Author Topic: Want to Get My Wife Into Camping  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
Want to Get My Wife Into Camping
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »
I did a bit of camping when I was a kid and I've been wanting to do it for the last 3 years, but my wife is a bit unsure. Her biggest concern is the bathroom situation as she's a concerned with having to deal with a dirty bathroom, nor am I for that matter.  :pukeface:

I was curious as to what you've folks have done to try and get your significant others involved. She is willing to try it, but I want to make sure she enjoys it. Any advice?

One other thing, for those who do camp with the Concours, can you share some photos with the bike packed? I'm just trying to get an idea as to what you do.

Thanks,

-Chris

Offline Mettler1

Re: Want to Get My Wife Into Camping
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »
    A friend told me once. "If you want your wife to share your interest make sure she is comfortable!"
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »
I prefer camping at Marriott  properties myself
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »
Her comfort is my main priority! We did "camp" at the Hampton Inn last year but it got to be expensive.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »
I prefer camping at Marriott  properties myself

Hilton for mine  ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »
We did the tent for two campouts.  Then a pop-up for a year.  Then a full up travel trailer with queen bed, double stainless steel sink, fridge/freezer, full bathroom.  I got to cook outdoors and we enjoyed the campfire, hiking, biking etc.  She got her comfy bed, AC, and no trekking into the woods to pee.

Maybe a toy hauler.  Then you can set up base camp and take day rides on the bike together.

I still tent camp with friends or alone. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »
I also prefer the Textile Hilton, and the wife does occasionally come along.

Campground cleanliness: No guaranties. That being said(I hate that phrase almost as much at the end of the day), due diligence is important.

Read up on reviews of places you plan to go. Look at the facilities before you set up. Don't be afraid to cut and run, especially if you follow the advice in the next sentence. Get where you're going early. Don't even think about putting up a tent in a storm, get a room.

There are different levels of camping, from KOA style to stealth. At least in the beginning, you may want to tend toward the former. ;)

BUY DECENT GEAR!!!! Walmart/Target and lower end Coleman tents all suck. Waking up wet at 3a.m. does really suck. My last cheap Coleman tent got shredded the first trip out down in the Keys. No more junk for us.

I do prefer to camp, you can sleep in your own stuff, no bed bug worries. Most folks at campgrounds are easy to chat up, and you can travel a lot farther and more often if you save $50-100/night in lodging, at least in my case.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
    A friend told me once. "If you want your wife to share your interest make sure she is comfortable!"

+1... This is how we camp and mama loves it!  :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:52 AM »

+1... This is how we camp and mama loves it!  :thumbs:

+1 with the mobile hotel room!

We did the tent thing with the kids for years, then moved up to a pop-up after a rain filled weekend. Now we pull around our hotel room and pretend we're roughing it.

If you really want to get into camping you may want to start out taking the cage then work your way up to taking the bike. Don't forget to make a list of all the things that you need to take. Its pretty aggravating to get to your campsite and start setting up only to find out that you forgot something, like and extra tarp for rain or the tent pegs or the hambuger buns or...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:11 AM »
We did the tent for two campouts.  Then a pop-up for a year.  Then a full up travel trailer with queen bed, double stainless steel sink, fridge/freezer, full bathroom.  I got to cook outdoors and we enjoyed the campfire, hiking, biking etc.  She got her comfy bed, AC, and no trekking into the woods to pee.

Maybe a toy hauler.  Then you can set up base camp and take day rides on the bike together.

I still tent camp with friends or alone.

I have seen these before and they are quite intriguing and practical but not my style at this point. But it is something I've thought about down the road as an option.

I also prefer the Textile Hilton, and the wife does occasionally come along.

Campground cleanliness: No guaranties. That being said(I hate that phrase almost as much at the end of the day), due diligence is important.

Read up on reviews of places you plan to go. Look at the facilities before you set up. Don't be afraid to cut and run, especially if you follow the advice in the next sentence. Get where you're going early. Don't even think about putting up a tent in a storm, get a room.

There are different levels of camping, from KOA style to stealth. At least in the beginning, you may want to tend toward the former. ;)

BUY DECENT GEAR!!!! Walmart/Target and lower end Coleman tents all suck. Waking up wet at 3a.m. does really suck. My last cheap Coleman tent got shredded the first trip out down in the Keys. No more junk for us.

I do prefer to camp, you can sleep in your own stuff, no bed bug worries. Most folks at campgrounds are easy to chat up, and you can travel a lot farther and more often if you save $50-100/night in lodging, at least in my case.

I plan on buying a Marmot tent and the rest of my gear at REI. As for bailing on the campground that is sound advice, but would they refund me? What do you mean by KOA style? I get the stealth part, but do mean actual campgrounds? Are there any sites that give reviews?

I talked in length last night with her and her biggest concern is the bathroom situation. She's fine with the bugs, sleeping outdoors part, etc. I also told her that when we are on a trip, we will stay at a hotel a couple of nights as well especially for laundry.

One major concerns is packing the bike and fitting everything we need. I plan on doing a "trial run" at a local campground in New England to work out the kinks!!

-Chris

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »
Chris, you can find campground reviews by state here; http://www.motocampers.com/?

