Author Topic: Did a wheelie today  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Elfmaze

Did a wheelie today
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »
First one ever attempted on the stock GTR.  powered it up from 6000 rpm in first.  Nose came off the ground easy enogh but by the time the front wheel got no more than two inches up the secondary butterflies slammed shut and she came back down.   Traction control does its job! :thumbs:   

The transition back to power was smooth too, didn't upset the handling after landing

Offline ugocon

Re: Did a wheelie today
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:15:41 PM »
You don't live in Illinois, right?

Otherwise your wheelie would be double risky: injures (if you fail it...) and money (if a cop spots you!)

I couldn't believe it when I read it http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9642.0

Bah!
 ???
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
just turn off the traction control.   the only problem with this bike and wheelies is slamming the bike down too hard because its soooo damn heavy.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
I didn't try it yet: too scared of the weight and of the impact on my aching back!  ???

But it's in my "to do" list...   :P
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »
Wheelie easy peasy on the 1400.
She will lift on just the throttle in 2nd too if ya get it right.
I've done many a "floater" during fast launches, but have only done a few real wheelies.
The first was accidental. I was doing a fast launch and the front wheel hit a bump and up she came.
Easy to control and no drama on touchdown either.
2nd time I was trying and again it was dead easy to loft and to control although the on/off nature of the throttle makes it difficult to hold for any length of time. One of these days I'll have to either Flies/PCV or Guhl the bike.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »
Wheelie easy peasy on the 1400.
She will lift on just the throttle in 2nd too if ya get it right.
I've done many a "floater" during fast launches, but have only done a few real wheelies.
The first was accidental. I was doing a fast launch and the front wheel hit a bump and up she came.
Easy to control and no drama on touchdown either.
2nd time I was trying and again it was dead easy to loft and to control although the on/off nature of the throttle makes it difficult to hold for any length of time. One of these days I'll have to either Flies/PCV or Guhl the bike.

That's my experience too. I've never done a wheelie on the C14 on purpose though. The few times that I've done it has been on hard launches, banging second and up the wheel comes, a 'floater' like Boomer mentions. Soft landing too.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn