Author Topic: Why are the rear accessory wires low voltage?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline BS-in-KS

Why are the rear accessory wires low voltage?
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
Anyone have an idea why that rear accessory wire hookup would be reading 3.5 volts instead of 12v?  Was planning on that to trigger my Fuzeblock. Starting to move my comms system to the back to see if that helps to clean up the sound and will need something to trigger the Fuzeblock when I turn on the bike so if anyone can help me figure this one out that'd be great! Or else a suggestion of another switched power point under the seat somewhere close to tap would work too.

Thanks!
Brent S.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Why are the rear accessory wires low voltage?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
Are you measuring with the ignition on or off? With the ignition on they should have 12V
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »
Are you sure that you're checking the right wires? I seem to remember that there were other wires back there that have been mistaken for the Acc power.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »
Measured with the power off both barrel plugs read 0. With the power on, one (black with yellow stripe) reads as ground (ohms test) and other (gray wire) reads 3.5ish volts.  It's entirely possible that I'm looking at the wrong wires. They are the only ones loose with barrel plug connections that look like the front ones though so I... um... assumed they were the rear accessory wires.

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
Thanks Ray!  :-[  Found'em under the ECU or whatever that computer cluster is back there.  Ziptied to the wire bundle that the previous owner must've done when he added LED brakelight strips to the saddle bags.  And that's what happens when I get in a hurry to dive in and at the same time think I've already figured out all the angles I needed to before.  Time to crack a second beer and do a little more planning me thinks. And then get my butt to bed!

Thanks again guys!
Brent S.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:10:40 PM »
although I do condone having a tasty barley bev while working on the bike, I have to say that probing wires without a bonified manual, or knowledge of the system, may prove dangerous...., the wires you probed are actually ones used for diagnostics, and you likely cleared anything registered by the probing....oooooopsy

no harm, no foul, just ask before doing stuff , not after the fact..... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
this forum rocks for helpful information
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »
The accessory wires are in the same area as the testing leads, and are 12v.  At least on the 08.  I doubt that you caused any harm if you just use a mulitimeter, unless you were applying voltage to the wires.  It's been a while since I've dug around back there.  IIRC, the wires may be hidden inside a rubber/plastic weartherproofing sheath protecting bundled wires, as that is how the front acc wires are hidden / protected.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
Thanks Ray!  :-[  Found'em under the ECU or whatever that computer cluster is back there.  Ziptied to the wire bundle that the previous owner must've done when he added LED brakelight strips to the saddle bags.  And that's what happens when I get in a hurry to dive in and at the same time think I've already figured out all the angles I needed to before.  Time to crack a second beer and do a little more planning me thinks. And then get my butt to bed!

Thanks again guys!
Brent S.

No problem. I seem to remember that I kept wanting to use them too...

although I do condone having a tasty barley bev while working on the bike, I have to say that probing wires without a bonified manual, or knowledge of the system, may prove dangerous...., the wires you probed are actually ones used for diagnostics, and you likely cleared anything registered by the probing....oooooopsy

no harm, no foul, just ask before doing stuff , not after the fact..... ;)

Hey MOB... Brent just has a new baseline for capturing codes.

RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i