Author Topic: Rotella Synth Oil Analysis  (Read 12393 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Rotella Synth Oil Analysis
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »
I have been using Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W40 in all my bikes for the last 12 yearss or more.. Great results in my 99 VFR which now has 128,000 miles and runs as great as when new and which uses no measureable oil between 6000 mile changes. Recently there was a post here reporting oil analysis results of the same oil on a C14 posted on another forum that were not so good and someone made the conclusion that Rotella was not adequate for the C14. Concerned, I decided to get my oil analyzed. I submitted a sample to Blackstone Labs from my 08 C14 at 72551 miles after 5803 miles normal but varied riding.

The report comments:
ROBERT: This first sample from your Concours is looking really good. Universal averages show typical
wear levels for this type of engine after about 3,000 miles on the oil. That fact that wear metals are looking
this good after almost twice as long on the oil as average shows an engine that is wearing very well. A little
fuel dilution was present, but that's not unusual in bikes, and 0.5% isn't cautionary. The viscosity was in the
5W/30 range. Fuel may have thinned it out a little. The TBN was strong at 6.2 showing lots of active additive
remaining. Try 8,000 miles on the next oil.

I have not yet read their detailed numbers explanation but needless to say I am very pleased with the results and plan to resume use of Rotella.

The oil currently in the crankcase is Motul "real" esther synthetic 300V 15W50 at slightly more than twice the cost of the Rotella. I have asked for a sample bottle and will have this oil analyzed at a similar interval and report back.

BTW, I have not noticed any difference in performamce  (or notchyness).

Let me see if I can attach the report
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
Re: Rotella Synth Oil Analysis
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:22:29 PM »
Great finding.  I always feel good using Rotella. 
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline katata1100

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »
after about 3,000 miles on the oil. That fact that wear metals are looking
this good after almost twice as long on the oil as average shows an engine that is wearing very well. A little
fuel dilution was present, but that's not unusual in bikes, and 0.5% isn't cautionary. The viscosity was in the
5W/30 range.

So, after 3k miles, it sheered down to a 5-30w? Mama Kawa specs at least 40w on the upper end of viscosity. In summer riding here where it gets pretty hot, I'll stick with something that actually holds up. Whenever I am riding in Las Vegas, there is lots of traffic and even though it might only be 113 degrees, in traffic with all the cars putting out heat, it is hotter and I think this bike needs higher than 5-30 oil.

Offline PH14

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »
So, after 3k miles, it sheered down to a 5-30w? Mama Kawa specs at least 40w on the upper end of viscosity. In summer riding here where it gets pretty hot, I'll stick with something that actually holds up. Whenever I am riding in Las Vegas, there is lots of traffic and even though it might only be 113 degrees, in traffic with all the cars putting out heat, it is hotter and I think this bike needs higher than 5-30 oil.

All oils will thin out as they are used. The engineers who write the specs for an engine know this and allow for it, which is why they call for a certain oil. It isn't something you have to think about.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
The oil sheared to 5w30 after 5803 miles.  I would be willing to bet that 10w40 of another brand would have sheared down as well at that mileage.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »
The 3000 figure is apparently the averaghe of samples received by Blackstone for this type engine, mine went  a bit over 5800 and performed better than the 3000 mile average. Blackstone suggests I go 8000 miles. In other words, the  $22.00 per gallon Rotella "HELD UP" pretty well. Can't wait to see how the $55.00 per gallon Motul does.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »
Betcha the Rotella will have the better results than the Motul. Since the Rotella was designed for diesel engines (read severe service and shear), I would think the surviving a motorcycle engine/transmission would be a cake walk.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I have been using Rotela in my bikes and ATV's for years also and have wondered if I am being penny wise and pound foolish. I will be very interested in seeing the report on Motul.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 04:13:25 AM »
here is my 5k mile mobil 1 4t 10/40 for comparison. not sure what any of this means, not sure if it helps.  ???