KOA style is commercial campgrounds with all that goes with that type thing. Some do have nice tent areas and always have laundry facilities.

http://koa.com

My best advise is to keep everything as lightweight and simple as possible. I look at camping as Living outdoors, my tent is nothing more than sleeping quarters.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »
You need to get a campground directory like this one- http://www.woodalls.com/online-store/ProductDetails.aspx?itemNumber=288V
It has reviews and lists of amenities for most US campgrounds.
By the way, I much prefer our travel trailer than hotels. I know when the sheets were changed and who was in them last. Never bring an ultra violet light into a hotel room if you ever want to stay in one again!

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »
I may understand the term differently than others, but I believe stealth camping is w/o a campground, w/o permission, whether on public or private lands.

Regardless of that, you might want to check out the International Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers.  http://ibmc.org/  They have been around for a long time.  I never joined, but they may have a lot of useful information for you.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
You need to get a campground directory like this one- http://www.woodalls.com/online-store/ProductDetails.aspx?itemNumber=288V[/url

I've found Woodalls to be worthless for tent campers. Many campgrounds are listed as having Tent Sites when in fact they have none.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »
My wife camped once on the ground in 1980 and got a sinus headache, so me moved to a pop up trailer. All was good until we spent two weeks in Colorado and it rained 13 days, so we moved to a fullsize camper in 2000. Queen sized bed, radio, tv, microwave, coffee, a/c, heat, yada, yada. All's good.

To this day, she'll tell you in a minute that she doesn't pee in a hole in the ground, but KOA style works. (KOA also has Kampin Kabins which are little log cabins w/A/c if you want to throw in one every 3 days or so on laundry day. I just make sure we've got a decent bathhouse with flush toilets and she's good to go.

I personally like Woodall but for RV's. For cheap, look into state parks. Most states now have a web site where you can see if they have showers and so forth.

REI typically takes anything back for any reason from members. Marmot's a good tent, I've got one.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
I picked up the tent this afternoon and I'm pretty impressed with the weight of it. I did look at some sleeping bags and if I want to have a sleeping bag that can stuff sacked to less than 10 liters, I'll be spending a bit more that I wanted. HOWEVER, we are REI Members and do get a 20% each, so that will help. Like I said, her biggest concern is the bathroom situation. If it's clean, then she's very happy!! I told her that if we did a 10 day trip for example, we would stay at a hotel 3 nights which she was happy with. After spending close to $1K on hotel rooms last year on our trip, we need to bring the costs down a bit.

Thank you all for the links to the reviews. I've been reading quite a few and I think I found a few good ones for our trial run that seem to have a pretty good reviews. As an FYI, I did find this site that seems pretty decent for those looking for another one. http://rvparkreviews.com/

-Chris

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »
Oh, and btw, sleeping bag ratings are about 10-15 degrees optimistic. Figure 10 degrees minus from room temperature for every one inch of "loft" (thickness of the bag on a level surface). So a bag that is 4" thick would be good for about 72 degrees MINUS 40 degrees(4X10 degrees per inch) or about 32 degrees. (out of the wind and rain of course). Synthetic is warm even when wet, down is NOT. But you probably knew that..  :D
2014 C-14 Red

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 07:28:46 PM »
I plan on buying a Marmot tent and the rest of my gear at REI. As for bailing on the campground that is sound advice, but would they refund me?

Probably not. I virtually never get a reservation, I do not like being locked into an itinerary. Virtually all private campgrounds can come up with at least a spot somewhere to pitch a tent, while a lot of public campgrounds will turn you away if the official sites are full. I prefer private campgrounds over public, for this and fewer rules, etc. Most have a really nice tent section, or at least decent, some superb. I always ask if they have a "cash" rate, and that I do not need a receipt. Sometimes it helps. ;)   I do make it a point to avoid KOA, though.

I talked in length last night with her and her biggest concern is the bathroom situation. She's fine with the bugs, sleeping outdoors part, etc. I also told her that when we are on a trip, we will stay at a hotel a couple of nights as well especially for laundry.

A lot of times, I'll set up a "Shamrock Tour", like from Road Runner magazine. I'll set up in a spot for 2-3 nights and explore the area in more depth. I'm usually at a private campground, a lot have laundry facilities. Just kinda work it in.  Actually stayed at a private campground near Kitwanga Junction, BC that had free laundry and free detergent. $12, clean showers, in the pines, next to a canyon, and free laundry. Whats not to like?

One major concerns is packing the bike and fitting everything we need. I plan on doing a "trial run" at a local campground in New England to work out the kinks!!

Truly a good idea.

Something I've learned lately is to just say no to cotton. Synthetic and high tech wicking clothing take a lot less space and can be "laundered" in the shower, and the stuff will dry very quickly. It's a lot more comfortable to wear, especially in the heat/humidity.

Dunno iff'n I mentioned before but check this out for a check list:

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

-Chris

SteveJ.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
Its one of THOSE nights. I'm hoping my wife will get into camping as well....as long as I dont have to go.

Seriously, I dont know who would not enjoy camping after waking up, enjoying clean air, and smelling a nice, strong cup of "jungle coffee".

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
Love camping but hate campgrounds. I camp from my DR650 and go to the middle of nowhere. So bringing the wife is right out. Like the others said when camping with the wife my campground is Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn.

This is my idea of motorcycle camping, over 10,000' altitude and 10 miles from the nearest paved road: