Author Topic: Brake lever switch  (Read 2712 times)

Offline novo64

Brake lever switch
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
Well I have been searching around and cannot find any information on how to adjust the brake lever switch (if it is even possible)  Is there a way to adjust this switch to make my brake light come on sooner as I pull in the brake lever.   My KLR has a little screw that I can to to make this adjustment.  Thanks for the help.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Brake lever switch
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »
No, there is no adjustment- one pin to locate the switch and one screw to retain it. The fact that the light comes on relatively late (just after the hydraulics engage) used to annoy me too so I filed just a bit of plastic off of the tip of the switch. My suggestion would be to go slow and check the function often so you do not remove too much. A new switch is only something like $15 or $20 if I remember correctly so even if the switch is ruined it is not a horrible thing.

Brian

Well I have been searching around and cannot find any information on how to adjust the brake lever switch (if it is even possible)  Is there a way to adjust this switch to make my brake light come on sooner as I pull in the brake lever.   My KLR has a little screw that I can to to make this adjustment.  Thanks for the help.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Is this a common problem?  My C14's front brake light switch activates quite early in the travel, at about 10mm of movement at the tip, just before pressurizing the lines.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:07:15 AM »
I don't know about the O.P. but it wasn't really even a problem for me. But I do like to flash the brake lights a few times before beginning to slow down, and originally that only happened when the brakes also engaged. The slights shocks to the bike were annoying. Also I use the front brake to disengage the cruise control and again do not want to actually put any pressure on the brake when doing so. Cutting the plunger on the switch slightly allows me to do those things. So rather than a problem, I guess I would call it a personal preference.

Brian

Is this a common problem?  My C14's front brake light switch activates quite early in the travel, at about 10mm of movement at the tip, just before pressurizing the lines.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
wondered about this myself as I can apply brakes for mild slowing down and no brake light comes on. gotta try shaving the pin a bit.

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:42:07 PM »
I'm gonna have to try this because I can slow down quite a bit before the light comes on.  Most of the time during my commute im pretty sure I don't have the brake light come on.  :-[

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:16:36 AM »
I don't know about the O.P. but it wasn't really even a problem for me. But I do like to flash the brake lights a few times before beginning to slow down, and originally that only happened when the brakes also engaged. The slights shocks to the bike were annoying. Also I use the front brake to disengage the cruise control and again do not want to actually put any pressure on the brake when doing so. Cutting the plunger on the switch slightly allows me to do those things. So rather than a problem, I guess I would call it a personal preference.

Brian

Brian, what about that development of yours? we (I) haven't heard much of it lately  ???
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »
Still in an endless cycle of mechanical prototyping. I have exhausted the obviously bad ideas (only one of those really) but the detail of the design is tricky. Especially considering what it is (something that opens the throttle) and that it will be self- installed; I have to know it is almost impossible to have malfunction before I can even release the beta version.

That and being side tracked with other interesting things like aux. fuel cells and motorcycle seating. The saddle thing has taken quite a bit of time because I really think there is a better way to sit on a motorcycle for long periods at a time that what is available now.

But thanks for asking- others are interested too. I had expected to have the unit completed long ago but some of the finer points have been very difficult to finalize, especially given the manufacturing tolerances in the original motorcycle (not a jab at any manufacturer, simply that I am trying to fit a precise mechanism to a device that was never designed with that intention). If you look at major mfg. cruise controls you will notice the entire system is designed from the ground up with the C.C. in mind- I believe it can be retrofitted just as well and perhaps even better but not being able to have certain sizes / tolerances within my control is problematic.

Brian

Brian, what about that development of yours? we (I) haven't heard much of it lately  ???

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »
I have the same problem with my switch. It comes on very late. I just put my foot on that block of wood that they call a rear brake to activate the light. It's about the only thing it's good for anyway. A manual brake light actuator.