Author Topic: Help, PCV install gone awry...  (Read 12405 times)

Offline papaboomboom

Help, PCV install gone awry...
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:10:41 PM »
Did fly removal, PCV install with fuel moto map today. Bike starts and runs fine but stalled a few times the first time out especially when you whack the throttle and then whack it shut. Its like the PCV just cuts out for a second. Starts right up though. Could this be a fuel map issue or is the ecu learning??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:06:59 PM by VirginiaJim »
Yes, they're real...and they is sensational...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Did you calibrate the throttle position sensor in the PC software?

Offline papaboomboom

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »
nope, but TPS was at zero and watched the revs (on computer) go up and down. This seemed like a short circuit in the PCV where it cut out for a second.
Weird but when hot, I drove it back to my garage at modest speed with no problem. Double checked connectors and battery connections and everything is tight.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »
Do know what your warm idle was before the PC and what it is now? You might need to turn it up to 1100-1200 rpm.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »
Do know what your warm idle was before the PC and what it is now? You might need to turn it up to 1100-1200 rpm.

Bingo!  That is exactly what I had to do.  Fixed my issue immediately.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline papaboomboom

Re: Help, PCV install gone awry...
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
not an idle problem. I was throttling on in a turn and it was like someone shut the bike off. I checked idle on dyno software and it is spot on at approx. 1200 rpm.

Offline papaboomboom

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
I suspect an intermittet connector. Unfortunately, this will take some riding time to diagnose. I am having a custom map done in the next few weeks.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
What did you do for your ground location? 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline papaboomboom

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »
ground connected to radiator reservoir top bolt which is in the engine block.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 03:59:44 AM »
Have you disconnected the PC?

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 06:56:09 AM »
nope, but TPS was at zero and watched the revs (on computer) go up and down. This seemed like a short circuit in the PCV where it cut out for a second.
Weird but when hot, I drove it back to my garage at modest speed with no problem. Double checked connectors and battery connections and everything is tight.

If the TPS display on the PC software stays at zero when you twist the throttle, then you definitely need to calibrate the TPS.  Also, make sure your PC is using the lastest firmware.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline papaboomboom

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
TPS monitor on software is at 0 at throttle rest. throttle twist shows nice increase in revs...working just as it should. I will ride this week and see about intermittency. It could be a defective unit but only time will tell.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »
From PCV install guide

TPS CALIBRATION
It is important that the PCV software TPS read 0% when the
bike is fully warmed up and at idle. If it needs to be reset
make sure the bike is fully warmed up before resetting. With
the engine on, click on Reset, open throttle to the stop and
close, then click OK. If your bike has fly-by-wire throttle only
reset the throttle position on a dynamometer.

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »
Do yourself a favor and connect a jumper wire from the PCV ground wire directly to the battery - terminal. I grounded mine in the same spot you spoke of and had similar problems. The bike finally just died entirely, even though the connector was secure. Our framework on that side of the bike is a pretty terrible ground.

If that doesn't work, call Dynoject: they have fantastic tech support. The first thing they will tel you is to try a better ground, though. :)

Offline papaboomboom

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
Well, I'm a biker chic with big boobs but I pride myself on being well-educated (phd) and reasonably smart. I mistakenly followed the instructions from DynoJet to use the radiator reservoir top bolt as my ground. A simple solution: I removed the battery cover door. In front of the battery I could see through the engine compartment. I fed a line from the battery side, past the throttle bodies and out the other side. I crimped a loop connector and fastened it to the battery ground, cut the ground wire on the PCV and and soldered/waterproof shrink-wrapped the new wire to the existing PCV ground.

About an hour in time, but install was easy. Needed to remove fairing stuff (top, center, glove box, windscreen (to remove single push pin).

Problem solved...............turned on accelerator pump and will see how that works.

Initial impression is that 2nd gear (around town) has significantly more grunt.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
Well, I'm a biker chic with big boobs but I pride myself on being well-educated (phd) and reasonably smart. I mistakenly followed the instructions from DynoJet to use the radiator reservoir top bolt as my ground. A simple solution: I removed the battery cover door. In front of the battery I could see through the engine compartment. I fed a line from the battery side, past the throttle bodies and out the other side. I crimped a loop connector and fastened it to the battery ground, cut the ground wire on the PCV and and soldered/waterproof shrink-wrapped the new wire to the existing PCV ground.

About an hour in time, but install was easy. Needed to remove fairing stuff (top, center, glove box, windscreen (to remove single push pin).

Problem solved...............turned on accelerator pump and will see how that works.

Initial impression is that 2nd gear (around town) has significantly more grunt.

First of all, congrats on fixing the problem.

But now that is out of the way, lets get to the good stuff (and you started it!).  You say you are a female with big boobs.  Whether that (and the boobs) are real or not, thanks for putting that image in my mind.  At my age, that goes a long way!.  But if you are going to brag about being smart and having a PHD, please check the spelling in your signature line where you state the "they're" sensational  ;D
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 06:09:57 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »

Well, I'm a biker chic with big boobs

Sorry, my bad, I'm a dude with a short attention span, my apologies...

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
Gotta love ground faults. :)

...I think the instructions for the install from Dynojet were written once and never looked at again. They tech guys I've spoken to there immediately knew what the problem was about on our bikes, and confided that the instructions listed a pretty ****-poor spot for the ground. Again, if you give them a call they jump through hoops to help you on the spot. :)

...........and education is great, but experience is the real teacher when it comes to working with your hands.  ;D

Cheers

Offline papaboomboom

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 12:09:36 AM »
mea culpa re: "their" In philosophy (of mind) we didn't practice spelling (or obviously proofreading).

I am not one to "work with my hands" unless I know what I am doing. Some folks feel comfortable tearing things apart and learning as they go. I prefer to read assiduously and ask others so that I have a genuine knowledge base at hand. Guess it's my polemic training.

At any rate, the motocicletta mods seem to work well.