Author Topic: Yup. New tires.  (Read 11654 times)

Breaker19

Yup. New tires.
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
So there I was, heading out to the truck for an appointment, I look back into the garage and I see a little dot on the back tire of my C14... damn blasted screw in the rear tire. This is the OE Bridgestone tires. I think, well... I'm taking off Saturday morning to head up to NC for a week worth of riding, I really wanted to wear these OE tires out before replacing them. But I bet those PR's would be oh-so-fine on the trip... so I plugged the tire, jacked it up with air (it was at 16 psi) and called my local dealer, who smartly installed two PR2's. So yup, new tires. 'Stones are gone, Micheline's are on! Now, if I get a nail or screw in these tires, I am going to be really pissed!

Offline mvjr1904

Re: Yup. New tires.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »
How many miles did you have on the OE tires?  I'm leaning towards PR2 when the time comes.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my OE tires last at least 7K.  I mainly ride highway miles to work so i'm hoping for the best.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Breaker19

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
How many miles did you have on the OE tires?  I'm leaning towards PR2 when the time comes.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my OE tires last at least 7K.  I mainly ride highway miles to work so i'm hoping for the best.

I only had like 2375 miles on the OE's, but the rear tire was flattening out in the center pretty noticeably. I'd have run the tires down to the wear bars, but like I said, fate intervened... lol

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »

7k? Good luck with that.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
PR2's are the best tire for the money IMHO.  The PR3's are great too, but they are also an extra $40 for a tire that didn't last as long for me (about 1000 miles less).
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Breaker19

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
Well, it's the information from this forum and over at the COG forum in regards to tire discussions that educated me towards the PR2's so I thank everyone who has run these tires for voicing their experiences, past and present. It helps immensely to have such information for decision making.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
I purchased Zurich road hazard insurance when I bought my bike for around $320. I had 2 rear flats since, so it has already paid for itself. It covers 5 years unlimited mileage. Non transferable. All labor included.
Joel from Maine.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:23:36 PM »
I was quoted 250. for a mounted PR2 front tire at Fremont, Ca. Kawasaki- is this a ridiculous price? I was going to get tires before going to the MotoGP at Laguna Seca this weekend.

Offline W14

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 04:30:20 AM »
$250 is high, tires should not cost any more than $125, dealer installs can go as high as $100 - the dealer is getting you on both the tires and installation

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 05:45:48 AM »
I know things get a little more spendy in California but that is crazy. I bought my last pair of PR2's and had them mounted for $290.00......for the pair not just a front. Ask your dealer if he planned on kissing you before or after he f&*%ed you.

Just to clarify, I did pull the wheels off and reinstall them myself. If you are having them do ALL the labor you will have to pay more but $250.00 for JUST a front is still way out of line.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »
The dealer said that the front fender had to come off and it takes an hour labor- it seems everything on a bike costs 3x what a car would cost.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 07:51:04 AM »
The dealer said that the front fender had to come off and it takes an hour labor- it seems everything on a bike costs 3x what a car would cost.

Time for a new dealer me thinks.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 07:52:20 AM »

I put on my tires without touching the fender.........in my garage.  All they have to do is lift the front after the rear wheel come off and use a jack or an extra buddy to hold the bike.  You can save a bunch of money by bringing your wheels in, it really is a quick and easy job. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Breaker19

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »

That's total BS about the fender, you ought to complain to the owner about that and if not there, then to your state DMV. They're trying to rape you.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
That's total BS about the fender, you ought to complain to the owner about that and if not there, then to your state DMV. They're trying to rape you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That. Get the sheriff on the phone quick.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
7k? Good luck with that.

6K on my BTs... I have at least another 2K before the flat spot is too much. PR2s are my next investment.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 11:00:28 AM »
6K on my BTs... I have at least another 2K before the flat spot is too much. PR2s are my next investment.

Mine were toast at ~4.5k

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
I think the cooler temps here in the PNW, along with my basic commuting that never fully warms the tires (6 miles each way), all contribute to my tire life. Same on my Duc, I could pull 9-10K off a rear (Pilot Powers, at that) before the flat spot was unbearable...

Of course, this is JUST a theory.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »
I think I got right at 7,250 miles on my 021's. They were fried, especially the front.

Went with the PR3's and have about 3,000-3,500 (need to look when I get home). Slight flattening of the rear, but front looks fine. Dealership charged me about $425 to pull the old and install the new. I live too far from a dealer and just rode in when I was in town rather than pull them and carrry them in my auto.

Leaving in the morning for a Hill Country weekend!!
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline JerBear

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
I just got a PR3 yesterday (carry in price) of $245 for a 55 profile tire.  Last summer it was $248 for a PR2 50 profile and they took it off.  I save 30-40 dollars bringing it in and they change it whilke I wait (no appointment needed).
2008 C14 Non-ABS