set of these bars.  Going to mount them without risers and my goal is to bring them closer and turn them in a little.  I thing I need to find the optimum handlebar position before I try seat options. 

I sat on a friends Concours with a Corbin seat and for the me the seat made me want to have the bars back at least 6 inches because the seat position is so upright. 

I like the forward lean of the stock seat.  The foam is just too soft for distance riding IMO.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
I would be satisfied with a lot less adjustability, as long as I could swing the grips outward just a little to reduce the twisting strain on my wrists that I believe to be the main cause of pain/numbness.

This.

I am really agonising over getting something.  I was noticing the angle of my arm to my hand the other day while riding, and my arm defeinitly pokes out at the elbow like a chicken wing (to overexagerate).  I went down and sat on the bike bike tonight, assumed the position as it were, and could really see how this outward twist in my arm extends down to put weight on the outer edge of my palm.  I also noticed that if I pretended I was braking hard into a corner (work with me here, guys), the angle of my arm twisting out was even more pronounced and I could feel this leverage effect putting even more weight on the outer edge of my palm - this I am going to assume is where my nerve damage came from that is still not 100% healed.  When I straight armed myself, so there was a straight line down my arm over my hand, I could feel my weight evenly distrubted over my palm and even pretending to brake hard while my arm still chicken wings slightly, it is no where near as pronounced and the weight stays mostly across my palm.

I am personally convinced unless I do something like these risers that will twist the grip outwards I will have to sell the bike as it would seem a day of hard riding in the twisties leaves me a cripple (or at least having the pleasure of a stranger doing it (if you have to ask, you don't want to know)).

GAH! I really wanted some exhausts, but these "practical" mods keep getting in the way. I'll have to ask if they post to Australia.
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline Conrad

Glennn,

You did make motor noises while you were doing all that right? If not, get back out there and try it again!    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
This.

I am really agonising over getting something.  I was noticing the angle of my arm to my hand the other day while riding, and my arm defeinitly pokes out at the elbow like a chicken wing (to overexagerate).  I went down and sat on the bike bike tonight, assumed the position as it were, and could really see how this outward twist in my arm extends down to put weight on the outer edge of my palm.  I also noticed that if I pretended I was braking hard into a corner (work with me here, guys), the angle of my arm twisting out was even more pronounced and I could feel this leverage effect putting even more weight on the outer edge of my palm - this I am going to assume is where my nerve damage came from that is still not 100% healed.  When I straight armed myself, so there was a straight line down my arm over my hand, I could feel my weight evenly distrubted over my palm and even pretending to brake hard while my arm still chicken wings slightly, it is no where near as pronounced and the weight stays mostly across my palm.

I am personally convinced unless I do something like these risers that will twist the grip outwards I will have to sell the bike as it would seem a day of hard riding in the twisties leaves me a cripple (or at least having the pleasure of a stranger doing it (if you have to ask, you don't want to know)).

GAH! I really wanted some exhausts, but these "practical" mods keep getting in the way. I'll have to ask if they post to Australia.

I had the same problem with the palm to handlebar alignment.  A few months after buying my 2010, I went on a 3600 mile 9 day ride.  It took months to get the feeling back in the third finger of my right hand.

After chatting with Phil (of Phil's Farkles) about it, I installed a set of his (now Murphs) wedges, and that seems to have fixed the issue for me.  If funds are tight, that might be a acceptable solution too.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline wally_games

• Arena

I had the same problem with the palm to handlebar alignment.  A few months after buying my 2010, I went on a 3600 mile 9 day ride.  It took months to get the feeling back in the third finger of my right hand.

After chatting with Phil (of Phil's Farkles) about it, I installed a set of his (now Murphs) wedges, and that seems to have fixed the issue for me.  If funds are tight, that might be a acceptable solution too.

The wedges certainly helped, but did not completely solve the issue for me. I really wish someone just sold the round grip bars with a slight angle in them where they join the uprights (I calculated 6% for me). That would move the bar end weights towards the front of the bike slightly and would create an angle that would fit my palm much better.

(Might even make them out of something a little heavier to help with the vibrations.)

Phil??  ;)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver

+1

Phil's (now Murph's) wedges are the cure for a lot of these types of hand problems.  I highly recommend them and I have them installed under my 2" risers.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider

Yeah I've got both the risers and wedges, do help a little, but there is still an acute twist to my wrist.  Iffn I get these PE handlebars I'll keep the risers initially as they should work without extending the brake lines (reading what Jay has done for us), and twisting the handles out might also give enough slack to pull them back a notch too.
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
Holy snapping duck-poo their international shipping rates wipe out the discount.  Hopefully they will accept my freight forwarder address.
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Yeah I've got both the risers and wedges, do help a little, but there is still an acute twist to my wrist.  Iffn I get these PE handlebars I'll keep the risers initially as they should work without extending the brake lines (reading what Jay has done for us), and twisting the handles out might also give enough slack to pull them back a notch too.

Why wouldn't you remove the risers and just extend the new bars? Unless you were planning on extending them AND using risers to get them into ape-hanger territory.  :o