Author Topic: POP goes the gasket?  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Tabasco Powered

POP goes the gasket?
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »
About 3 months ago, I'm driving in 1st gear on my '09 C14 (and because I follow all you guys, I added a juice box, K&N air filter and Two Bros Racing exhaust). I wind the bike into the high RPMs and just before shifting to 2nd gear, the bike lurches, a hear a "POP" and then about two weeks later, I start seeing and smelling oil burning (least, that's what I thought). 

Two trips to the dealer found nothing but I continued smelling and seeing smoke on start-up and at idle.  About a week later, a gasket (sorry don't know which one exactly) blows on the freeway and I'm driving on one less cylnder. The dealer repaces the gasket under warranty and life goes on.   

Last night, same thing: high revs in first, then a lurch and pop. I'm planning a 1,200 mile ride through Ave. of The Giants soon and don't want to take any risks.

Does the C14 have some sort of protection mechanism if you rev too high?

Are there known issues with gaskets blowing?

I diconnected the juice box due to mileage and dealer concerns over warranty repairs the first time.  Any ideas would be helpful.  Thanks.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: POP goes the gasket?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
Not enough info.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »
To compute.  We need to know which gasket went.  I would think you would have some sort of paperwork on what gasket they replaced such as a part number. 

Your issue is totally uncommon with us.  Sorry.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tabasco Powered

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »
To compute.  We need to know which gasket went.  I would think you would have some sort of paperwork on what gasket they replaced such as a part number. 

Fair enough. I'll dig up the repair order to flesh out the details, but it's reassuring to know this isn't commonplace.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Breaker19

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »
Does the C14 have some sort of protection mechanism if you rev too high?

Yea, you'll know it activated when a rod comes through the block...  ;D

On a serious note, like the others said, we have no clue without knowing which gasket was replaced. Too many variables otherwise.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
Fair enough. I'll dig up the repair order to flesh out the details, but it's reassuring to know this isn't commonplace.

Oh, it is definitely not common.  Yours is the first post I have ever seen about blowing a gasket.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
I would think that any oil related gasket blowing out problem would be something big. 
how is it building that much pressure in the oil system to blow a gasket out?

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
I would think the only gasket you could blow that would cause a cylinder to go away would be the head gasket.  There are oil passages that run through that gasket, which would also explain the oil leaking.

As for the protection from over revving, the rev limiter does that.  However, I test mine almost every time I ride, and after 24K miles, it still works great.   :)

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 01:15:29 PM »
I would think the only gasket you could blow that would cause a cylinder to go away would be the head gasket.  There are oil passages that run through that gasket, which would also explain the oil leaking.

As for the protection from over revving, the rev limiter does that.  However, I test mine almost every time I ride, and after 24K miles, it still works great.   :)

thats what i'm thinking, head gasket!  maybe a clogged oil passage???

Offline Tabasco Powered

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »

Ok, I just spoke with the mechanic. They had to replace two gaskets: the "head cover gasket" and the "valve cover gasket." I don't have the part numbers because they have different staff on the weekends then they do during the weekdays. Does that help? Either way, I guess I'll know if the problem occurs again if I start smelling burning oil. And I just finished a farkle-fest (Corbin seat, HeliBars, Clearwater Lights, Givi LEDs, etc...)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
Damn, lot of high end farkles just to have the engine go south.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 05:44:02 PM »
Hi revs pop the valve cover gasket?  Something else is wrong with that engine.  That ain't normal.  What kind of pressure would blow a valve cover gasket me wonders?  And a head gasket as well?  Maybe they just replaced the valve cover gasket cause they had to take it off to get to the other one?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
That's what I'm thinking. They replaced the valve cover gasket since they had to take it off to get to the head. Definitely not common. Since it happened twice, I would think that you have a bad head or worse, the mating surface on the engine itself. I would think that the warranty would call for an engine replacement if it happens again. 

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
BTW, I've never heard of a head gasket referred to as a head cover gasket.  Is that what they told you, or are you just paraphrasing what they said?

BTW, replacing a head gasket is not a simple task on these bikes.  I'd be curious as to how many hours of labor they charged to the warranty.  You should have a receipt that details everything they did, including labor.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »
Also, perhaps check the battery in your KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Breaker19

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 07:46:41 PM »
Absolutely. I just looked at the parts fiche. That's a head gasket blowout. WTF! There's usually one reason for a BHG (blown head gasket) and that's overheating. I bet that motor is toast. Sorry to say.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »
Sorry for what sounds like possible bad news on your engine but what's a juice box?

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 08:17:11 AM »
yes i hit my rev limiter the other day racing some kids on their 750 gsxr's .  I bet they were wondering what bike with bags just toasted them.   

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »
I've bounced mine off the limiter several times. That's what it's there for. To protect the engine.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »
I wonder what this 'juice box' is. I wonder if it is a PC5 or something of that sort that lets you defeat the rev limiter, which ultimately killed the engine.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14