Author Topic: Another tire question  (Read 1739 times)

Offline pat8228

Another tire question
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »
Last year I bought Avon Venoms for my bike. They use to be very sticky and i could grind the pegs, but recently the back tire seems to want to slide a lot. If i hit the rear brake fairly hard the back tire locks up and starts sliding easily. I have gone around sharp curves and feel the back tire start to slide out.
Anyone else have this problem or know why it is happening now for?
I do have 16,000 miles on the tires but the tread is still really good. Yes I said they still have very good tread left!
Could the rubber or something be breaking down?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Another tire question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »
That happens with all bike tires. It's called "going off," and it's noticable if you ride alot. I always feel my tires traction degrade before the tread is gone.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »
That happens with all bike tires. It's called "going off," and it's noticable if you ride alot. I always feel my tires traction degrade before the tread is gone.

+1

I think jimmymac summed it up as i have the same problem, over 9k on the shinko 777 rear and 16k on the front avon road-rider, both tires still have good tread on them but they are worn to the point that i can tell they are ''going off'' in my case i will be replacing the front tire in a few weeks with new wheel bearings, im pretty sure the bike will be more stable for about another 1-2k then i'm gonna take a guess and say it will start ''going off'' again as the rear tire will need changing.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:11 AM »
"going off" means too many heat cycles on the tyre.
Effectively every time you ride you vulcanise the rubber with the heat/pressure on the tyre.
On softer tyres this harder rubber wears off so they stay grippy by constantly presenting a fresh surface to the road.
The milder vulcanisation of the carcass and sidewalls doesn't normally have any effect before the tread wears out.

On harder tyres, since the vulcanised rubber doesn't wear off, with time it can build into a thick layer.
The tyre carcass and sidewall vulcanisation can have a noticable effect due to the longer tyre life making the tyre feel stiffer with time/use.
All of this can combine to make a tyre that is dangerous, but technically legal.

My experience of this was with the Michelin 50E/50 combo (crossplies) on the C10.
At 11k miles the tyres still had over 4mm tread but were too scary to ride with, especially in the wet.
It's one of the reasons why I now always use the radials and accept their 6k miles rear tyre life.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline pat8228

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »
Thanks for the responces. I have another question for you....I have the goldwing size tires on the bike now, what is the pros and cons between this size and the stock sizes? Looks like I'll be buying new tires soon and trying to figure out if I should stay with the wing size or go back to stock...I do like the twisties and leaning as much as possible.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
I ride the twisties hard and often, like every day to and from work. Avon stock size for 5K, Shinko Wing size for 500 miles now.

I notice very little difference, and have drug all sorts of stuff on both sets. Initial feel is a little different, like the first 100 yards or so, but then they both act the way I like them: I never know they are there. The don't slide or make noise.

If the Avons would wear better for me I would continue with them. If the Shinkos give me better mileage I will probably return, same mileage would be in a price war.

I do like the look of the Avons better.