Joel

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 04:23:49 AM »
Good feedback!  Thanks!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 08:11:56 AM »
Betcha the Rotella will have the better results than the Motul. S

Betcha it won't. Rotella is dino oil, group III HC dino oil, which breaks down. Real synthetics (like Motul which has ester and pao oil) don't.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:56 AM »
THANKS for sharing these fine results.

Oil thread with conclusive data.... now this is SERIOUS
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »
Betcha it won't. Rotella is dino oil, group III HC dino oil, which breaks down. Real synthetics (like Motul which has ester and pao oil) don't.

I'm a fan of MOTUL too, but hey I throw Rotella Synth in the Connie at a fraction of the cost  and change it long before break down.  52,000 and going strong...whats it matter
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »

Proof to back that up, and that the difference is substantial?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline r2t2

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
I'm a fan of MOTUL too, but hey I throw Rotella Synth in the Connie at a fraction of the cost  and change it long before break down.  52,000 and going strong...whats it matter

So glad we have choices... I've run Motul and many other M/C specific synthetics in all of my bikes for the past 10+ years. But I always find that they like the Rotella better. The only downside I find with the old Rotella T (now I think it's the T5) is that is stank just a wee bit more than other oils when hot. My bikes seem (to me) run better on the Rotella, nothing (engine/transmission wise) has exploded or locked up, it costs less and is readily available. That makes it a winner in my book.

Again, glad we have choices...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »
Well, I do expect the Motul to perform better but time will tell. The Mobil 1 Racing 4T report posted by Joel provides some interesting comparison. Some Rotella numbers are better and some Mobil 1 numbers are better with the Mobil slightly better at retaining viscosity. I expect the Motul to be better than both. But the main point to me is that at less than half the price, my results indicate the Rotella is more than adequate for 6000 miles.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:01:23 PM by lather »

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »
Katata, So far we have had 2 oil sample reports on two different bikes running Rotella. Care to send an oil sample of your bike oil into Blackstone when it gets to 3 or 6k miles?

Offline katata1100

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
Katata, So far we have had 2 oil sample reports on two different bikes running Rotella. Care to send an oil sample of your bike oil into Blackstone when it gets to 3 or 6k miles?
Sure, but you'll have to wait awhile as I just changed it last month, switched out the Maxima Ultra with Redline 5-40 bike oil. I plan on having 3000 miles on it by Mid Oct as I will be taking on a few long trips between now and then.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
For all the arguing discussion about oil on the 'Net, there is really precious little information (data) available. The only research specifically about motor oil performance in reciprocating auto engines that I am aware of was a report done by Consumer Reports some years ago. IIRC it was a 60K mile test starting with either new or rebuild engines, measured before assembly, and then installed in NYC taxis and used with various oil types and brands. The results were inconclusive: all oils seemed to perform the same.

Even if we had enough documentation on used oil analysis we still would not know how the oil was performing as a lubricant, at least beyond the obvious failure which I do not think any of us really expect. I am a fan of things like these oil reports and appreciate those who take the time to post them but no one can really judge the performance of a motor oil based on those reports.

I think what is going on is that all oil is so very good that the differences don't really show up. If someone was to use oil that was from, say, 70 years ago (before modern detergents and multi- weight technology) then I would expect to see a difference in engine lifespan and performance deterioration. Otherwise I believe we can use any / all oil available to use with confidence.

One thing I am surprised at is those of you who find the shifting of your C-14's to be good using the new Rotella synthetic 5W-40. Mine shifted like it had sand in the gearbox when Shell reformulated that stuff and I ended up going to the mineral Rotella, 15W-40 weight.

But all of this does make for an interesting thread.

Brian

Well, I do expect the Motul to perform better but time will tell. The Mobil 1 Racing 4T report posted by Joel provides some interesting comparison. Some Rotella numbers are better and some Mobil 1 numbers are better with the Mobil . I expect the Motul to be better than both. But the main point to me is that at less than half the price, my results indicate the Rotella is more than adequate for 6000 miles.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »
Mine does shift better with the regular good ole Rotella, and it is cheaper too. :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey