Author Topic: tried the stock seat again  (Read 11113 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

tried the stock seat again
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
Seems  I can't get comfortable on any seat I have tried. Put the stock one back on today and went for a 150 mile to the mountains to cool off. It was only 75 in Big Bear and about 100 where I live. The seat was better than I last remembered but after about 80 miles when I got off the bike my legs were sore. Put the Saddleman back on for the ride tomorrow, so far it is the best but still needs a little more padding, which I think I'll have done to it next week. The ride was great, 150 miles of twisty roads and great temps. Well at least once I got to the mountains.  :) Averaged 44.5 MPG playing in the hills today, not bad. I think it gets better mileage in the heat and higher altitude.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline GVmerle

Re: tried the stock seat again
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
Have you ever thought about a Cee Bailey seat?  I looked at the web site after I got my Rick Mayer seat.  I have heard motor officers have their seats built by Cee Bailey but don't know if that is true.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »
I find that my legs get sore simply because they are confined to an unnatural position for long periods of time. However, I do notice "hot spots" on the stock seat around the inner part of my thighs. Someone suggested wearing padded bicycling shorts under my gear instead of boxers or briefs. If I go on a long trip this season, I might give it a try.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:53:53 AM »
GVmerle
I looked at the Cee Bailey seats on the Internet, they look good but I didn't know anyone who tried them. Might have to check with local law enforcement, they ride C14's. How do you like your Rick Mayer seat?

OregonLAN
That's exactly where the hot spots are on me also I might give the padded bicycle shorts a short.
Thank you both for the replies

Offline stratochile

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 06:08:09 AM »
I know it doesn't look great but i covered mine w/ sheepskin ....soft , plush and breathable....a bought a whole pelt for $75 bucks and trimmed and velcro too fit

Offline curly

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 06:45:06 AM »
Corbin and Airhawk combo = all day comfort. Butts are very subjective. What one loves another will hate. The problem is trying them all to find the right one will quickly drain bank accounts.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »
We are thinking about going the sheepskin route on the stocker...  but not just a pad.  I want a full sized cover... 

The baldwin GT does look like a dreram seat though.  My girl would probably like it too because she wants to sit higher than me so she can see better. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:18:12 AM »
I find that my legs get sore simply because they are confined to an unnatural position for long periods of time. However, I do notice "hot spots" on the stock seat around the inner part of my thighs. Someone suggested wearing padded bicycling shorts under my gear. 

The inner thigh soreness is usually indicative of a seat that is too wide.  When I cut my seat down on my last bike (ZRX) I started having a lot of problems with that.  Something like Ronnie's highway pegs can also solve that issue for longer trips.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tabasco Powered

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
Corbin and Airhawk combo = all day comfort. Butts are very subjective. What one loves another will hate. The problem is trying them all to find the right one will quickly drain bank accounts.

Hi Curly,

What size Airhawk do you use with your Corbin, the Medium cruiser? I just bought a Corbin and want to get the right Airhawk, but the Medium is about 2 inches wider than what the Corbin measures on the website.

Thanks in advance.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 01:00:20 PM »
Seems  I can't get comfortable on any seat I have tried. Put the stock one back on today and went for a 150 mile to the mountains to cool off. It was only 75 in Big Bear and about 100 where I live. The seat was better than I last remembered but after about 80 miles when I got off the bike my legs were sore. Put the Saddleman back on for the ride tomorrow, so far it is the best but still needs a little more padding, which I think I'll have done to it next week. The ride was great, 150 miles of twisty roads and great temps. Well at least once I got to the mountains.  :) Averaged 44.5 MPG playing in the hills today, not bad. I think it gets better mileage in the heat and higher altitude.

Darn I like the look of that seat!!  What model is it?  I sold the Corbin I picked up from you in Yuma a while back and went with a Sargent which I have been relatively happy with.  Did 2000 mile round trip to the WSB races and the return was one day 800 miles.  I don't think any seat would be comfortable for that long.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
Darn I like the look of that seat!!  What model is it?  I sold the Corbin I picked up from you in Yuma a while back and went with a Sargent which I have been relatively happy with.  Did 2000 mile round trip to the WSB races and the return was one day 800 miles.  I don't think any seat would be comfortable for that long.
That seat is a saddleman, it is a nice seat and the passenger part is higher than stock and feels great.  I just wish they would have used the same padding on the rider part. But like all seats, it takes a little time to break in. I did another 180 miles today and wasn't to bad. I'm still going to have a little bit of memory foam added to it.
P.S. it wasn't me that you got the Corbin from, must be another Joe. I haven't tried the Corbin yet. They are not to far from where I live in Calif. I might take a road trip and have one made if this doesn't pan out.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
I will also advise trying an Alaskan Sheepskin. I found that it evened out the support and removed the hot spots. I believe it makes any seat more comfortable. My only complaint is that it collects dust and small pieces of debri and needs to be shaken out now and then.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 08:19:28 PM »
GVmerle
I looked at the Cee Bailey seats on the Internet, they look good but I didn't know anyone who tried them. Might have to check with local law enforcement, they ride C14's. How do you like your Rick Mayer seat?

Joe, I am very pleased with the Rick Mayer seat.  I have made two long trips, 2000+ miles since having it built and have no complaints. Personally, I found Rick very easy to work with and got a tour of his estate.

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
I have both the Corbin and the Sargent. I can say that the Sargent needs nothing else, it felt good from the start. I like the Corbin because of the way it looks and because I like leather, it just feels good. Unfortunately the seating position and shape make it uncomfortable in comparison to the Sargent. On smooth roads the Corbin doesn't bother me, but throw bumps in, and it beats the wrong parts leaving me in pain. There is too much rise in the front for the riding position putting too much pressure on the soft parts. Had they retained the original seating position, it wouldn't be bad, unfortunately they chose to make you sit farther back and a tad lower causing you to lean over more. Risers do not help this for me, risers were rather uncomfortable for me since it just felt as if my arms were higher and felt uncomfortable on long trips. (800+ mile days.)

I put the Sargent back on last week after a particularly uncomfortable weekend last week and felt more comfortable immediately. I am considering having it recovered in leather. I have also considered continuing breaking in the Corbin, but am not sure any more breaking in would help its issues. I have over 3000 miles on it and my experience is that soft parts don't break in a seat, that issue is best accomplished through proper seat position and shape.

The verdict is still out for me, I have not decided what to do but I will say that out of the box, the Sargent is a very comfortable seat.

Offline curly

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
Hi Curly,

What size Airhawk do you use with your Corbin, the Medium cruiser? I just bought a Corbin and want to get the right Airhawk, but the Medium is about 2 inches wider than what the Corbin measures on the website.

Thanks in advance.

I'm preety sure it's the medium and it fits perfect. If I find out otherwise I will let you know.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.