Author Topic: Linked Brakes Question???  (Read 5977 times)

Offline Scaffolder

Linked Brakes Question???
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
Are the linked brakes on the 2011 and 2012s the same as they are on my 2010?
I love the idea of abs and traction control, but I can't stand the feel on the brakes on this compared to how the 2008 non abs I had. I also had to change my brake pads at 20,000 miles on the 2010 abs compared to 40,000 miles on the 2008 non abs. But only one side was worn out in the front(throttle side.)
Joel from Maine.

Offline Tarheelbob

Re: Linked Brakes Question???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »
Yes.

If you want non-linked brakes on the C-14, you need an '08 or '09. I love the brake feel on my '09 ABS. Of all the nice upgrades on the 2010+ models, I like the linked brakes the least.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
Well just maybe there is something wrong with the 2010 I have. I need to try the new one I guess. I hate the grabby feel it delivers.

Joel from Maine.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »
If you want non-linked brakes on the C-14, you need an '08 or '09. I love the brake feel on my '09 ABS. Of all the nice upgrades on the 2010+ models, I like the linked brakes the least.

:goodpost: :thumbs:

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
I like all the other perks the 2010 had over my old 2008. Even though I loved them both. 2010 wins by a mile.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »
Well just maybe there is something wrong with the 2010 I have. I need to try the new one I guess. I hate the grabby feel it delivers.

mine isn't acting that way (wearing one side of the brakes).

when i ride in the "aggressive" linked brake mode, it acts a little grabby. but I don't use that mode when raising %$%& in the mountains, but i use it all the time 2-up around town.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 09:57:52 AM »

As best as I can tell they all do it.  But only when applying the rears.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »
It feels great most the time. When I am sitting in Boston traffic it is at it's worst. It happens with just the front brake as well. And I keep it in light load mode.
Does the link brake only apply the throttle side front or both fronts?
Joel from Maine.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »
has anyone tried to unlink linked brakes?  pull a fuse or something.  one day I would like to upgrade to a newer c14 but the linked brakes are a deal breaker for me

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »
has anyone tried to unlink linked brakes?  pull a fuse or something.  one day I would like to upgrade to a newer c14 but the linked brakes are a deal breaker for me
I would bet that it wouldn't be that tough to scavenge the parts from a 08 or 09 Connie to do that. You would need the abs module & everything brake related. Buying the parts new would be cost prohibitive.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »
I don't mind the linked breaks. I don't trail brake with the rear much at all. I personally like the idea of hitting the fronts and having the rear activate. I keep the bike in low linked mode and the fronts don't dive terribly much when I tap the rear only. 
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »
I have a question about those linked brakes:
how do they work?
I mean, what exactly happens when pressing the brake lever with my right hand? Does it activate the brakes on both wheels?
is it the same when pressing the brake pedal, or are there differences in the effect of each control?
When pulling the hand lever, am I providing the pressure for the front, and the ABS pump providing the pressure for the rear?
If somebody can enlighten me, I'd be thankful...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 11:32:46 PM »
Easiest way to find out would be look at the service manual. I'm sure the linked function is diagrammed in it.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Service manual??  Linked brakes are probably mentioned in the owners manual. I remember getting one when I purchesed my C14.  Can't remember where I left it, maybe its with all my maps??
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
Maybe its because I don't have that much experience on other bikes but my 2010 stops far better then any other bike I have ever ridden.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
Easiest way to find out would be look at the service manual. I'm sure the linked function is diagrammed in it.

I'm sure it would, if I had a '10 or newer. I have an '08, hence the question. And to be honest, even if I had such manual: no, it's easier to ask  ;D

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »
The linked system is discussed in the owners manual.....a little. Basically, applying front brake activates light rear braking. Applying relatively heavy rear brake activates the front brakes on one rotor (the throttle side, I think). So, in a sense you can control the amount of front or rear braking by using one over the other in terms of greater pressure. But I don't think there's any practical difference when riding, and I wish there was a switch available to activate or disable the linked system. I prefer to have control over both brakes independently.

OTOH, the system does a good job of keeping the bike balanced and stable, so I use the pedal the same way I would in a non-linked system, for trail braking on curves. The system applies some braking in front, and the bike rides though the curves beautifully. Around town, I don't even bother using the rear brake.

Offline pistole

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »
- i feel that the issue with the linked brakes is not the linking in itself , but the abruptness in which the front brakes are brought into the mix when using the rear brake pedal.

- there is almost nothing when you dab the rear brake pedal. Then a bit more rear , then suddenly the front kicks in.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »
I love these brakes. Even though I can't feel any difference between modes I find the front end dive is the least of any bike I have ridden. Trail Braking on this bike at first seems impossible but I believe it is easier due to the linking since activating either control works the system consistently. In combo with the tetra-lever shaft upseting a properly set suspension takes work.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 02:42:22 AM »
SeaLevel, thanks for the explanation.
Personally I think that engaging the rear brake when actuating the hand lever is a good thing in this bike; I find this big Kawa a bit oversensitive to load changes fore/aft and it's particularly obvious in tight hairpins, which added to the on/off nature of the gas makes it rather abrupt. Applying a dab of rear brake goes a long way by taking up the slack of the drive train and compressing the rear suspension just before accelerating out of the curve.
Since my bike does not have the linked brakes I have to remember to apply the rear myself and on right hand hairpins means leaving some lean angle for the pedal stroke  :-\ Having the rear brake on my hand should be a good thing, but this is just a theory since I haven't tried it. I guess I should...  :)