Author Topic: Question about ProjektD helmet lock  (Read 7820 times)

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Question about ProjektD helmet lock
« on: June 20, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »
http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=163

Does this work with Fred's Rack?  Looking at their site, I really don't get how it installs.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Question about ProjektD helmet lock
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
Looking at their site, I really don't get how it installs.

It is installed under the rack, pinched between the rack and the mount below it.  They supply longer bolts in the kit.  I believe it will work fine with a longer rack (one that hangs off the back more) but only by an inch or 1.5" or so more.  Otherwise, it will start becoming difficult to get the key in there.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
I agree with Max, there should be no fitment issues.

If you need pics, let me know.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »
I agree with Max, there should be no fitment issues.

If you need pics, let me know.
I have Phil's rack mounted about 2" back and I have no issues with this helmet lock.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
I'd love to see pics.

Gumbi, I have mine mounted in the normal holes, I didn't know you could change the positioning....  can you take pics?
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 04:30:04 AM »
I'd love to see pics.

Gumbi, I have mine mounted in the normal holes, I didn't know you could change the positioning....  can you take pics?

Looks like you got 'em.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
Thanks.  I assume the fact that you have non-standard rack mounts doesn't really affect the helmet locks then and it'd look the same with the rack mounted directly where the OEM rack goes?

And is there somewhere to get this domestically?  $25 to ship a $50 part is painful.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »
Thanks.  I assume the fact that you have non-standard rack mounts doesn't really affect the helmet locks then and it'd look the same with the rack mounted directly where the OEM rack goes?

Exactly

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

And is there somewhere to get this domestically?  $25 to ship a $50 part is painful.

If it makes you feel any better, pretend the item is $75.00 w/free shipping. The convenience of this helmet lock is well worth the $75 I paid for it. :) FYIY, Mine arrived ~5 days after ordering it...

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
GRIN!  :)  Sadly I work for an international marketing company and I'm awfully jaded on the shipping thing... once I've seen a price, my brain is locked in.  If ProjektD had a 75 price on the item and said "free shipping to the US" I'd probably bite.  But since I've seen the price, I need to look around first.  LOL  There are other options out there, things that bar mount, etc.. and since I'll have the canyon cages soon, that's an option.  I get that it's awfully convenient.  There are other options that are convenient too that are in that 50 range, or less.  What may be worth 75 in a world without alternatives is worth less than 50 in a world WITH alternatives, I guess.

For giggles I speced out an order of 5 units to see what the shipping would be...their shipping is almost linear!  That's just crazy.  I'd have ordered 5 of them and resold the rest.  :D
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
GRIN!  :)  Sadly I work for an international marketing company and I'm awfully jaded on the shipping thing... once I've seen a price, my brain is locked in.  If ProjektD had a 75 price on the item and said "free shipping to the US" I'd probably bite.  But since I've seen the price, I need to look around first.  LOL  There are other options out there, things that bar mount, etc.. and since I'll have the canyon cages soon, that's an option.  I get that it's awfully convenient.  There are other options that are convenient too that are in that 50 range, or less.  What may be worth 75 in a world without alternatives is worth less than 50 in a world WITH alternatives, I guess.

For giggles I speced out an order of 5 units to see what the shipping would be...their shipping is almost linear!  That's just crazy.  I'd have ordered 5 of them and resold the rest.  :D

I'm the same way. When I buy something online, I usually expect it to include free/discounted shipping. My Projekt D purchase was a struggle also.

Yes, there ARE alternatives. However, those alternatives are much less convenient and attractive than the Projekt D solution. I would rather spend $25 more on shipping and be happy with my purchase than spending $25 less for a compromise; YMMV.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »

I'm with you on the hard to swallow shipping charges but you're not going to find an alternative that looks so very much like a stock helmet lock. Find some other items that you like from ProjektD so you can spread those charges around a bit.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »
Screw it, y'all talked me into it.  LOL  I was going to add the head light protection, but that added SIXTY bucks to the shipping.  Insanity.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »
Installed under a Premier rack pushed all the way back.  They are tucked up under there but still easy to use.

Be sure to lube up the cylinders.  They get pretty cruddy when riding in rain or dirt.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »
Installed under a Premier rack pushed all the way back.  They are tucked up under there but still easy to use.

Be sure to lube up the cylinders.  They get pretty cruddy when riding in rain or dirt.

+1, that's the same set-up that I have. I don't get much crap under there though, maybe because I have a rear hugger?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, pretend the item is $75.00 w/free shipping. The convenience of this helmet lock is well worth the $75 I paid for it. :) FYIY, Mine arrived ~5 days after ordering it...

+1

I have purchased a lot of accessories that seem to cost more but have less value.  It is a great product.

I know it can be hard to swallow shipping sometimes.  Some vendors really just use it as part of the selling price.  Ebay is a perfect example of that....  many make all their profit from the shipping and none on the item at all.  Just look at the total price and think of that as the unit price- works great (unless you have to buy more than one, in which case you should contact the vendor and might be surprised that many will adjust it down for you).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 07:31:10 AM »
I think this goes down as one of the fastest farkles in the world. Lol.  Got it pretty quick, installed in under 5 minutes.  Seems a pretty quality unit. 
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 07:36:06 AM »
I think this goes down as one of the fastest farkles in the world. Lol.  Got it pretty quick, installed in under 5 minutes.  Seems a pretty quality unit.

Told ya.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »