Author Topic: Opened her up yesterday:)  (Read 5865 times)

Offline TJ

Opened her up yesterday:)
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:43 PM »
 :) Was riding on a on ramp and in 2nd gear going about 50 and nailed it then hit 3rd then looked at the speedo :o

Need less to say I was impressed. Previous rides included a ZRX 1200 and a Yamaha FZ1 and the Concours is at least as quick as either of them. Plus it has the advantage of being able to keep the front wheel on the ground, something the ZRX and FZ1 could not do if I snapped the throttle in 2nd. So taking that into consideration it is even faster because I am able to open the throttle earlier and keep it open.

Wanted a faster bike than my 2005 Wing and found it. One of these days will add a top notch cruise control and a top box and maybe highway pegs and my perfect motorcycle will be in this old mans garage.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline mayday

Re: Opened her up yesterday:)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
kinda did the same but took it up to about 9,000 and hit 2nd and grabbed a hand full the the front came up off the ground  :yikes:  Loving the power this bike has also. Have fun with her.

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »
Remove the flies, put an exhaust and fuel adjustment of some kind and it will blow your mind. My bike in second when I gun it will easily pull that wheel up very quickly. Doing the above mods will change this bike radically.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:42:39 PM »
09 flies out AreaP Full exhaust, PC-V.  No problems bringing the front tire up in second.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Damaged Goods

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:04:12 AM »
Any advice on removing the flies, do you have to make any adjustments when you do this? By flies are you talking about the upper butterfly valves in the throttle body?

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
09 flies out AreaP Full exhaust, PC-V.  No problems bringing the front tire up in second.

I experience the same thing except I notice a huge difference in performance based on outside temps...  Normal 100 degrees plus (in AZ) then first gear no prob but not really second gear...  60 degrees and cooler second gear watch out front will be coming up.

Offline Hayeshfc

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 12:00:50 AM »
No need to pull the butterflies - simply remove the ECU, send it to Guhl motors along with a check for $375 plus whatever shipping is, they will reprogram it to open the 'flies earlier and remap if you have aftermarket exhaust, and you will pick up 20+ ftlbs of torque from ~3k to 6K where the flies open from the normal tune. You also get another 5-6 HP earlier. Do not do this if:
1: you like riding w/o traction control engaged - and -
2: you like both wheels in contact with the pavement.

If you leave t/c engaged you will experience launches not-to-be-believed on anything other than a Hayabusa or ZX-14.

Best farkle on my long list of enhancements....

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:16:27 AM »
No need to pull the butterflies - simply remove the ECU, send it to Guhl motors along with a check for $375 plus whatever shipping is, they will reprogram it to open the 'flies earlier and remap if you have aftermarket exhaust, and you will pick up 20+ ftlbs of torque from ~3k to 6K where the flies open from the normal tune. You also get another 5-6 HP earlier. Do not do this if:

If you leave t/c engaged you will experience launches not-to-be-believed on anything other than a Hayabusa or ZX-14.

20 lb ft is a huge amount.  Do you have a dyno graph showing that? 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »
No need to pull the butterflies - simply remove the ECU, send it to Guhl motors along with a check for $375 plus whatever shipping is, they will reprogram it to open the 'flies earlier and remap if you have aftermarket exhaust,"

If you mean a whole exhaust system that is one thing.  But just replacing the muffler?  I doubt that will matter in the reprogramming.

>" and you will pick up 20+ ftlbs of torque from ~3k to 6K where the flies open from the normal tune. "

20??????!!  You are talking some really big numbers, there...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 09:22:08 AM »

Pulling the flies is free.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »

I hate to repeat this quote (because it is used against me all the time) but:

"It is free only if your time is worth nothing"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »
It took me less than 5 minutes.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 08:59:34 AM »
I dont think it took me over an hour to pull the flies and add a power commander V.  I've seen the dyno charts from the mod, but more importantly it was very noticeable when riding.  I'm sure the reflash will yield a similar result, but its worthwhile to do either one.

I woudl imagien it will run nicely with the stock pipe.  I have the Leo Vince slip on. It is pretty, but I dont think it does anythign for power production.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »

But how much is the Power Commander that you're going to need?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
there are plenty of guys running flyless w/o a power commander.

But to your point mine was much less than a reflash and I'm not worried about warranty issues.

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »
How would pulling the flies effect ECO mode on the 2010 and newer bikes?  The reflash leaves the ECO mode uneffected.  I would not want to lose my cruising range do to this change.
Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
I ran without flies and no power commander, and it can be done.  But, once one was added, holy crap!  Power wa sup again, and so was low end smoothness.  So yea, it costs a few bucks, btu is forgotten as soon as the throttle opens.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »

You can remove all the necessary fairings, remove the gas tank, remove the secondary butterflies, and put all the fairings back in 5 minutes????  Wow- I need you as my mechanic!

Damaged Goods

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 06:27:11 AM »
Would not want him as my mechanic, something is missing and damaged before its put back together.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 06:24:53 AM »
As I recall it's only about a dozen easily accessed bolts and a few push rivets.  Perhaps you shouldn't work on your bike.